Electricity Power

usaperuvian

Someone mentioned this week that our TV should be able to play even if the generator is off because we have solar and backup batteries. Is this true? We can't use any plug in devices unless we are plugged to electricity or run the generator.

Joani & Alberto, 1999 Rexhall Rexair 3550

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Our two dogs always travel with us, Badger 12 years old & Sheba 6 years old

If you have an inverter, ...converts 12 VDC to 120 VAC, or the TV is powered by 12 VDC.

Otherwise, no TV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Yes there is an inverter on the rig. So I guess I will take it to the service dept and find out why it isn't working properly.

We named our RV Our Casita and got personalized Idaho license plates "RCASITA" because it is our little house in spanish,

Yes there is an inverter on the rig. So I guess I will take it to the service dept and find out why it isn't working properly.

Are you sure that you have an inverter, or might it be that what you have is a converter which simply changes 120V-ac when available into 12V-dc to recharge the batteries and supply 12V power. Looking at the Casita website, there is no inverter offered as an option that I could find. Like Biker, I highly doubt that you have an inverter as you probably only have 1 battery and an inverter would drain it completely very quickly. On the other hand, your profile says that you have a 1999 Rexair and it could have an inverter.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Before going to a repair place, try to locate someone with in an RV with solar panels, and/or ask around for someone who has some knowledge of solar panels and inverters.

It is quite probable, as mentioned earlier, that you don't have an inverter. The battery(s) you have in the Casita are probably for the lights, water pump and the refrigerator control panel. The solar panel may be pretty small and is there to keep the battery charged for light usage and not for supplying enough power to run a TV for any length of time, such as evening use over several days.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

We named the RV Rcasita because it means our little house in spanish. We didn't buy a Casita brand trailer. We own a 1999 Rexhall Rexair which we love. Just learning our rig and what it can do.

Best to put your RV Info in your signature. That way when you ask a question you will get better responses.

You may or may not have a Inverter/charger.

Are they power at the plug the TV plugs into when not on shore power?

Or any 120V plugs have power when not on shore power?

Is the Inverter turned on?

Are they 2 6V house batteries?

Are they fully charged?

Do they have distilled water above the plates?

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Updated signature and we have 2 brand new house batteries but I don't know if the inverter is turned on, I'll ask my husband.

Are you sure that you have an inverter? They were not common in 1999 and with only two batteries, it wouldn't be able to supply power to much for very long. Most likely if you have an inverter it only supplies the TV and perhaps a CD player and satellite receiver.

in our file box, there is a diagram of 4 batteries and an inverter, so I assumed we had the set up. But when my husband went to look there are only two batteries and an inverter (which is not hooked up)

Sounds like when it was time to replace batteries the previous owners were planning on getting rid of the unit and cheaped out. OR the inverter has a problem and they cheaped out. :wacko:

Edit: If you were close to us I would be more than happy to check it out for you.... :)

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

Sounds like when it was time to replace batteries the previous owners were planning on getting rid of the unit and cheaped out. OR the inverter has a problem and they cheaped out. :wacko:

Edit: If you were close to us I would be more than happy to check it out for you.... :)

Dave

Dave, that was sweet of you to offer. RVers are such a helpful set of people.

The first thing you need to do is to get a good meter and do some checking. When you are connected to shore power, do your batteries get recharged? If they do then you have something that is converting 120V-ac into 12V-dc to do that. That is probably a converter and not an inverter. Does it look like there used to be 4 batteries where the two now are?

If you share your present location there is a fairly good chance that someone on the forums may be close enough to take a look at things for you. Another way that we might be able to help you would be for you to post some pictures of what you have in the battery area.

Kirk, tomorrow I will go and take pictures and look. I've never looked but he has. I'm near Boise Idaho. Thanks.

Have met the nicest folks in Casitas from young travelers to a great couple that were 85. The 85 year olds did have two portable panel of about 100 W each. Googled batteries for Casitas and the Casita forum discusse putting in a second battery.

We met a couple of our age (middle 70s) who had caravaned to Panama and back a few years ago. They were not sure of one couple who went on the trip with no spare for their trailer.

Reed and Elaine

Archived