Interstate 10 and 45 Height Restrictions

brunsje

Thee are a few interstate overpasses in Houston that are listed as 13"6. We had a load hit a bridge marked as 14' two years ago with a load the driver swore was only 13'8". Turns out when the contractor repaved the road, he forgot to change the sign :) OOPS.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

This sounds like a great ESCAPEES PROJECT. To spot check some the signs across the country. I would guess that many could be wrong because of repaving projects.

It would also make a great article in the club magazine about how often State Road Departments check the measurements and change the signs. Or even AAA data on the number and types of accidents across the country.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

The IH10 and IH45 interchange has recently been rebuilt. The overpass heading south on IH45 is marked 16'6". The westbound IH10 is not marked yet but is appears to be well in excess of 13'6".

post-51226-0-00645400-1426768417_thumb.jpg

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The IH10 and IH45 interchange has recently been rebuilt. The overpass heading south on IH45 is marked 16'6". The westbound IH10 is not marked yet but is appears to be well in excess of 13'6".

been through there a few times and no problems

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure I've been through there at 14' even sometime in the last 20 years, and didn't hit anything, but of course that doesn't account for paving mishaps. Frankly, Texas is so reliably open that I've probably been a little sloppy about watching.. On reflection, as paranoid as I am, not a chance..

I was just outside Houston today in the AM fueling at a Love's.

Asked 2 Truck Drivers and they both said there is a 13'6" limit on I10 under the 45 exchange.

Also said that 610 North bypass is 'usually' quicker.

I drove the 610 Bypass and it was always moving at 50mph.

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Thee are a few interstate overpasses in Houston that are listed as 13"6. We had a load hit a bridge marked as 14' two years ago with a load the driver swore was only 13'8". Turns out when the contractor repaved the road, he forgot to change the sign :) OOPS.

I have a dumb question, who pays for the damage for both the bridge and the vehicle when this happens?

John & Joyce

N6BER

I no longer drive through the Houston area. First, it is a nightmare at times. Second, the roads tend to be terrible. And third - and most important to me - it is one of the few places in the country that I KNOW that there are DOT officers, specifically targeting and stopping RV's, and checking specifically for overlength. And I do not mean Big5er. So I simply bypass.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You are not going to hurt a bridge with the toys we pull. Good luck collecting

from a contractor working for the DOT, almost hopeless, I am sure they did exactly what they were told to do.

TXDOT-damaged-bridge-300x224.jpg

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Usually the trucker (insurance) pays. UNLESS he can prove he was legal and not oversize as above. I have an interesting railroad bridge locally where a state highway dips down under the bridge. 13'9" clearance--usually fine. UNLESS you are using a 53' flatbed with a HI-Hoe on it where the high point of the boom just happens to be 13'8" tall at the exact center between the front and rear tandems. In which case the arc of the road under the bridge will momentarily raise the boom height to about 14'--- and "BANG".

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

You are not going to hurt a bridge with the toys we pull. Good luck collecting

from a contractor working for the DOT, almost hopeless, I am sure they did exactly what they were told to do.

TXDOT-damaged-bridge-300x224.jpg

I would think the responsible party order flows down hill, i.e., DOT, or whatever agency that maintains the road in question, would be the responsible to pay then they take action against the contractor who did the work for them, etc...?

I would also suspect our insurance would cover up front, especially if the signage is wrong, and they would go after the "responsible party".

But then what one hopes or suspects may not work out in real life :(

Too bad someone hasn't built a special laser range finder that could measure distance and height to a bridge. :rolleyes:

John & Joyce

N6BER

Too bad someone hasn't built a special laser range finder that could measure distance and height to a bridge. :rolleyes:

Laser?? Who needs laser??

a.aaa-Low-Bridge-Warning-Sign.jpg

2014 smart Fortwo

I would also suspect our insurance would cover up front, especially if the signage is wrong, and they would go after the "responsible party".

If the load is taller than the overpass (as it is marked) or more than 14ft, the shipping company is ALWAYS at fault. Says so right there on their permit. Just like Jeff said, due to the curve of the road it caused his load height to increase, but the bridge was 13'9 over the roadway that was under it. Shorter trailer might have made it, who's fault is it? The bridge is marked correctly so lets blame the.....TRUCK DRIVER!! :). On rare occasion you may find a contractor who messed up, but in all the ones I have seen, that has been real rare.

2014 smart Fortwo

If not on a Sunday drive, put on a situational awareness display helmet to stay informed

about what you are getting into. You can know what is ahead.

jsf_helmet_f35-gen-iii.jpg

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Archived