Steering Gearbox Leak

TwoBearBill

Up until now, my truck has never leaked onto the pavement. But I noticed oil seeping out of the side of the steering gearbox. Looks like it's coming from under a round cover about 4" in diameter held on by a big "e-clip". Something I can do myself? My initial search of the forums found advice to replace and not attempt to repair.

Bill Greenwade

Full Timer from Mena, Arkansas

2012 KZ 40ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

1998 Volvo VNL 610

If its the original box it is likely getting sloppy and time to change out anyway. It goes over time and steering gets gradually loose until its bad enough to notice the wander thing...ha On a Volvo, The arm that has to be pulled off as Ron mentioned is mounted against the frame rail and makes using a standard puller not possible. I ended up having a shop replace mine as well. I was happy and they were not! ha Took them 2 hrs to get that arm off. They don't do a lot of Volvo stuff and said most trucks have that arm mounted opposite faceing out in the open.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I paid flat $300 for the change out. Gearbox was $500 exchange. They paid shipping both ways. Ken worth did not list a rebuilt for my truck and new was $2500

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I had the seals replaced in mine at the dealer about two years ago because it was leaking. It stopped the leaks pretty well until a few months ago. It started leaking badly again recently so I decided to replace the steering box completely at my annual service this month. It is in the shop right now being done.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived