Eaton 10spd Hi-Lo quit

TwoBearBill

Drove to town this morning fine, but when I started the truck to head back, the trans would not shift from hi to low range and air pressure would not come up. Couldn't hear an obvious air leak. Limped back to the campground in hi range. Where to look 1st would be appreciated.

Bill Greenwade

Full Timer from Mena, Arkansas

2012 KZ 40ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

1998 Volvo VNL 610

You must have built enough air to release the brakes (~60psi). The shift problem is more than likely a result of a leak somewhere else and not directly in the hi/lo circuit.

Do you have front and rear gauges for air? Is either building air >60ish?

Leak could be anywhere.

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

Yes, manual transmission that auto-shifts from 9 to 10 and back. I think the model is RTLO-10? Yes, I have front and rear air gauges, and yes, they build to about 60psi - a little more in the rear than front. Can't hear a click at all when I move the high/low selector on the shift knob.

Bill Greenwade

1998 Volvo VNL 610

There is a pressure regulator and filter on the back side of transmission. Filter looks sort of like an Apollo space capsule. I'd start there make sure your getting pressure. I'll look for a picture and post it if I find it.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Here is one on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULLER-A-4740-Air-Valve-Regulator-Filter-Assembly-584863C91-EF36730-NEW-/251319462123?hash=item3a83cea8eb

Go to the Eaton Fuller web site I think there is a trouble shooting page which will tell you how much air pressure you should be getting down stream of this.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

Air system is designed to supply only brakes at low pressures. Most systems cut off "accessory" air circuits at below 70ish psi So you probably have other air operated stuff that doesn't work either.

Low system pressures could be caused by just about anything in the system. Leaky brake chambers, air dryers, valves, hoses, air bags, governor, air tank drains. If your truck originally had an air release fifth wheel slide that the hose wasn't capped, did the switch accidentally get flipped? Some air valves will have exhaust hoses that vent into places you can't get to or hear (especially in the dash), this is done for operator comfort.

All you can do is try to listen for the leak (sometimes this is way hard to do especially if you can't get a lot of pressure built up), or start spraying stuff with soapy water and look for bubbles. Start with the obvious or easy to access stuff and go from there?

On my 98 610, with the 10 speed Rockwell, You hear a definite shift between high and low. You should be building more than 60 psi also, should be up in the 120psi range. I would check the air governor , most likely to fail in the manner you described, fine on the way to town, shut off, restart and no pressure.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I missed that you are only building 60 yo 70 psi. I'm surprised you made enough air to release your spring brakes.

I'd try replacing the D2 governor on the compressor. Thus could be remote mounted. I think there was on old thread on its replacement you might try the search function.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

I do appreciate all the replies. I'd like to learn about this truck by fixing as many things as I can.

Rear psi builds to 75psi and holds (doesn't leak down). Front builds only to a little over 60 and leaks down to zero. When I shut down the engine, there is a "buzzing" sound near the trans, but I can't tell yet where it's coming from. Not a hissing like air, but more like a solenoid kinda sound. Trying to figure out how to get the truck up on some blocks so I can get more room to get under it.

Bill Greenwade

1998 Volvo VNL 610

Since I can't hear any obvious air leaks, and the system only builds up to 75psi max, I'm leaning toward looking at the governor as suggested.

Now - where is the governor? Is it normally attached to the compressor, or remote?

Bill Greenwade

1998 Volvo VNL 610

It can be on the compressor. Or mounted on the fire wall. Someone on here actually found theirs in the battery box if I remember correctly.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

Two Bears may I suggest you go ahead and change the filter assembly on your transmission. It's one of the most ignored maintainance item on the truck.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

That was it! The $43 governor solved the problem. Air comes up to 120psi and the transmission shifts again. Many thanks for the help!

glad you got it fixed. always good to carry a spare D2 governor in your spare parts.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Any other suggestions for spare parts to carry would be welcome. I have spare belts, wiper blade, dash bulbs, headlight bulbs, fuses, plus misc fasteners, zip ties, baling wire, and duct tape.

Bill Greenwade

1998 Volvo VNL 610

Bill,

Not to beat you up over this but NAPA, O'Reilly's and other places will carry the D2 for about half of that $48 price if you want a spare.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived