MaximumSignal Update?

MNRon

Here's a link to the FCC tech document Gord referred to earlier. I don't pretend to understand all of it, but it is impressive what Gord and his people had to accomplish in order to meet the new specs!

http://12078.net/archive/KDB_935210_Signal_Booster_Measurements.pdf

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living in Idaho, we either have signal that is great, or signal that isn't so great and in a lot of cases while we travel, we're down to 1x or a faint 3G. I like listening to Pandora / Spotify in the RV and of course, that takes a decent signal. I know I can listen offline and maybe download some stuff, but I just don't. I like the mindless streaming, similar to Sirius/XM, without the fees.

I feel your pain Bigtrace. I live in NE Oregon and we have the same situation when traveling in our mountains too. The reality is that much of the western US does not have LTE coverage yet. This coverage map on the link below will give you a better idea of what VZW's LTE coverage really is. Anything in yellow is roaming on VZW and will be 1x. Anything in light green is still 3G only.

That said, for people like you and I, the crux of the problem is whether or not this new amp will see significant gains in 1X and 3G coverage over older amps like the Cyfre CHA819 etc.., or any of the other new amps currently being marketed. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but observations like "we have signal where we didn't before" are of little use without an explanation on whether this is your first amp, or your umpteeth amp and this new one is getting signal in significantly more places where all your other amps could not before.

For some of us our DW's will have our hides for spending $600 plus on an amp, and we better have a damn good reason for not buying an amp that is significantly less expensive if the less expensive one gets almost as good coverage. (the word almost being purely subjective here)

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/why-page-plus/coverage/

I feel your pain Bigtrace. I live in NE Oregon and we have the same situation when traveling in our mountains too. The reality is that much of the western US does not have LTE coverage yet. This coverage map on the link below will give you a better idea of what VZW's LTE coverage really is. Anything in yellow is roaming on VZW and will be 1x. Anything in light green is still 3G only.

That said, for people like you and I, the crux of the problem is whether or not this new amp will see significant gains in 1X and 3G coverage over older amps like the Cyfre CHA819 etc.., or any of the other new amps currently being marketed. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but observations like "we have signal where we didn't before" are of little use without an explanation on whether this is your first amp, or your umpteeth amp and this new one is getting signal in significantly more places where all your other amps could not before.

For some of us our DW's will have our hides for spending $600 plus on an amp, and we better have a damn good reason for not buying an amp that is significantly less expensive if the less expensive one gets almost as good coverage. (the word almost being purely subjective here)

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/why-page-plus/coverage/

This amplifier has a sensitivity of -127m . your phone stops seeing signal at -113 to - 116. This amplifier will make a signal useable your phone cannot even see. so yes it does work on really really bad signal . the CHA 819 only had a sensitivity to -114 . Wilson/we boost need a signal of -104 according to their own web site. Same engineers designed these as the Cyfre amps . They have learned a few new tricks

Keeping You Connected

Proud Commercial Member #129 http://www.maximumsignal.net/

This amplifier has a sensitivity of -127m . your phone stops seeing signal at -113 to - 116. This amplifier will make a signal useable your phone cannot even see. so yes it does work on really really bad signal . the CHA 819 only had a sensitivity to -114 . Wilson/we boost need a signal of -104 according to their own web site. Same engineers designed these as the Cyfre amps . They have learned a few new tricks

Thanks for the reply Gord. Are you saying that the sensitivity is -127 dbm RSSI? if so, that is smoking good because my Droid without amp can usually make the call at -103, but as soon as it drops to -104 I can't get out anymore.

And I'll just add to what Gord said, that my wife fully supported our MaxAmp purchase and has been just as, if not more, pleased with the performance as I have. She spends more time on the Internet than I do! :D

Dutch

"For some of us our DW's will have our hides for spending $600 plus on an amp, and we better have a damn good reason for not buying an amp that is significantly less expensive if the less expensive one gets almost as good coverage. (the word almost being purely subjective here)"

LOLOL!!! Exactly!!!!!

Aside: My DW is a retired C++ developer, so she is definitely on board for better reception.

I am just figuring out our schedule for the summer to know a good place to have the amp sent. I know it will be useful at Evergreen Coho SKP Co-op in Chimacum WA, where we will be spending a month. I hope it will help at the La Conner WA Thousand Trails, where Verizon is weak and flaky, but AT&T is solid.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'm also thinking about this for my home as well. Here in Idaho, in the summertime when all the trees are in full bloom, like right now, I can stand by any window in my home and face where I know a cell tower is, and barely make a phone call and thats a maybe. Sometimes, I have to get up and move a bit to see if a better signal pops up 20 feet away. I've literally pushed the "send" button on my phone and it immediately drops the call without even a ring, yet it won't say "no signal" so I know its right on the verge. I cannot use "advanced calling" or "HD voice" because the flipping back and forth between 4G, 3G and 1x is so crazy that I drop even more calls. All of this, and we live no more than 1 mile from a tower. I've complained to Verizon many times without much success.

My hope is that if it works well enough in an RV that I'd like to get another "Home" version.

I'm going to chime in here... I've been communicating with Gordon now for a year to bring these new systems to the RV market. I also have one of the first production units to test and to create a video showing the parts and basic installation. I have not gone out on the road with it, but let me tell you what I have done so far.

Our rig is currently stored in a steel sided building in rural PA, where using a cell phone outside is marginal and inside is mostly impossible.

I took an 8.5" square piece of steel plate with the mag mount antenna and placed it on the left rear corner of the roof and ran the coax in through the bedroom window. I'm planning to install the amp in the open space behind the TV in the (bedroom), as this should give me relatively easy access to use the A/C duct to run the indoor antenna coax towards the middle of the coach. I used gaffers tape and temporarily stuck the indoor antenna at various places on the ceiling inside to check that there was enough separation to prevent oscillation and unless I moved the roof antenna way front, the "Red light" did not come on. With the bathroom in mid coach, I think the indoor antenna will end up right next to the sliding door trim in the bathroom, which is right under the A/C duct and basically center of the coach front to rear.

With the garage doors shut, leaving the motorhome inside the steel shielded building, neither my Motorola, nor my wife's LG phone would connect a voice call or show any data access while inside the coach. After turning on the booster, both phone would connect voice calls and were showing either 3G or 4G data connections. The voice calls we made were clear and without any dropouts. I did not do any data speed tests to generate any numbers, but in my book there is no doubt that the MaxAmp system gave me a usable signal where there was none without it.

I'm very impressed and anxious to get on the road with it installed.

Don Sweger

tvformyrv dot com

Smitty,

Yes, that is with the mag mount recommended by Gordon... I like his reasoning for the mag mount. It performs as well as the trucker, but it's easier to install and as he says, if it gets hit by a tree limb, simply set it back up on the steel plate. His idea of using an old saw blade for the mounting and ground plane is great. Keep it simple. No holes, no screws, no muss, no fuss.

His idea of using an old saw blade for the mounting and ground plane is great. Keep it simple. No holes, no screws, no muss, no fuss.

Several years ago I bought a piece of "magnetic" stainless and stuck it to the roof with the double-sided tape meant for automotive trim. The tape has held up under all weather conditions, as it is designed to do. Just another approach to a no screws, no holes ground plane.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

My plan is to use Dicor to "stick" the metal groundplane to the roof. Before I stick it to the roof, I'm going to coat it with rust converter and then paint it... I've had really good luck with painted steel after using the "rust converter" as a primer, and then painting over top of the converter.

The double-sided tape idea is a good one. I like it.

Magnetic stainless is an oxymoroon. Magnetic stainless is really stainless with too much carbon to be really stainless.... LOL

My plan is to use Dicor to "stick" the metal groundplane to the roof. Before I stick it to the roof, I'm going to coat it with rust converter and then paint it... I've had really good luck with painted steel after using the "rust converter" as a primer, and then painting over top of the converter.

The double-sided tape idea is a good one. I like it.

Magnetic stainless is an oxymoroon. Magnetic stainless is really stainless with too much carbon to be really stainless.... LOL

10" Saw Blade, new and with a coat of paint on it. I lighted sanded it, and applied two coats of rust protecting off white spray paint. I used a dab of 3M 5200 on a few spots under the blade, and then circled the cutting edge of the plane with RTV sealant - it's anchored pretty good to the fiberglass roof:)!

On my 13" magnetic antenna, I left enough slack in wire (coiled with a velcro strap around it, and then the velcro also attached to it's counter part also glued to the roof0 to allow the ability to raise this up on a pole about 8-9', if ever needed. (I have a telescoping pole with an adjustable elbow end. Have a metal dust pan that will slide onto the end of this poles elbow, turned horizontally, so the 13" magnet antenna will have something to stick to, and still provide a sound plane. (Yeah, it will look funny:)! I'm just going to velcro strap the pole to the side of the ladder for now. If I find I need it a lot, I'll set up a more permanent PVC Schedule 80 pole holder. (Have not used the pole dust pan yet, but having it is just another tool in the tool box.)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

One more update on performance. We're at Highland Ridge COE in Spring Valley, WI today. Signal so weak that neither my wife's ATT iPhone or my Verizon Samsung S6 could even get a Text message out.

