Best & Worst Experiences Volunteering?

Just spent some time looking through the website Volunteer.gov

Many of the volunteer postings state the expectation of working 32 hours per week. Is that per person or per couple in exchange for the campsite?

There is cetainly a variance in what is expected of volunteers!

There are some national parks and even a few wildlife refuges that ask 32 hours a week, per person, but in our 12 different volunteer "jobs" we've never been asked to work more more than 24 hours per person, per week. We've had a couple at 20 hours per person per week, and a couple more at 24 hours per couple, per week. So there is no "standard" as far as hour requirements go.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Just spent some time looking through the website Volunteer.gov

Many of the volunteer postings state the expectation of working 32 hours per week. Is that per person or per couple in exchange for the campsite?

Federal agencies have been on a trend of increasing the minimum number of hours from volunteers and in most cases the ad means each person unless it states otherwise. Even so, if you see one that interests you, contact them and ask because there are a few that mean total and the only way to be sure is to ask. With budgets tight, as long as the agencies get the volunteers that they seek they will probably continue to increase the hours that they ask for. Generally, states, counties, and other agencies will ask for fewer hours per person. We have also found that the Army Corps of Engineers usually ask for less than other federal agencies.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think that some volunteer coordinators are fairly inexperienced with dealing with volunteers and will ask for unrealistic hours. If they are prime spots and they are getting plenty of volunteers they will get what they are asking for. In some cases you may be able to negoitiate for less. I have somethings I can not do and I put that out there. I also try to make up for it by doing a little more in other parts of the job. It often evens out if you negotiate in a friendly manner.

My only time with the Corps of Eng. was good and the hours were good as posted but I othen ran into the situation that they were supposed to come pick up the money I collected on a certain date but then would reshedule on short notice which would alter my plans for my off time. It was not constant but enough to be slightly aggravating. I wasn't working but my time was tied up. I don't know how common this is and I would volunteer for the Corps again but I might ask more questions to make sure there was a clear understanding. A lot more of the Corps positions these days seem to be looking for more maint. type work which might be appealing if that is your interest.

My only time with the Corps of Eng. was good and the hours were good as posted but I othen ran into the situation that they were supposed to come pick up the money I collected on a certain date but then would reshedule on short notice which would alter my plans for my off time. It was not constant but enough to be slightly aggravating. I wasn't working but my time was tied up.

Were you a volunteer, or a paid gate attendant? It sounds like the latter as when we volunteered with them we didn't handle any money but did various jobs in return for our site.

Were you a volunteer, or a paid gate attendant? It sounds like the latter as when we volunteered with them we didn't handle any money but did various jobs in return for our site.

There is always the exception.

We have been offered two different COE volunteer positions that also required working the gate. It required handling money even though it was a "volunteer for site position." It should be noted that these were relatively small COE parks. One only had 10 sites.

We are very happy with the COE position we have, so we declined.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

We are very happy with the COE position we have, so we declined.

We have found the COE to be one of the easier organizations to volunteer for also. In one case we did find it a little bit boring as there was too little to do, but they were just starting to use volunteers and hadn't yet figured out what to have us do. Even they were good folks, but the vast majority of volunteer using agencies are.

In answer to Kirk, my position was a volunteer slot at a paid boat ramp. There were some other incidental duties but mostly taking the launch fee about 4 hours on Fri. and 8 hours on Sat. Sun and the three main holidays. Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. The cash pick up day was normally set for Mon. before noon.

We have found the COE to be one of the easier organizations to volunteer for also. In one case we did find it a little bit boring as there was too little to do, but they were just starting to use volunteers and hadn't yet figured out what to have us do. Even they were good folks, but the vast majority of volunteer using agencies are.

I agree but you must be careful. One year we were a little "bored" and the DW likes to paint. So she offered to paint the post that shows the site number. (177 of them) The very next day, two gallons of paint and all the required equipment was delivered to our site!

The real kick was that the next year, when we returned and were asked to sign the job description agreement for the season, post painting was added as part of the job!

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

• 2 weeks later...

