A couple of questions for owners of Toy Haulers

TxCowboy

DW and I have been talking about getting a toy hauler in a couple of years to replace our current 5er. We have a couple of questions for those that currently own one.

1. The kitchen counter top space looks very limited, even for some of the 44 foot models. The sink covers can function, to some degree, as counter top space but where do you put those sink covers when you're actually using the sink. For indoor use, we use our kitchen sinks much, much more than the bathroom sink for most things. Having to move the sink covers every time we use the kitchen sinks would be a pain.

2. Most online RV websites show the toy haulers as having long sofas consisting of four or five seats across one side of the RV. Two or three of these chairs are recliners. From you experience, how does that work out for watching the TV (which is normally mounted above head level on one end of the room)? How conducive is this arrange for having conversations with friends since they'd all have to be sitting on this one long sofa?

3. How is the garage area working out as a patio/recreation area? We're not planning on using the garage area for much more than a place to keep our two small dogs, a couple of bicycles, and some light storage. When stopped, having the area converted into an outdoor patio would be perfect and we believe most toy haulers come equipped with railings and covers to turn the rear ramp into a good patio. Is the interior of the garage area waterproofed so that you can clean it out with a water hose?

4. We're seeing some models that feature two patio areas, one of the rear then a second off the door-side with an outdoor entertainment area and a small refrigerator that swivels so that it is accessible from either this second patio or from inside the kitchen. If there is anyone here that owns one like that, how is that configuration working out for you? Are you encountering any situations where the RV park slots are too narrow to accommodate that second, door-side patio?

5. What do you do with the bunk area that is normally between the kitchen and the garage area? We normally don't have sleep-over guests and don't want to let that area go to waste.

6. Where do the tables that mount in front of the recliners store when not is use? Also, are these the same tables that are used in the garage area or does the garage area have their own set of tables?

What other observations / experiences have you had that might be of interest to someone interested in purchasing a toy hauler?

Thanks!

Jeff & Laurie

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

We have a weekend warrior 37 ft

It's a full open toy box.so I can only answer a couple of your questions. As far as the sink covers we store them under the sink all the time never really use them. We have a couch on one side recliners on the other TV up front.

watching it is no real big deal but the recliners are the most desired seat.

When traveling the recliners are stored on the master bed somewhat of a pain to be honest.

The small table is stored in closet. And the larger table stored on the bottom of the fold up coach.

1. The kitchen counter top space looks very limited, even for some of the 44 foot models. The sink covers can function, to some degree, as counter top space but where do you put those sink covers when you're actually using the sink. For indoor use, we use our kitchen sinks much, much more than the bathroom sink for most things. Having to move the sink covers every time we use the kitchen sinks would be a pain.

The toyhaulers are really meant for weekend or short term use taking you sand buggy to the dunes and such not really meant for long term. So storage space etc. is limited and a lot less the a normal 5er. So you will generally find counter space as well as counter space small.

2. Most online RV websites show the toy haulers as having long sofas consisting of four or five seats across one side of the RV. Two or three of these chairs are recliners. From you experience, how does that work out for watching the TV (which is normally mounted above head level on one end of the room)? How conducive is this arrange for having conversations with friends since they'd all have to be sitting on this one long sofa?

Again the design is assuming you will be outside with the dune buggy etc. not inside watching TV. Yes the design is comburesome.

3. How is the garage area working out as a patio/recreation area? We're not planning on using the garage area for much more than a place to keep our two small dogs, a couple of bicycles, and some light storage. When stopped, having the area converted into an outdoor patio would be perfect and we believe most toy haulers come equipped with railings and covers to turn the rear ramp into a good patio. Is the interior of the garage area waterproofed so that you can clean it out with a water hose?

The patio works great and I haul the Smart car in the garage. After unloading The lower bunk bed can be made into a dining area and is how we use it. I don't know about all but mine can be washed out if you need to.

4. We're seeing some models that feature two patio areas, one of the rear then a second off the door-side with an outdoor entertainment area and a small refrigerator that swivels so that it is accessible from either this second patio or from inside the kitchen. If there is anyone here that owns one like that, how is that configuration working out for you? Are you encountering any situations where the RV park slots are too narrow to accommodate that second, door-side patio?

I don't have one or any experiance with the side patio option.

5. What do you do with the bunk area that is normally between the kitchen and the garage area? We normally don't have sleep-over guests and don't want to let that area go to waste.

​We use that area for additional storage.

6. Where do the tables that mount in front of the recliners store when not is use? Also, are these the same tables that are used in the garage area or does the garage area have their own set of tables?

I lay mine on the bunk bed and strap them down with light weight ratchet straps and raise the bunk to put the Smart car in the garage.

I haope that helps some anyway.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Thanks to all for the insightful responses.

Bob, your comment about the toy hauler being for short-term and weekend use was a "wow, that makes a lot of sense" moment for me. I never thought the intended use was for short term occupancy but it does explain many of the design and usage comments I made in the OP.

This means more good conversation topics for the wife and me. Maybe something with a smaller garage area and more interior living space. I always viewed the garage area of a toy hauler as a great space because of the multiple options this space could provide: bike storage, an indoor/outdoor entertainment space, sleeping area, a place for the hounds when the weather was bad, my "man cave", and such. Twelve or even ten feet garage areas are larger than what we need. I wonder if anyone makes an eight foot garage?

Thanks again for the comments and insight. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

I have a 40' TH and getting it ready to FT in it. I think Bob pretty much covered most of your questions. I do like the garage area and as you said I tend to use it as my "man cave". We spent 2 months at Lake Havasu and in the morning myself and a few other guys that were camping by me would set out there and have coffee and talk about how to solve all the worlds problems. LOL

As for the seating in the living room, mine came with a couch so first thing I did was remove it and put two recliners in its space.

The way I look at it, its all a compromise RVing. I was willing to give up living room area to have the garage and I like to drop down the ramp a spend a lot of time out on it. Plus, I too am planning on using it to transport a smart car. If your not planning on using it for vehicles, then you could modify the space and add storage or what ever would be useful for you. Decisions, decisions.....................................

Dennis

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Thanks to all for the insightful responses.

Bob, your comment about the toy hauler being for short-term and weekend use was a "wow, that makes a lot of sense" moment for me. I never thought the intended use was for short term occupancy but it does explain many of the design and usage comments I made in the OP.

This means more good conversation topics for the wife and me. Maybe something with a smaller garage area and more interior living space. I always viewed the garage area of a toy hauler as a great space because of the multiple options this space could provide: bike storage, an indoor/outdoor entertainment space, sleeping area, a place for the hounds when the weather was bad, my "man cave", and such. Twelve or even ten feet garage areas are larger than what we need. I wonder if anyone makes an eight foot garage?

Thanks again for the comments and insight. :)

Most pre made Toyhaulers are for occasional use only. I got 4 years out of a near new Weekend Warrior before investing in my Spacecraft. Having one built allows you to have as much or little counter top space as you desire and can afford. You can also have what ever size garage that would fit you. I have seen many people use their ramp as a "Patio" but there is an extra charge for that and you do not have another door that can be closed to provide overnight security or severe weather protection while you are away. My garage is used to transport my car and then is a storage area once on a site for an extended time. I previously put the car in a box on the truck and carried the motorcycle in the trailer Have switched that around now.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Howdy!

We researched a lot of Toy Haulers (TH) for our fulltime needs to replace our previous 5er. One of the things we wanted was the kitchen and livingroom area with TV to be seperate and wife wanted and needed a pantry which most don't have. We liked the floor plan of the Heartland Cyclone 4000 Elite which we now have been fulltiming in for a year. The loft bed in the kitchen area we use for storage which is great as we lost a lot storage area compaired to our previous 5er. We carry a Smart Car in the TH so when unloaded we have full use of it as our dining area and other needs. We use the ramp as a patio area when ever we can that the site is large enough, and our dogs love that.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I have a 40' TH and getting it ready to FT in it. I think Bob pretty much covered most of your questions. I do like the garage area and as you said I tend to use it as my "man cave". We spent 2 months at Lake Havasu and in the morning myself and a few other guys that were camping by me would set out there and have coffee and talk about how to solve all the worlds problems. LOL

Dennis, this answers a question my wife and I discussed this morning. DW and I both MUST have coffee in the morning. Life just isn't worth living otherwise. We determined that we could set a small table/cabinet in the garage area and use that space for our coffee maker.

Things are started to sort themselves out. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Howdy!

We researched a lot of Toy Haulers (TH) for our fulltime needs to replace our previous 5er. One of the things we wanted was the kitchen and livingroom area with TV to be seperate and wife wanted and needed a pantry which most don't have. We liked the floor plan of the Heartland Cyclone 4000 Elite which we now have been fulltiming in for a year. The loft bed in the kitchen area we use for storage which is great as we lost a lot storage area compaired to our previous 5er. We carry a Smart Car in the TH so when unloaded we have full use of it as our dining area and other needs. We use the ramp as a patio area when ever we can that the site is large enough, and our dogs love that.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

Chief, we totally missed the 4000 Elite. We currently own a Heartland Greystone and love the Heartland products. The floor plan for the 4000 Elite looks perfect!

How much space do you have around the king size bed? The space around our current queen size bed makes making the bed difficult.

Also, how many of the leather chairs in the living room area are recliners?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

A "just in time" topic for us. We think we would like a toy hauler to full time in. The 4000 looks good. However, it is difficult to find information concerning how well this unit or others are constructed. Any and all information would be appreciated. Thanks

I am currently full timing in a Heartland Cyclone 4014. It has a 14 foot garage that I carry my Harley in. When parked and the Harley is removed you can set up a table in the garage using the bottom drop down bunk for seating. This is a separate table from the two tables that can be set up in the kitchen in front of the couch. I store the tables in the loft area when not in use. You won't find a garage shorter than 10 feet because of the length of most vehicles that you would put in there. I have a center island that gives me extra counter space with two stools for sitting at the island. I put the sink covers under the sink when not in use. I would caution you on driving a smart car up the ramp. I have heard that the ramps are not designed for that much weight and will crack in time.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When we are out in the Raptor, we generally unload what we have in the back (dragbike and tow vehicle, tool boxes), except spare tires. We can use the area for what ever. It is a/c'd so on a rare occasion we have friends sleep there. As said before, it was designed for short term use, so counter space is at a premium, but is good for a weekend. We normally cook outside anyway so the stove is rarely used.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

Chief, we totally missed the 4000 Elite. We currently own a Heartland Greystone and love the Heartland products. The floor plan for the 4000 Elite looks perfect!

How much space do you have around the king size bed? The space around our current queen size bed makes making the bed difficult.

Also, how many of the leather chairs in the living room area are recliners?

Howdy!

We have enough room on the sides of the bed to walk but do have to pull the mattress out some to put the fitted sheet on.

Our Cyclone 4000 has three recliners, two in the L shaped couch and one in the love seat area.

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Just for the sake of conversation, who makes a good Class A toy hauler?

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

we dont full time. but we spend 3-4 mos out at a time...for is, aside from the fact we wanted to have a motorcycle, truck and camper, we needed two separate sleeping areas, so our compromise is is less living space..if price was not an issue we woukd have bought an Excel Wild cargo

I keep thinking with my TH that wish I had this when younger would have been and awsome weekend party vehicle!!!! Now it is a couple of beers and done, least not one and done yet!!!!!

Jeff & Laurie good luck you will find waht works for you guys and have fun in the search. :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

i have a Heartland Cyclone so may be a bit biased but any of the Heartland models are good. When I was shopping I also liked the Voyager by Dutchman.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 4 weeks later...

We have the Raptor 412TS, which has the cross conversational seating like the Cyclone 4000. We don't have any toys, so we use the garage for storage when moving and a den when parked. It came with a carpet fitted for the garage. We can set the ramp up as a deck and if it is too buggy, we can pull down the screen and sit in the "den" and still have that outside feeling.

There isn't a whole lot of counter space, but enough for us. We are planning on using it FT in about 2 years when we retire. The "kitchen" bunk is used for storage.

As for the patio, I can't speak for that, but it looks like even more reduced counter space to accomodate the sliding door to the side patio.

2010 Ford F250

2014 Keystone Raptor 412TS

Archived