Freedomline vs. "The Contraptionator"

BandBuds

After having our truck singled in eastern North Carolina by a small shop that in hindsight wasn't capable, I have had a manually shifted Freedomline transmission. We took the truck to the Volvo dealer in Chesapeake, VA and was told to replace the brake control module to one for a single axle truck, but we had the wheel speed sensors from the axle that was removed installed 180 degrees opposite the existing sensors on the drive axle hoping the brake control module would "see" the nonexistent axle. That didn't work, and I just got used to shifting manually. Remembering the difficulty Bluenoser had with his truck a few years ago, I was reluctant to hand it over to have parts replaced without confidence of a competent repair.

After discussing the issue a number of times with Vern Penner (Wrknrvr), he asked if i wanted him to try and figure out a solution to the non shifting Freedomline. I was hopeful, as his wife has dubbed him "The Contraptionator" for his ability to figure out unique solutions to extraordinary problems. I'm not sure my description of the process and sequence of events in the investigation toward the repair will be complete or accurate, but I believe Vern will follow along here and make the necessary corrections. It was a bit of a team effort with Cindy, my bride doing research and printing out some diagrams and manuals for the Wabco ABS, and I was the designated tool fetcher.

Vern checked out the ABS actuator valve and determined that should be replaced, so one was ordered through the Volvo dealer in Missoula, MT by way of Detroit. During the 2 days it took to get it we jacked up the rear and manually spun the tires to check if the wheel speed sensors were working properly. One wasn't, so it was purchased and replaced. After a test drive showed no improvement, Vern began checking continuity of the wiring harness between the brake control module and the ABS actuator valve and discovered a problem. A replacement harness was about $700, so we decided to splice a new wire between the connectors on each end of both sides of the actuator valve. Yesterday we took the Sonshine Express out for a test drive, and there was no beeping alarm, nor a "SM" message on the instrument display. The truck shifted perfectly and there is no longer a constantly illuminated "ABS" warning light! Yippee!!! Vern is without a doubt "The Contraptionator"

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

Glad it worked out well for you.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hey great for you guys to get that done. That Vern is quite a guy for sure!! We had a front Jack on the MS strike a sidewalk on an exit one time and broke it off inside at the frame. Vern came to our next stop and welded it all up like new right on the site!

Enjoy the "Freedom" while driving now! :)

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I wasn't aware that you'd been having problems since the singling, Jeff. Congratulations to you and Cindy on getting your "Freedom" back!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

After having our truck singled in eastern North Carolina by a small shop that in hindsight wasn't capable, I have had a manually shifted Freedomline transmission. We took the truck to the Volvo dealer in Chesapeake, VA and was told to replace the brake control module to one for a single axle truck, but we had the wheel speed sensors from the axle that was removed installed 180 degrees opposite the existing sensors on the drive axle hoping the brake control module would "see" the nonexistent axle. That didn't work, and I just got used to shifting manually. Remembering the difficulty Bluenoser had with his truck a few years ago, I was reluctant to hand it over to have parts replaced without confidence of a competent repair.

After discussing the issue a number of times with Vern Penner (Wrknrvr), he asked if i wanted him to try and figure out a solution to the non shifting Freedomline. I was hopeful, as his wife has dubbed him "The Contraptionator" for his ability to figure out unique solutions to extraordinary problems. I'm not sure my description of the process and sequence of events in the investigation toward the repair will be complete or accurate, but I believe Vern will follow along here and make the necessary corrections. It was a bit of a team effort with Cindy, my bride doing research and printing out some diagrams and manuals for the Wabco ABS, and I was the designated tool fetcher.

Vern checked out the ABS actuator valve and determined that should be replaced, so one was ordered through the Volvo dealer in Missoula, MT by way of Detroit. During the 2 days it took to get it we jacked up the rear and manually spun the tires to check if the wheel speed sensors were working properly. One wasn't, so it was purchased and replaced. After a test drive showed no improvement, Vern began checking continuity of the wiring harness between the brake control module and the ABS actuator valve and discovered a problem. A replacement harness was about $700, so we decided to splice a new wire between the connectors on each end of both sides of the actuator valve. Yesterday we took the Sonshine Express out for a test drive, and there was no beeping alarm, nor a "SM" message on the instrument display. The truck shifted perfectly and there is no longer a constantly illuminated "ABS" warning light! Yippee!!! Vern is without a doubt "The Contraptionator"

Please share "Verns" business contact information so the rest of the world can aquire his special mechanical abilities...

The Few

Please share "Verns" business contact information so the rest of the world can aquire his special mechanical abilities...

Vern is a commercial member of The Escapees, and his "handle" on the forum is: Wrknrvr. You can contact him through the forum.

Cindy & Jeff Brett
2014 Mobile Suite Memphis 44'
2004 Volvo 630 (The Sonshine Express), ET Hitch, Jackalopee & Szmyt Wonderbed
2016 Smart (Blanche)

Jeff has had this problem for a few years has mentioned it occasionally.

With modern vehicles that are not original the dealers are not happy to work on such things in IMO. So with making contact with Wabco[they built the brake component's and brake ECU on his truck] they stated a case file on it and help me diaghose the system.

With the onboard diagnostics and wabco we were able to trace it he problem systematically one problem at a time.

1 The passenger side rear solenoid was not operational on the old modulator valve and with talking with Jeff the people who singled the truck replaced the valve with an unknown valve but it fit. Wabco said to install the proper assembly so we did.

2 While waiting for the new valve we tested the wheel sensors and had to replace one.

3 Just by chance I thought to check the location of the wheel sensors and when they were installed in the bottom holes on the axle to make the ECU think there was another axle as original, they had hooked them up backwards.

4 The wiring harness had no continuity from the ECU to the passenger side solenoid. But the common wire and both in and out wire locations on the valve end were all connected. What the blannnk is going on. So cut both ends of the wiring harness for the passenger side valve, test the ends to see if the connectors were good. Then make a new wire assembly and in stall it. Now that valve works but the other side will not.

5 The other side test good for continuity on the wiring harness but will not operate the valve. Hook the passenger side wiring harness to the drivers side vale and it works. When first working on this thing the drivers side did work. So since we had all the tools out to make a new wiring assembly for the first bad valve wiring I made a new one for the drivers side.

Apparently when the truck was singled the wiring harness was damaged, so we will replace it this winter in Arizona.

What APITA, but they are leaving for Alaska today and we are free to do our thing in Montana for the summer.

Safe Travels for all, vern

Archived