MY PERSONAL favorite was volunteering at Funny River State Recreation Area, operated by the Alaska State Parks. Funny River is a little bitty site. It has one "Vault Toilet" ( A Vault Toilet = modern Pit Toilet), which we had the privilege to clean (no really bid deal); one 15 amp electrical plug for the Park Host; an old fashioned hand-operated water pump; (The hosts drove 15 miles to Saldotna to dump and fill up with water once per week); and a walkway with steps leading to the Ken i River); where you and your guests caught 30--36" + Red Salmon. Had a great month. Ate Salmon, gave away salmon, froze salmon.

The park patrons mostly had been coming there for years, knew each other, were from all over the world and were, predominately wonderful people!

Had a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL time!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

We will be doing our first season of volunteering this summer in the Oregon State Park system. We will be in the upper north east part of the state.

We were not given a specific number of hours but rather a list of duties which don't seem hard. We hope to get a coastal position next summer. They don't usually (Oregon) have volunteers stay in a particular park for more than a month so we will be moving several times, but not more than 50 miles.

Carol Beckman (John)

Fulltime as of 6/1/15

2015 Bighorn, GMC 2500HD 4WD, 2013 Mini Cooper

Retired RN

Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs

• 5 months later...

The past 2 years my husband and I have been volunteers at Biscayne National Park. The rangers are all amazing and have and an awesome time. Since the park is 95% underwater, we have been certified to operate park boats and do interpretation on the keys.

It is not for everyone. First of all, you park your RV in the parking lot. Full hookups. No cell phone reception unless you walk to the shore and look at Miami from across the bay. The good part is that at 5:30 we lock the gates and only the volunteers and interns are allowed on the premises. 3 RV spaces and 2 housing rooms.

If you want a place away from the rush of the city (9 miles to Homestead) but can still see Miami at a distance, gorgeous views of the ocean, 3rd largest coral reef in the world and the first uninhabited keys of the Florida Keys with many opportunities this is for you.

Worst experience..... Assateague National Seashore. The sites were incredible (water and electricity only, had to drive to the dump station every couple of days). No hot water showers, pit toilets. No internet. I LOVED the wild horses, but not all campers were of the same mind. Expect people knocking on your door all hours of the night scared because horses broke into the tent for the food, even though they were TOLD many times not to have food on site. Rude visitors parking wherever they want and don't listen to you. Law enforcement does not have your back, you give someone a warning ticket and they throw it back in your face and LE never comes to back you up.

Just wanted to give a big "thank you" to all those who have shared their experiences (good or bad)!! It really helps us "newbies" to decide on a direction and what to expect when we get there...and I urge others to please share, I can guarantee you that it will help someone down the road,

We just concluded our very first volunteer gig at Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Managed by the USFS so its really a laid back operation. We worked at the visitor center meeting all sorts from all over and for the vast majority - great people. Provided with full hook-ups (50 amp), laundry room and one half of a duplex we could use that had two bedrooms, refer and more laundry facilities. You can read and see the photos at http://cndtravels.blogspot.com We've been invited to return next year and we shall - for 2 months. This is a beautiful place - just look at the photos. The ranger and crew were all fantastic and always let us know how much they appreciated what we did.

We're off for one month, then will be camp hosts at Oregon's Sunset Bay park just south of Charleston for the month of November - perhaps longer?

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

My wife and I enjoyed your pics and blog very much!! You are correct, it is a beautiful place and one that we have added to our must see list and it sounds like a great place to work.

It was and will be again, next year. Can't wait to see what the next gig will bring.

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Hello to all who have volunteered! My question is whether one must be an American citizen to be considered as a camp host. There are lots of us Canucks who'd enjoy spending time during the winters, while snowbirding, working as a host somewhere.

Same question was asked in post 15. I'll give the same answer that I gave in post 19.

