Got my Garmin 760 Dezl

lappir

Have been looking for a replacement to the Rand McNally since it died a couple years ago. Tried the google maps and CoPilot on the phone and/or tablet and while I like a lot of the stuff on each they are not like the Garmin I had for the Motorcycle or the Rand McNally for the truck. Haven't heard enough good about the RMN to buy another one and the Garmin for the bike after Many years is still going strong. It's on my Cousin's BMW now so I really needed to get a real GPS.

Ebay was the source for a refurbished buy it now free shipping for $227. It arrived Wednesday after ordering on Sunday. Had it shipped to my weekend home for the summer so I didn't open it until last evening. Looks new, has all the papers but didn't come in the Garmin box. Charged it up last night in the car (no 110 volt adapter) and played around with it a little bit. Did the smart phone link and now have location and temperature on the screen. I might like that. I am hoping it works better with my Bluetooth than the 660 for the motorcycle. I do plan to use it some on the bike. In fact first trip with it will be going back to work tomorrow. It's only 90 miles so hopefully the battery will last an hour and a half. I will want to hard wire the power to it if it works where I want to place it on the bike.

So, anyone have any experience with this model? It's supposed to have a log for fuel ans such but I didn't find info on it in the operators manual. Haven't played a lot with the device yet. It did ask for the truck mileage when I first turned it on in the truck mode. Wish it would do that in all modes. I could then have it track all three of my vehicles. RV=motorcycle, Truck=Truck and trailer and car is the VX

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod,

Go to the Garmin website and download the users manual.

It is fairly comprehensive and easy to understand.

I have one which we use in both our Volvo toter and smart.

I think you will be pleased once you get orientated on its use. Bluetooth works on my cell phone just great.

ShortyO

There is NO perfect GPS. That said, I've tried the Rand McNally 7710RVND when it first came out. Almost $400 for a HUGE disappointment. Bad hardware AND software. The Class 7 HDT Super C Dynamax RV I bought last year had Rand McNally 720 software pre-installed in the radio / entertainment system. Sadly, said system is NOT WiFi enabled. I have to monkey around with a micro SD card for map upgrades. The software is somewhat improved but, I still would NOT recommend Rand McNally. I looked at a Magellan unit and was not impressed. I bought the 5" dezl about a year ago. Danged if I can find a setting to enter how much propane I'm carrying (I only see a HAZMAT setting which does NOT list propane). At the EC HDT rally last spring, I heard good things about CoPilot software. Some time later, it went on sale for $100 (usually $150). I happened to have an iTunes Music Store $100 gift card I picked up for $75 so, I got CoPilot for half price. Buying CoPilot for iOS, I can legally install it on all my iOS devices (iPhone and iPads). CoPilot does NOT run on Mac OS X though. Had I bought Copilot for Android or Windows, I could only run it on a single device. I know that various software solutions are available for Windows OSes but, although I do have a Windows laptop, I much prefer using Mac OS.

AllStays has an excellent Camp & RV App that regularly gets updated. Available on iOS and Android, it's a whopping $9.99 (and is sometimes offered for less). Again, a single iOS purchase allows legal installation on all your iOS devices. Using AllStays on the larger screen of an iPad (or even an iPad Mini) makes using that software much easier on the eyes. If you don't have AllStays, I'd recommend it.

We use the Dezl 760, have been for about 2 years. It is easy to update, easy to read in use, voice command is really sweet (no bluetooth needed), and is not too difficult to load a route from Garmin's Basecamp app. There are a number of other really nice features about this GPS unit.

HOWEVER....

Mounting it on a motorcycle when a 660 is available would not be among my first projects. Not made for that. Involves changing the vehicle parameters, which, although simple, has to be remembered and changed both ways. It isn't meant for weather. If you insist, using it in the car makes way more sense.

If you need some help with the thing, send me a PM with a phone # and I'll try to help you out.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

"Mounting it on a motorcycle when a 660 is available would not be among my first projects." I HAD a 660 but gifted it to my cousin and it's still going strong.

Well my hope for one GPS to do all I want it to won't happen. Can't Bluetooth to My UClear from the Dezl, because it's "not a phone". I was wanting a larger screen than what is currently available for "Motorcycles" too. Will have to live with the Tablet and the frequent need to restart Copilot or Google maps that I have had. I also really don't like the Micro USB for trying to keep the battery up for the time I really need the GPS. Maybe that's why they always time out, but why does it have to be when I am trying to decide if I want to stray off course...

I only have the motorcycle with me now so I won't get to check how it works until maybe next weekend when I might drive the car. The next time the truck will move is probably mid to late October.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I have been using a Dezl 760 for about 3 years. Coming from the older Garmin GPS/chart plotters I had a real hard time navigating the touch screen menus....too easy I guess! Not like I spend a lot of time playing with it since I'm driving, but have gotten used to it.

When paired to the phone, the traffic and weather alerts are convenient but sometimes it doesn't want to pair.....

Another thing I find annoying with setting up the RV vehicle profile is that if you input 8.5' width it will route you around to some pretty far away places..... I just use the car profile to eliminate this.

I also loaded the older topo maps into it, but they don't work all that great when compared to my old 276C. If you are only going to use it for the road, I guess it's OK.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

You can set the unit for either RV or Truck. Truck mode allows you to set the rig width, height, length, weights, etc. I tried the RV mode initially, but at the end of the day, the Truck mode is IMHO far more practical, since, for all intents and purposes, we are a "Truck" when on the road.

Also, try the voice command feature. Does not require Bluetooth. Just turn it on and activate it by saying "Voice Command". You can do an amazing number of tasks without ever touching the device. It is a little sensitive to cab / wind noise, but not bad.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Archived