Another Newbie Question

SWharton

In 5th wheels, under the front jacks and the rear stabilizers you normally put blocks of some sort. Do I need to do the same in a MH, my thought is yes but I am not sure. We didn't pay attention to the MH's this last trip as our minds weren't heading that way.

I guess I also need to carry wood to put under all the tires when parked for a while.

It helps keeping the jacks from sinking into soft ground. Also keeps from making dents in black top. Sometimes I use 2 or 3 stacked so the jacks don't have to extend all the way. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We use pads under the jacks of our motorhome - keeps from sinking into soft ground, also helps keep them a little cleaner. If you are building your own, make sure you put a loop of some kind that you can grab with a hook to pull them out as you are getting ready to leave - - helps save those knees. We always seem to find ourselves parks on gravel when doing expended stays so we don't worry about having something under the tires AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN CONTACT WITH THE GROUND. If the tire is off the ground then we put pads underneath the tires. Usually doesn't happen that often. We also put blocks under the jacks if we know that we are going to have to raise front or back a far bit.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

When we stay someplace for more than a week we always had put something under our tires to prevent leaching. We generally put handles on our blocks but will add a rope or something.

I also thought raising your chassis off the ground was a no-no as it could twist the chassis. I guess that could depend where the jacks are located.

Thanks

If you're building wooden jack blocks , simply drill holes big enough for your awning hook to slip into . Preferably on all corners to aid in placement and removal . No need for loops or rope or straps . Keeps things simple , cleaner and easier to store .

Goes around , comes around .

I also thought raising your chassis off the ground was a no-no as it could twist the chassis. I guess that could depend where the jacks are located.

Our chassis builder, Spartan, has no problem with the front tires being in the air. The parking brakes are in the rear, so the the rear tires need to be on the ground or on blocks.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have never heard of tires having to be replaced because of leaching or any other problem with the type of ground they are on. I dont ever put anything under my tires. Most tires on RVs age out , they dont wear out and they dont go bad because they are parked on the ground.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I have never heard of tires having to be replaced because of leaching or any other problem with the type of ground they are on. I dont ever put anything under my tires. Most tires on RVs age out , they dont wear out and they dont go bad because they are parked on the ground.

Jim, this is my understanding too. Blocks under the tires are called leveling blocks, not anti-leeching blocks. If a specific ground-type caused a problem with your tires, somebody would be making a product for that and trying to sell it to us. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Only use one pad/board under the jacks. Using more increases the chance of the stack moving/creeling and bending a jack, according to HWH FAQ's.

The only time I use pads is when on soft surfaces or blacktop. I made my own from scraps of 1" thick plywood cut to 12" sq.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived