Verizon's new rate plans

Ron

I sounds like Verizon will soon get rid of the current 2 year plan for new subscribers. Several other changes as it seems to want to stop subsidizing phones. More here:

http://androidandme.com/2015/08/news/verizon-axes-two-year-contracts-as-it-refreshes-rate-plans/

---ron

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

Technomadia's article on this, http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-introduces-new-mobile-share-plans-effective-august-13/, has some more RV specific information and a response from Verizon that answers some questions.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks Bill, very good article.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just seems things just keep getting to the fulltimers on a regular basis. Just not enough of us to make a difference in the corporate world. The amount of money we spend just for communication alone is unreal. Then add in TV and your paying sometimes more than a months lot rent.

I sometimes think it would be much wiser just to throw it all out the window and go back a few yrs. and actually enjoy the real road! But I'm hooked LOL

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Technomadia's article on this, http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-introduces-new-mobile-share-plans-effective-august-13/, has some more RV specific information and a response from Verizon that answers some questions.

Yikes! What a bad deal . . . at least for me . . .

I signed up for last October's promo and have 40GB for $150.

If I switched over to the new plan, I'd be paying roughly $100 more for the same thing.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Yikes! What a bad deal . . . at least for me . . .

I signed up for last October's promo and have 40GB for $150.

If I switched over to the new plan, I'd be paying roughly $100 more for the same thing.

Try $225 more, since 40GB will be $375.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We just signed up a couple months ago for a data package, and our is cheaper than what is being offered under these new plans. Also cheaper than the Verizon website has listed for their plans. Don't know why - we have the newest jetpack and 4G coverage. 10 G $ 60.00 . We have received 2 billings now and that is what we are being billed also. I'll stick with what we have. I can increase our plan $10 for every 2 additional gigs.

Pat DeJong

Well, first ACA really hit our Pre 65 budget's contingency bucket, and now higher costs for data feed - if I was not so busy hiding from the guys in dark suits, ties, sunglasses and ear pieces - I'd think someone was out go get us that dare a RV'ing nomadic lifestyle!

I've been month to month with Verizon since I bought my first phone from Craigslist to retain our unlimited data. I've had no one contact me from Verizon, but it sure sounds like I'm going to be forced to pick one of the plans outlined by Technomedia. Probably sooner then later. I do have a Corporate Discount for this year, wonder if they'll hold off until that ends? And, what about military, and large corporate discounts - will they exist in this new Verizon account plans landscape? We'll see.

I personally, feel Verizon is hurting themselves by being so greedy on data costs. The time will come, sure - not as soon as many of us would like - when other options for cellular high speed data will become available. Just too many large players developing non standard cellular 'tower by tower' options. When that day comes, sooner the better, Verizon will have an large an longterm customer base - that will be so glad to say 'Goodbye'. They're alienating their customers, or some of them, as mentioned - we are a smaller group of customers then their norm.

Fun times ahead, just going to be bumpy until those times arrive - oh, and more expensive!

Best to all, my the signal be with your!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The carrot Verizon used to get people off unlimited data was subsidizing phones. Now that is gone. Keep your unlimited data and keep buying your phones outright.

The carrot Verizon used to get people off unlimited data was subsidizing phones. Now that is gone. Keep your unlimited data and keep buying your phones outright.

May have miss understood what I've read on different sites. But they way I read things if you have a contract now, things remain the same until the renewal time comes. Then, you will need to pick from one of the existing plans. (It's not like ACA, where if 'You like your plan you can....':)!)

Since I'm already 'month to month' I have no contract. So wondering if at the end of this month, I'll be contacted by Verizon and told to 'pick a plan'? That is a real "?", as very possible I've misread the various articles...

Suppose I, we'll, know soon,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

I talked to a Verizon rep. on Monday. I asked specifically if I would lose my unlimited data plan. She said that I was grandfathered in and wouldn't lose the plan UNTIL I CHANGED to a different plan. So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Sure like the answer, sure hope it is so!! (Probably miss read, or wrong conclusion on my part, about 'When service contract ends. You will need to pick one of the current plans available.')

Fingers, legs, and other body parts - crossed:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

My understanding is that I can keep the plan as long as I don't change the plan in any way. When it comes time that you are eligible for a new phone buy it outright and the plan stays the same.

Is that what you all see?

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Sure like the answer, sure hope it is so!! (Probably miss read, or wrong conclusion on my part, about 'When service contract ends. You will need to pick one of the current plans available.')

Fingers, legs, and other body parts - crossed:)!

Smitty

I, too, am concerned about this as I don't want to lose unlimited data. Would you furnish the source for your above quoted statement please, so that I may read this for myself? Thanks.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Don't know if I ever mentioned this, but last March Verizon offered me a $25 monthly credit for each phone I didn't upgrade. Still using two iPhone5, but now $50 per month cheaper. Wonder how long that will last.

Sold 1995 Travel Units custom 34' 5th, Off the Road, in The Villages FL
Traded 2005 F350 PSD C/C FX4 with TowBoss for a new 2008 Mustang GT

Last month I bought a new LG G4 and paid retail. My unlimited data plan stayed intact. In the past, I have modified how much talk time we wanted. That's OK, as long as you don't change the basic plan.

Yep, now on my fourth phone that I have bought off of either Craigslist (3 of them) or Swappa (one of them). So have been 'paying the price' of a non subsidized phone, in order to retain the 'unlimited data'.