Turned on the Max Signal AMP, and placing the Verizon Samsung S6 8" away (Testing on the top of the glass cabinet, balanced on edge:)!) from the inside antenna. I'm now able to get very slow 4G Data coverage.

The camp host stopped by to chat, and was nice enough to let us know that if we were to go up the hill towards the bathroom bathroom area, or drive out to the opening just as you go by where they have their campground with horses, we should be able to get voice and text. When I explained that we were OK with our amplifier, he called his wife to come over. We're in space 1, down in the lowest trough in the campground. And, were sounded by deep coverage of Wisconsin forrest trees. Those thick green leaves, really play havoc on signals. So they were lightly impressed, and made me write down the name of the amp... (Now Gord, no reason to send me a finders fee on this one:)!)

Fast? No! But classic example of where no normal coverage, and we now have coverage. And, as one more fun factoid. I revoked up our WeBoost Sleek. No help on obtaining a signal - and I did not expect that it would, as it is not in the same league as the WeBoost bigger full RV Amps, and obviously not the same as the Max Signal Amp:)!

So for this isolated tests location - Happy Camper!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Respectfully, that's not true. The classes known as Ferritic and Martensitic stainless steels are ferromagnetic. https://www.cartech.com/techarticles.aspx?id=1476

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I mounted my 12"x18" powder coated steel plate with 3M double sided trim tape, the same stuff the car builders use to attach trim on new cars. The edges were then sealed with Dicor, and the wires passed to the inside via a Winegard 4-slot cable entry plate.

Dutch

Smitty,

Yes, that is with the mag mount recommended by Gordon... I like his reasoning for the mag mount. It performs as well as the trucker, but it's easier to install and as he says, if it gets hit by a tree limb, simply set it back up on the steel plate. His idea of using an old saw blade for the mounting and ground plane is great. Keep it simple. No holes, no screws, no muss, no fuss.

Smitty,

On the maximum signal website it says for optimal performance they recommend the truckers antenna. Maybe Gordon will chime in here and clear it up on which he would recommend.

Gary

Smitty,

On the maximum signal website it says for optimal performance they recommend the truckers antenna. Maybe Gordon will chime in here and clear it up on which he would recommend.

Gary

The antennas are about the same but the mag mount outperforms it's published numbers . Best antenna I sell dollars to performance . We will see when I get enough money to order my redesigned Super Trucker,( all takes $$$). I like that 13 not 30 inches and it is forgiving . You hit trucker with a tree branch and you are buying a new antenna, You just flip mag mount up . Plus new mag mounts I got have 25 feet of cable connected . So you have way more to work with

Keeping You Connected

I ordered mine today and Gord recommended the mag mount. He said that the mag mount had just as good if not better performance than the trucker antenna and was much easier to install. Sold me quickly as I was worried about performance more than anything.

The antennas are about the same but the mag mount outperforms it's published numbers . Best antenna I sell dollars to performance . We will see when I get enough money to order my redesigned Super Trucker,( all takes $$$). I like that 13 not 30 inches and it is forgiving . You hit trucker with a tree branch and you are buying a new antenna, You just flip mag mount up . Plus new mag mounts I got have 25 feet of cable connected . So you have way more to work with

Gordon,

Thanks for responding so quickly,while having the additional cable to work with on the mag mount I'm still trying to figure out how to get 2' of vertical separation between both antennas on my unit.Most fifth wheels that i've seen I would guess maybe 12" at most from roof top to inside ceiling. Are you counting the height of each antenna to get the 2' vertical separation?

Gary

Gordon,

Thanks for responding so quickly,while having the additional cable to work with on the mag mount I'm still trying to figure out how to get 2' of vertical separation between both antennas on my unit.Most fifth wheels that i've seen I would guess maybe 12" at most from roof top to inside ceiling. Are you counting the height of each antenna to get the 2' vertical separation?

Gary

Not needed if you have proper horizontal separation and antennas are mounted as instructed

Keeping You Connected

Gordon,

Gary

I asked the same question about the vertical separation quite awhile back, Gary. As Gord said, as long as you have adequate horizontal separation, it's all good. I have about 15' of horizontal separation, and only about 8" of ceiling/roof separation, and everything is working fine.

Dutch

I asked the same question about the vertical separation quite awhile back, Gary. As Gord said, as long as you have adequate horizontal separation, it's all good. I have about 15' of horizontal separation, and only about 8" of ceiling/roof separation, and everything is working fine.

Thanks Dutch!

Gary

Archived