pick up towing Motorhome

Duane Fehr

passed a pick up pulling a Motorhome on the opposite side of the interstate. The wife and I were trying to think of different scenarios where that would be necessary. When they get there does he go to work in the pickup and maybe the wife drives the motorhome when necessary?maybe the old Motorhome is not very reliable so they tow it with the pick up? Any comments are welcome.

Pulling? ...as with a chain? ..or towing as with a more permanent setup?

If towing, may not run but is what he/they have so there it goes.

Variety of possibilities ...none real good, and less good as size of mh increases!

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Not sure about the situation you spoke to but the various truck forums are full of folks doing truly stupid things with trucks, including towing FWs backwards via the septic tank storage "bumper". Not sure I've seen a picture of a truck towing a motorhome. That's a first for me.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Over the years, I've seen a Class A towing a small Class C, one of the older Toyota based mini's, using a standard toad tow bar setup. I've also seen a couple of Class B's in tow behind A's. Never a pickup towing an A or a C though!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

When hosting in Alabama , we witnessed a MH ( about a 35 footer ) that was towed into and out of the park via an older truck tractor . It had a 'permanent tow set up . IIRC , the gentleman said he'd been doing it that way for years and that they lived not too far from the park .

Goes around , comes around .

I heard a story some time back about a couple that had an older ford powered class c and pulled a courier pu as a toad. The mh had a tired 360 as it goes, and when they would come to a hill, the wife would get in the courier and help push.

If it were any one else but the guy that told me the story, I might claim bs. But this guy is a straight arrow and he claims it true as it was his shirt tail relative that was doing it.

I'm a work'n on it.

That reminds me of a guy I saw pulling a fairly large 5th wheel and he had the hitch mounted right at the end of the pickup bed, just in front of where the tail gate would ave bee, if he had one. The front end of the truck was VERY light to the point the read was several inches lower than the front.

When I remarked on the unusual arrangement he said, "Well, this lets me haul my 4-wheeler."

Reminds me of an old saying the granny of a friend of mine used to say, "Every pot has to sit on its own bottom."

Whatever that means.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived