Another Newbie Question

SWharton

In 5th wheels, under the front jacks and the rear stabilizers you normally put blocks of some sort. Do I need to do the same in a MH, my thought is yes but I am not sure. We didn't pay attention to the MH's this last trip as our minds weren't heading that way.

I guess I also need to carry wood to put under all the tires when parked for a while.

We use pads under the jacks of our motorhome - keeps from sinking into soft ground, also helps keep them a little cleaner. If you are building your own, make sure you put a loop of some kind that you can grab with a hook to pull them out as you are getting ready to leave - - helps save those knees. We always seem to find ourselves parks on gravel when doing expended stays so we don't worry about having something under the tires AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN CONTACT WITH THE GROUND. If the tire is off the ground then we put pads underneath the tires. Usually doesn't happen that often. We also put blocks under the jacks if we know that we are going to have to raise front or back a far bit.

Barb

When we stay someplace for more than a week we always had put something under our tires to prevent leaching. We generally put handles on our blocks but will add a rope or something.

I also thought raising your chassis off the ground was a no-no as it could twist the chassis. I guess that could depend where the jacks are located.

Thanks

If you're building wooden jack blocks , simply drill holes big enough for your awning hook to slip into . Preferably on all corners to aid in placement and removal . No need for loops or rope or straps . Keeps things simple , cleaner and easier to store .

I also thought raising your chassis off the ground was a no-no as it could twist the chassis. I guess that could depend where the jacks are located.

Our chassis builder, Spartan, has no problem with the front tires being in the air. The parking brakes are in the rear, so the the rear tires need to be on the ground or on blocks.

I have never heard of tires having to be replaced because of leaching or any other problem with the type of ground they are on. I dont ever put anything under my tires. Most tires on RVs age out , they dont wear out and they dont go bad because they are parked on the ground.

I have never heard of tires having to be replaced because of leaching or any other problem with the type of ground they are on. I dont ever put anything under my tires. Most tires on RVs age out , they dont wear out and they dont go bad because they are parked on the ground.

Jim, this is my understanding too. Blocks under the tires are called leveling blocks, not anti-leeching blocks. If a specific ground-type caused a problem with your tires, somebody would be making a product for that and trying to sell it to us. :)

Archived