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

I, too, am concerned about this as I don't want to lose unlimited data. Would you furnish the source for your above quoted statement please, so that I may read this for myself? Thanks.

Well, that is my quote. I was only attempting to clarify my concern to Wenvalley, If I read things correctly here, and on other sites and blogs, until 8/12 or so, it was business as usual as far as obtaining subsidized and extending your contracts. So potentially a person could have on say 8/10, got a new subsidized phone, by extending their contract another two years - so they would 'be as is' for two more years. At the end of that time, say 8/10 of 2017 - they'd then need to 'Pick a plan from the new plan structures.' - whatever they maybe two years from now.

Again, as I have been buying my now phones now for sometime, to retain unlimited data, I'm 'month-to-month'. So at the end of this month's billing cycle - what happens to my account? Will I keep going 'month-to-month'? Or, since I' at the end of my month's contract - will I be asked to 'Pick a plan.'

Let me confirm I'd rather be left alone, and continue 'month-to-month' - and retain unlimited data. Sure not wishing for this to go away!!

Sorry if my choice of words, and quotations on trying to clarify a point - were a fumble!!

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Well, that is my quote. I was only attempting to clarify my concern to Wenvalley, If I read things correctly here, and on other sites and blogs, until 8/12 or so, it was business as usual as far as obtaining subsidized and extending your contracts. So potentially a person could have on say 8/10, got a new subsidized phone, by extending their contract another two years - so they would 'be as is' for two more years. At the end of that time, say 8/10 of 2017 - they'd then need to 'Pick a plan from the new plan structures.' - whatever they maybe two years from now.

Again, as I have been buying my now phones now for sometime, to retain unlimited data, I'm 'month-to-month'. So at the end of this month's billing cycle - what happens to my account? Will I keep going 'month-to-month'? Or, since I' at the end of my month's contract - will I be asked to 'Pick a plan.'

Let me confirm I'd rather be left alone, and continue 'month-to-month' - and retain unlimited data. Sure not wishing for this to go away!!

Sorry if my choice of words, and quotations on trying to clarify a point - were a fumble!!

Best,

Smitty

Yes, I understand your concern. I haven't seen or read anything which implies that a customer must use one of the new plans if and when their contract ends.

Here is the word directly from Verizon. In the last sentence of the third paragraph from the bottom, they clearly state that "Current customers can keep their existing plan or move to the new plan, with some restrictions." http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/08/simplified-data-choices-match-customer-lifestyles.html

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Thanks Chirakawa - In all that I read, I missed the 'can keep their existing plan'. But, note that it does not say what happens when that 'current plan' expires? Can you renew it? From the things that I read, admittedly much from the internet before Verizon had even finished rolling out the training to their staff, I got the impression that at that time - 'pick from one of the new plans' was the plan:)!

Time will tell,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Thanks Chirakawa - In all that I read, I missed the 'can keep their existing plan'. But, note that it does not say what happens when that 'current plan' expires? Can you renew it? From the things that I read, admittedly much from the internet before Verizon had even finished rolling out the training to their staff, I got the impression that at that time - 'pick from one of the new plans' was the plan:)!

Time will tell,

Smitty

To my knowledge, Verizon has never expired a current plan or forced anyone off of their present plan. Like you, I've been on the same plan and out of contract for several years. So, when does it "expire"?

I got my new Samsung S6 (SWAPPA - From The Wireless Guys. New in box, for I felt a very fair price.) and went into a Verizon Store to get help activating it and moving things over from my RAZR M.

All the advertisement was displayed throughout the store, for the new plans. The employee helping me, had some problems both technical and also installing a screen protector, so I had plenty of time to listen to four customers getting help from the employees. One gent was not pleased to hear that what he thought would be an inexpensive upgrade of a phone, was not going to happen. His full price of the phone, spread over 24 months, and then needing to 'choose a new plan', really had him upset. The employee was real good and explaining his options to him. But I think the gent sized it up pretty good at the end. His comment was instead of keeping his current plan and writing a check for $99 for the 'subsidized' phone he'd plan on getting. He was walking out of the store with a new phone that was not subsidized, new plan that would provide him 'less data', and the end result was an increase of just under $30 a month to his ongoing bills. (Phone and change of plan.) He asked the employee to stop stressing the 'share' between others, as he pointed out, I'm one person and have one phone!

He was the one that was sitting within 7' of me, so easy to hear. The employee never said it, but another customer close by suggested he just go buy a phone off Craigslist's, and keep his plan as is.

I will complement another employee, that after listening to what another customer was trying to do, suggested she wait to see what the new iPhone 6S (or 7?, assume 6S) to come out. From what I heard, it was spot on advice.

I specifically did not bring up my existing month-to-month relationship with Verizon, as I wanted to see how I would be handled obtaining their assistance on changing over to a phone I had bought elsewhere. The person helping me never brought up anything about the new plan structure, and only looked at my account when Hotspot would not at first fire up. (It was another setting, not a problem with my plan.) So, I was not approached to change over to one of the new plans:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Time will tell,

Smitty

I am currently out of contract and have been for almost a year. I checked with Verizon on the new plans and my current plan is better than any of them. So I'm staying with my old plan, still no contract, and that was Verizon's suggestion. I got the same story from two different phone calls.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Archived