right front tire cupping

bags

I noticed during my pre trip some tire cupping on the right front tire. 30k on tires and 6 year old steers. what should I expect when I go to One Stop truck repair in Co. springs tomorrow? I recently read a post that tire cupping does not get any better. what are the likely causes and repairs?

Thanks JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

There are a lot of parts that can cause it. Could be a case of one or two parts worn bad or several slightly worn to where you are seeing the accumulative effect.

With just one steer tire showing cupping, it could be more likely on that side, like a tie rod end, king pin or shock.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Hey John

Please tell Bob hello from Trey and Susan.

An emergency back in Texas killed our opportunity to get our annual check from Bob this year.

Hope the issue is relatively easy to resolve.

Bob is a very trustworthy person.

Here is a very quick explanation of the possible causes. Could be as simple as a bad tire or shock or (unfortunately) some more extensive issue with the suspension.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

My cupping is on the outside of the tire.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Hi JB As in the earlier post, it could be one or more things. One item that is over looked a lot of times is how the tire is mounted on the wheel. What I mean is the tire off to one side, 1/4 inch. or so. Follow a rib on the side wall of the tire, all the way around, Should be a equal distance from the wheel. If all thing check OK.. a couple of options.... replace the tire and put old one on the rear. Remount the tire...turn it around... put the flat spots on the in side. How much ware, tread, is in the tire, 32's? How long of a section is the tire cupping, !/2. 1/3 all the way around? I have had front steer tire do some strange things... ended up just replacing them. Putting them on the rear. I would be sure and go to a truck tire shop...... a lot more informed on tires , steering , front axel weight, type of driving, ect. Good luck OU812

We fought front tire cupping on our MDT for most of a year, tried about everything we could think of and had several different shops look at it. We finally got lucky and found a good alignment person that realized we had a rear axle alignment issue, put that right and the cupping went away.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

found a good alignment person that realized we had a rear axle alignment issue, put that right and the cupping went away.

x2 on that one.....Especially with a tandem.

Both fronts cupped severely on my 770. The problem was bad kingpins. The kingpins were "going" but I decided that they were "not bad enough yet", got couple more years out of them. But when they "went" they chewed up both fronts which had a ton of thread left on them. Buying two new fronts would have paid for the king pin job so it was a false "savings".

Sorry to be so long in getting back to everyone. Thanks for all the input. I took the truck to Drive Train in Colorado Springs. They were recommended by a tire shop I visited. They advised that a previous owner installed a spring system that was supposed to keep the wheels straight in the event of a blow out. One of the springs came off and that is what the shop said caused the cupping. King pins and bearings are good. Front end is good and I now have a new alignment. thanks for all the help

Take

JB

YEA!!! Glad to hear the good news John.

I keep meaning to call y'all. Hope all is well.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived