Volvo air assist clutch

Jaydrvr

Has anyone attempted to implement the air assist clutch project discussed at length in a previous thread? Father Time has assaulted my clutch leg, and it's getting painfully more difficult to drive on back roads and city streets. The subject in question is a '99 Volvo with N14 and Super 10 transmission. My truck is the culmination of many years of planning and improving, and I don't ever see myself trading for an i-Shift, etc....... I don't think wrestling with a custom automated transmission install is practical, either.

Maybe I misunderstand, so forgive me if I did, but with a Super 10 there is no need to use the clutch except when coming to a full stop. Once I am moving I float shift every gear, both up and down.

That is one thing I love about the Super 10 in city expressway traffic jams. I can just keep gearing down and creep along without touching the clutch or the brakes. There have been times where I have gone 30 or 40 minutes never exceeding 25 MPH and never touching the clutch. 1st gear is barely walking speed, usually I only go to 2nd or 3rd. Watch semis in traffic and you will see what I mean about just creeping along.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Maybe I misunderstand, so forgive me if I did, but with a Super 10 there is no need to use the clutch except when coming to a full stop. Once I am moving I float shift every gear, both up and down.

That is one thing I love about the Super 10 in city expressway traffic jams. I can just keep gearing down and creep along without touching the clutch or the brakes. There have been times where I have gone 30 or 40 minutes never exceeding 25 MPH and never touching the clutch. 1st gear is barely walking speed, usually I only go to 2nd or 3rd. Watch semis in traffic and you will see what I mean about just creeping along.

That's true, and how I've survived so far. If it's an all Interstate day, no problem, but in my winter urban area, it's difficult to do 400 miles without 40-50 or more clutch applications. I usually slip out of gear if I am forced to stop, and only use the clutch to get moving again. I can't sit on the clutch at a light....

Eaton also makes a model called Easy Pedal, which reduces the amount of pressure needed a considerable amount. When I have nothing better to spend the funds on, I'll have one installed. We have a 10 sp Rockwell which I think is the precursor to the Eaton Super 10

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Eaton also makes a model called Easy Pedal, which reduces the amount of pressure needed a considerable amount. When I have nothing better to spend the funds on, I'll have one installed. We have a 10 sp Rockwell which I think is the precursor to the Eaton Super 10

The operative phrase being "When I have nothing better to spend the funds on"!! I've considered that too, and I will do some research in that direction, but my current clutch is functioning perfectly, sooooo....

Also, that doesn't address the Volvo slave cylinder issue. They tend to get really stiff over time, and replacing them can help with pedal pressure.

My former boss had a Volvo with the "Easy Pedal" . He tried mine, and my mod is HALF the effort and <10% of the cost.

That would have been my "guess", but it's nice to have someone's actual experience. The air assist has always seemed like an obvious "best" solution. It's definitely on my short list.

We have an easy pedal clutch. It is easier than a regular clutch but not near as good as an air-assisted.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Shortly after I bought my T2000 in 2008, I had the opportunity to drive Toyhauler's truck with a factory air-assisted clutch.

Had my truck not been fully automated, trying to rig up an air-assisted clutch would have been near the very top of the the "must-do" list of upgrades.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Archived