Towing a HDT

RickS

I just thought this may interest some of the HDT people here. It is a very recent series of video's of a 2014 Kenworth with automatic transmission troubles. The series starts at 3150 and goes to 3155. Hope this doesn't happen to often to any of us. I wonder what the bill would be on a job like this?

Starts here.

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

Except that mine is red, that looks like me in Hutch last year. CoachNet picked up the bill picked up the entire bill to tow me from Hutch to the Volvo dealer in Wichita...62 miles.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I actually feel dumber after watching all of the videos. The 1st, I was interested, the 2nd I was a little upset with both the company driver and the tow operator. The company man for not having his truck cleaned out (garbage) and his bag packed, and the tow driver for dragging/pulling air lines over painted/polished surfaces. By the end, I had the same attitude as the tow driver. Talk to the shop foreman, I'm tired of you.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The only time we were on the hook in an RV, I had tried to pull the drive-shaft before the tow driver showed. Alberta road salt seized, so the shafts came out of the housing, and were replaced with cardboard covers for the housing ends. We had 2 adults, and 2 kids. A taxi arrived while the tow truck was connecting, and everyone had a "go bag" packed, and were responsible for it until we got to the hotel. I rode in with the truck camper, in the tow truck. Once a service provider was found, I called all the hotels in the area. We had rooms for a week, in the peak of holiday season, but only used 3 nights. It might just be the way I was raised, but I don't sit on my hands waiting for someone to rescue me. And, I didn't follow the tow truck driver around with a camera, asking how much his boom weighed.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Phil,did you see amount of the bill? I have had CoachNet for many years as well. Great plan and covers my family of four.

No, I didn't but the driver and I had a long conversation about it. They get paid form home city to home city (according to him) so my 62 mile tow would actually be more like 120 miles. Adding up the "call" plus mileage he and I figured in the range of $900. Coachnet will only take you to the "closest" appropriate repair facility. Thank goodness the only place to work on a freedomline tranny is the dealership. I'll remember that for next time..."oh it's blowing smoke...must be the transmission". :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Last year when the XY shifter went out on our 18-speed Eaton Fuller in our Kenworth it was the first and only time we had it towed in the almost eight years we owned this quarter million dollar custom truck. Since we only had to be towed less than two miles from the exit off I-80 in Gary, IN to the Kenworth shop we thought we would be fine.

The tow driver appeared to be knowledgable in what he was doing, until he shut the [$8500.00 minus paint] hood on the air and elctrical lines he had run from the tow truck to ours and cracked the hood on the drivers side. We were sick! The bill that less than two mile tow was $550.00.

Lead Campground Host at Ross Prairie Trailhead and Campground on the Cross Florida Greenway

Retired business owner

Author

2013 Redwood 36FB Fiver

2001 Volvo Vnl 420 HDT Toter

!958 Harley Davidson Sportster XLH [survivor bike]

Proud dad of Abby the Boston Terrier

100_3094_zpsxdkzvegd.jpg

We were towed once back in 2011 about 20 miles. Our road hazard for our insurance covered it. I did ask the driver how much insurance would be billed he said it would be about $900. While waiting for the tow truck to arrive the wife did call around and estimates for the tow averaged $1000~$1200.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Archived