B&W problem

rmalikone

I have a B&W Companion hitch in my F350 PSD DW Long Bed, problem is that I have to get into the bed to attach emergency break away and to lock jaws. I'm really not short at 5'8" but at 60 don't want to keep doing this. Ideas?

TIA

2008 F350 Lariat 4X4, PSD, DW, Crew Cab, 4:30, Long Bed, Tow Boss

B&W Turnover Ball Campanion Hitch 18K

Transfer Flow In Bed Auxiliary Fuel Tank 50 Gallon

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

Jessica and Harry

Fulltimers as of 12/12/12

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD

2011 Heartland Landmark Rushmore

www.rikerrvdays.blogspot.com

I also considered this but realized that if you wanted/needed to reposition your truck before finished with it you would have to remove it and replace it after truck was moved. My little $15 stool just sits there by the truck until someone steps on it.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

I have a 2 step ladder I use already, thought maybe someone had something better.

2008 F350 Lariat 4X4, PSD, DW, Crew Cab, 4:30, Long Bed, Tow Boss

B&W Turnover Ball Campanion Hitch 18K

Transfer Flow In Bed Auxiliary Fuel Tank 50 Gallon

2012 Cedar Creek 36RE

My suggestion is to have a cable with hooks on both ends. You can just leave the cable hooked up to truck, just tuck it away to the side or something. When you hook up camper the breakaway switch is easy to get to. Hook it up there.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My suggestion is to have a cable with hooks on both ends. You can just leave the cable hooked up to truck, just tuck it away to the side or something. When you hook up camper the breakaway switch is easy to get to. Hook it up there.

The breakaway switch is not the only item of interest the OP mentioned.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

We have wheel to wheel step rail for just this reason :P My brother saw our wheel to wheel from the factory and has been searching for an after market wheel to wheel, everyone tells him it doesn't exist. I know they do from factory, but unsure in after market.

Home is where you park your heart, or your tires for the night.

We used a step on the tire like previous posters had mentioned but you can extend the handle on the hitch to make it easier to reach. Then just change the location that you hook up the breakaway switch to an easier to reach location. We used a stake pocket on the bed side.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

If I remember correctly that B&M has a pin you have to pull out and reinsert also. Still got to get in bed. A Brinkley head would be easier. It has a spring loaded pin. A small chain or cable could be attached to it and a piece of pipe slipped over handle would do. Would have to change head though.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This is why I considered switching my truck to a flatbed. I still think that a flatbed is more useful and has fewer problems than the stock truck box.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

We love ours. So much simpler. I can even see to back up. do get a trough for hitch though. They do make low height hitches also. A flat bed will always be higher than a factory box bed. Just keep this in mind and figure on a different hitch or a bed with a trough for yours.

Archived