RV Age Restrictions

RhondaRVs

I'm starting my search for a used RV for full timing next year. One thing I've noticed when looking at RV parks is that many have age restrictions on RVs over 10 years. So it seems that if I buy an used RV, I have to be concerned with how soon I will be restricted from being able to park it in some RV parks. Do folks just plan on buying a new-to-them RV every 7-10 years or so?

Thanks!

Rhonda

This year mine is a 2006 when I check in. Next year it is a 2007 when I check in (& so on). The point being that no one asks for proof of it's age and more often is concerned more about how it looks on the outside. I guess they don't want junkers in there park. Mine looks good so I'm always OK.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Have you checked the prices of the few parks with age restrictions? They are not the level of parks I can afford to frequent. There are many less snobby parks that are happy to take your money, if your rig looks half way decent, so why give it to someone who doesn't want it?

The whole concept is that if they keep the riff-raff out, then the wealthy people with shiny new high-end motorhomes will think their park is somehow better and "exclusive," so is worth the additional fee (though it has the same amenities as others for a fraction of the cost). Some exclude everything but Class As. I generally avoid any RV park that has the word "resort" in its name - just on principle. :rolleyes:

For instance, here's one http://www.bluewaterkey.com/1_resort_rates.html that's only $155-$180/day (their deeply discounted off-season rate on their cheapest sites are as low as $580.50/wk.) My budget is about 1/8th of that.

Then there are others like this one: http://www.bellaterrarvresort.com/ownership/ where a prime spot to park your RV will cost upwards of $100,000 (up to $165k actually). Really? Of course there's an additional $210/mo maintenance fee, which you must pay year round, whether you're parked there or not. That will sure keep the uncouth riff-raff out with their inferior RVs. BTW, did I mention they cater to Class As only? Figures. B)

Of course you can choose a nearby RV park in a better location, right on the beach for $480/mo. ($575/mo. at peak season) without spending $100k+ up front on the lot. That is if you can put up with the indignity of having a lowly 15yr old fiver or Class C parked nearby (Oh, the shame and the indignity!) http://www.docsrvpark.com/rate/ - with no foolish age restrictions. Of course if your slides are held on with duct tape and bailing wire, and there's a blue tarp bungied on the roof to keep out the rain, maybe you should consider a little maintenance, regardless of the age or class of you rig, I'm just sayin'.... ;)

Chip

We are in a 1994 well maintained good looking rig (Bluebird, full body paint still shiny) and have never been turned away nor asked. I fill out registrations forms with the true year.

If a park advertises the 10 year rule either call them or stay elsewhere.

Dan - SKP club member

Rhonda, in most places where that rule exists, its to give the owner a justifiable reason to exclude someone who shows up with an RV in such disrepair that its questionable whether it will be able to drive out the gate when its time to leave. If your RV looks to be in reasonably good mechanical & visual condition, and you don't give the owner other reasons to want you gone, you have nothing to worry about. If your RV looks like the wheels and walls are ready to fall off, then you might have reason to be concerned.

My motorhome is going on 11 yrs old and I've never been questioned on its age at any of the hundreds of RV parks its been in. Of course my motorhome looks and runs like its only 3 years old. I don't know of anyone who's bought a newer RV solely due to concern over this rule, it's ignored 95% of the time.

There are probably a few very upscale country club type RV parks that don't want to associate with anyone having a less than $500,000 RV, where they may actually enforce such a rule. Those are places you and I probably wouldn't want to stay at anyhow.

Jim

Definitely would not want to stay in a place as described byJim2. In fact, we have never liked staying in any RV park except on the beach in Yucatan where one does not have much of a choice.

One meets a much nicer group when boondocking/dispersed camping.

Reed and Elaine (currently mootchdocking in younger son's backyard and spending all day with grandsons who are 1 and 3 years old)

That is not exactly true. I have been to several that want to see the registration when checking in.

In the over 30 plus years of having a RV of various classes. I have never been ask at any, not even one for the age of my RV. That alone to see the registration.

The first one of them to ever want to see my registration. Will only get to see the rear of my MH & Toad as I am leaving.

I guess we go to a different type of campground if you have been asked several times.

Not the first one of any Passport America campgrounds ask about my 16 year old DP. :D

And very few anymore even ask for my license plate number. And they never check to see if the one I write down for them is the right one. :rolleyes:

I can never remember what it is. And I'm not going to go back outside to get it.

I do give them the right name/address & phone number. That is all they need. -_-

I don't even give those grocery chains that have discount cards. Any info that is true. From name/address/phone number etc. Card always works. B)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I own an RV lot in the UP of MI that has the 10 year rule. They, the governing board of lot owners,

does and will make exceptions. They have some 20 year old RVs there but they are well maintained

and still look very good. They will not allow RVs that are not well maintained or are home made or bus conversions.

I knew that when I bought the lot and am happy with the rule.

Definitely would not want to stay in a place as described byJim2. In fact, we have never liked staying in any RV park except on the beach in Yucatan where one does not have much of a choice.

One meets a much nicer group when boondocking/dispersed camping.

Reed and Elaine (currently mootchdocking in younger son's backyard and spending all day with grandsons who are 1 and 3 years old)

"Mootchdocking"!!!!! Love it!!! That's what we are doing also, and having a blast with our 8 year old grandson!!!!!

In the over 30 plus years of having a RV of various classes. I have never been ask at any, not even one for the age of my RV. That alone to see the registration.

The first one of them to ever want to see my registration. Will only get to see the rear of my MH & Toad as I am leaving.

I guess we go to a different type of campground if you have been asked several times.

Not the first one of any Passport America campgrounds ask about my 16 year old DP. :D

And very few anymore even ask for my license plate number. And they never check to see if the one I write down for them is the right one. :rolleyes:

I can never remember what it is. And I'm not going to go back outside to get it.

I do give them the right name/address & phone number. That is all they need. -_-

I don't even give those grocery chains that have discount cards. Any info that is true. From name/address/phone number etc. Card always works. B)

Hi Biker

We are totally in step with all your statements including 30+ years RVing.

Dave O

Rhonda, as you can tell from the above posts.....its not really an issue. Not enough of an issue to be concerned about. My mH is 14 years old and you would never know it. The age varies however at times if you catch my drift.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

OK

If you show up with this fine retro' rig, they might not let you stay at an upscale RV park. Saw this photo on an Aussie caravaners forum

As far as mootchdocking goes, each of our three kids has a spot where we can put our 5th wheel for a week or so. We are not as intrusive as if we were living in the house with them. Each has a 30 amp outlet for us to use if we needed it.

Reed and Elainepost-48662-0-08127500-1442323187_thumb.jpg

I opened this thread wondering if it had to do with age restrictions on the particpants.

A year ago we were at Villanueve State Park in NM and we met a couple that were 84 and still taking off for two to four weeks at a time in their Casita. I said something like "Wow, we're 74 so we have another 10 years of traveling at least!" The reply was something like "Well sonny, you have another 20 since we plan to keep going till we're 95!" She didn't really say "sonny" but it was implied.

Reed and Elaine

Yep. Name/address/phone #, and license plate # when asked for it (infrequently). Even though I carry all my registration paperwork, it is not required in Texas for a private vehicle. If asked, I would tell them I don't have it and don't need it and they can't see it.

2000 Itasca Horizon

300 Cat

2006 Honda CR-V

I keep getting emails from an RV park along the gulf coast inviting me to come visit

for three nights for $99. They only allow Class A MH's that are 38 feet long or longer

and the MH must be less then 15 years old according to their emails. I don't know how they got my name because I have only

had fivers and never a MH.

I keep getting emails from an RV park along the gulf coast inviting me to come visit

for three nights for $99. They only allow Class A MH's that are 38 feet long or longer

and the MH must be less then 15 years old according to their emails. I don't know how they got my name because I have only

had fivers and never a MH.

Obviously fishing , but it seems they dropped their line in the wrong hole . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

Archived