Bleach %?

butch&fonda

Sanitization has nothing to do with scale build up. Scale is formed from Calcium & Magnesium ions in water reacting with carbon dioxide dissolved in water. Bleach does not remove scale unless you are scrubbing very hard. Vinegar flush works to lower pH so Ca and Mg ions stay in solution and don't form scale.

I hate to tell you people, but animals (and not a few humans) piddle in fresh water reservoirs all of the time. That's why the water is treated and it leaves the water treatment plant with a residual chlorine level that is checked at the end of the line to make sure that any problems are taken care of along the way.

Washing the spigot with water from the tap will remove all surface matter and if it is a public water supply will have a chlorine content that ensures it is safe to drink. That's why you run the water first - to make sure you've moved water through the spigot and are ready to go.

I'm always amazed at how people will get riled up over something like this and then turn around and talk about all of the great tasting fresh fruit they've eaten out in the field or at a farmer's market right in the stalls.

Barb

Barb, this might make some people gasp, but in certain parts of the U.S.A. the local municipal wastewater treatment plant has a large tanker truck with injection plows on the rear, this design is to inject sewage sludge into farm fields for fertilizer to make plants grow faster.

In our area we hauled cow poop to scatter on crop fields.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

When I first went to work at the Health Department we were told to flame a hydrant with a torch before sampling to disinfect it and let the water flow at least 10-15 seconds. They changed the requirement after some problems with plastic hydrants etc. Then we sprayed the hydrant with a 50 ppm mix of Chlorine to sanitize and flow the hydrant before sampling.

If you use flame and start a fire, it aint my fault!!! ;)

Southwind 35P

ARS KB0OU

EX Submarine driver

I wonder when the day will come that the populace is willing to consider properly recycled water for their entire supply or will they put up the money for a dual water distribution system -- one for cooking, etc and one for sanitation and external use like lawn watering. Some countries do that now. I remember my farming relatives that had a well for one use and a cistern for other uses.

Chuck & Lola
WV
Retired USCG

2013 Ford F450/2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

Gilbert, AZ has a dual water system but not to homes yet as enough commercial customers want the recycled water to use what we don't recharge into the aquifer.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Water obtained from rivers near cities is usually taken out upstream from the city and what goes into sewers is mostly cleaned, treated to a certain standard (usually cleaner than when it was taken out) and put back in the river below the city. Then the process repeats itself for any city or town downstream that uses water from that source. One of the big issues is the water from storm sewers that is not normally treated.

Years ago I met a co-worker at Ft Hood. He was all upset and claimed he would never drink water again. It seems they found a decomposed human body in what ever lake they used for water near Bryan-College Station, TX where he was based. I asked what he was going to drink. At each anwer Coca-Cola, Beer, bottled, etc. I had to tell him it was all made from purified water from local sources mostly. I also pointed out where fish had sex, pooped, and died, etc. Boy was I helpful. My final advice was don't pay attention to some things in the news and MOSTLY don't think so much.

I asked what he was going to drink. At each anwer Coca-Cola, Beer, bottled, etc. I had to tell him it was all made from purified water from local sources mostly. I also pointed out where fish had sex, pooped, and died, etc.

Drink the bottled (or canned) beer. Most likely it's been pasteurized.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Our previous townhouse community had a well for watering plants and city water for inside the homes. This apartment building has outside faucets that look like those you find at Cabela's but I have not yet asked if it is potable water in those--we drove out to Cabela's to use the faucet that was labeled potable water.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Archived