Canadians and other non-citizens can volunteer for the NPS through the International Volunteers in Parks program and can likely volunteer with other federal agencies through similar programs. The problem is that most Canadians do not want to jump through the hoops to get the proper/required visa as explained in this webpage and without the proper visa they can not receive a free campsite or other benefits that many RV volunteers expect to receive. The rules established for non-citizens to work and what is considered as compensation for work are not just applicable to the parks or government agencies. They apply to all types of exchange of services for any type of compensation and I believe were originally established to prevent exploitation of individuals. That said, there seems to be very little regard for this countries immigration laws even among our own citizens. There are sanctuary cities and states that will not cooperate with federal enforcement authorities and even states that issue driver's licenses to undocumented or improperly documented individuals. I know of two state parks in two different states that accept Canadian camp hosts. In my discussions with the hosts, they said the park management coached them not to mention volunteering or workamping during their entry interview at the border, but to simply state that they were coming to the U.S. on vacation. The fact that an agency or organization is willing to accept a non-citizen without the proper visa or other documents as an RV volunteer that receives compensation does not change the fact that it is a violation of federal law.

I know several Canadians that volunteer for Habitat for Humanity at the same locations we do, but you do not receive a free RV site. In fact, you pay for the utilities or find your own place to stay.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Hello to all who have volunteered! My question is whether one must be an American citizen to be considered as a camp host. There are lots of us Canucks who'd enjoy spending time during the winters, while snowbirding, working as a host somewhere.

I was talking to a BCer who has been hosting at an Oregon State Park for the last 12 years. He recieves a full hook up site in exchange for volunteering.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

Same question was asked in post 15. I'll give the same answer that I gave in post 19.

Canadians and other non-citizens can volunteer for the NPS through the International Volunteers in Parks program and can likely volunteer with other federal agencies through similar programs. The problem is that most Canadians do not want to jump through the hoops to get the proper/required visa as explained in this webpage and without the proper visa they can not receive a free campsite or other benefits that many RV volunteers expect to receive. The rules established for non-citizens to work and what is considered as compensation for work are not just applicable to the parks or government agencies. They apply to all types of exchange of services for any type of compensation and I believe were originally established to prevent exploitation of individuals. That said, there seems to be very little regard for this countries immigration laws even among our own citizens. There are sanctuary cities and states that will not cooperate with federal enforcement authorities and even states that issue driver's licenses to undocumented or improperly documented individuals. I know of two state parks in two different states that accept Canadian camp hosts. In my discussions with the hosts, they said the park management coached them not to mention volunteering or workamping during their entry interview at the border, but to simply state that they were coming to the U.S. on vacation. The fact that an agency or organization is willing to accept a non-citizen without the proper visa or other documents as an RV volunteer that receives compensation does not change the fact that it is a violation of federal law.

This is essentially the same answer that I received from a regional volunteer coordinator for the USFWS. I also have known of at least two parks which did accept Canadian volunteers without these requirements, but there is still that remote chance of somehow being caught. The problem is not the activity of the volunteers but that of receiving a benefit from the volunteer activity like a campsite and utilities. Many locations just do not accept non-citizens because they don't want to fool with the regulations.

As a side note, 12 years ago we were very close to a tour as resident volunteers for Algonquin Provincial Park, when we ran into pretty much the same problem. In order to stay in the park we needed to have a visa, which we didn't have. As a result we went elsewhere.

So the short answer is. Find a spot your interested in, contact them and ask.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

So the short answer is. Find a spot your interested in, contact them and ask.

I respectfully disagree, unless you are willing to take the risk of being barred from future entry into the U.S. Of course with 11 million others violating our immigration laws its your choice whether to take the risk. I would say that the short answer is get the proper Visa or work authorization. Here is a link to the blog of a Canadian that did it the legal way and volunteered for the National Park Service. If you contact him, he may be willing to share his experience with you.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• 2 months later...

We are currently volunteering at an Arizona State Park. It is not a big park but has a fascinating history. It is our first time doing this and I have to say I never knew what went into managing and maintaining a park. DW works at the Visitor Center and I am a grunt in maintenance. We have five couples, work 22.5 hours per week with alternating AM/PM schedules. Hard dirty work from my end, fast paced for DW and we really enjoy it.

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

Archived