5th wheel weights

R&J UK

Hi everyone

Thanks for the advise.

I think the biggest problem we have found is the vast number of different combinations of truck within a weight category such as the various gear ratios 3.55 or 3.73 etc. We didn't realise that it made such a difference to the towing and weight carrying capacity of the truck.

If I can persuade my wife (who is slightly nervous about drw), I think we may go the dually route if nothing else but for the stability and braking and it should open up a wider selection of 5th wheel options to buy , as everyone says you can never have too much truck.

Cheers

Roland

My wife drives our dually with no problems, the only thing we do different from a car is park further out in parking lots, avoid a few drive throughs and all drive through car washes. Duallies are no big deal, many small cars are more difficult to see through when backing up. A reverse camera and rear proximity sensors are nice. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

My wife drives our DRW as it is our only vehicle.

Watch the trucks GCWR. In Texas if you are at 26,001# and over and towing a trailer over 10,000#, you will need to get a class A non-commercial license. This will require taking a small written test over a part of the commercial license ruls and a test driving the truck and trailer. Not hard to pass at all.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Keep in mind that the extra towing weight offered by a lower axle ratio isn't free, you trade higher engine RPM for the increased capacity. Putting 4.30 gears in a truck compared to 3.73 makes a big difference in the engine noise at highway speeds, top speed and a bit of fuel economy when not towing. In general you want to go with the highest ratio that will work for your load.

Your dealer should be able to give you a chart with road speed versus RPM for the various gearing options.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Keep in mind that the extra towing weight offered by a lower axle ratio isn't free, you trade higher engine RPM for the increased capacity. Putting 4.30 gears in a truck compared to 3.73 makes a big difference in the engine noise at highway speeds, top speed and a bit of fuel economy when not towing. In general you want to go with the highest ratio that will work for your load.

Your dealer should be able to give you a chart with road speed versus RPM for the various gearing options.

Dealers know nothing about gears and setting up a truck to pull with, they only think about high gears for empty mileage not the proper gears for pulling a load and getting the best mileage pulling. I will guaranty that I will get better mileage pulling with 4.30 gears over 3.73 gears with very little given up empty. With the new transmissions with 2 OD gears it leveled out the 3.73/4.30 mileage.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I will guaranty that I will get better mileage pulling with 4.30 gears over 3.73 gears with very little given up empty. With the new transmissions with 2 OD gears it leveled out the 3.73/4.30 mileage.

Denny

Same for me. I changed my 1999 Ford V-10 from 3.73 to 4.30 and got better performance and mileage towing, and just about the same mileage empty. When I ordered my 2010 Ford V-10 I went right to the 4.30 rear axle and never looked back. I note that they didn't even offer the 3.73 in 2010, only 4.10 and 4.30. So the most efficient rear axle ratio depends on the engine, transmission, tire size, etc. The best plan would probably be to find others with the same truck and see what they're running.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I have the same question for my truck with this model 5th wheel. The 3055RL Bighorn is one on our short list. My initial thought is that this 5th wheel is too big for my truck (or even likely so before getting detailed weights).

Here is the tow capabilities from the Dodge website (the 2006 Trailer Life shows 13,100 max tow):

2006 dodge ram pickup 2500 2500 SLT, QUAD CAB, 4WD, 6.25 Ft Bed, 4-Speed Automatic Transmission, 5.9-Liter HO Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine:
spacer.gif

With 3.73 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13000 lbs dot_gif.gifGross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 9000 lbs
dot_gif.gifPayload = 2138 lbs
dot_gif.gifCurb Weight = 6862 lbs
dot_gif.gifCurb Weight Front/Rear = 4194 lbs/4194 lbs
dot_gif.gifGAWR Front/Rear = 5200 lbs/6010 lbs
dot_gif.gifGross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 20000 lbs

spacer.gif

With 4.10 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13000 lbs dot_gif.gifGross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 9000 lbs
dot_gif.gifCurb Weight = 6862 lbs
dot_gif.gifCurb Weight Front/Rear = 4194 lbs/4194 lbs
dot_gif.gifGAWR Front/Rear = 5200 lbs/6010 lbs
dot_gif.gifGross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) = 20000 lbs

Just 2 of us and a yellow lab and we travel pretty light. I will be adding a Pull-rite Super Glide hitch for peace of mind with the short bed. I see many on the Heartland forum towing this rig with 250 and 2500 trucks, but not sure they are doing so within limits? Would love to be able to consider this unit... what do you think?

...I have the same question for my truck with this model 5th wheel. The 3055RL Bighorn is one on our short list. My initial thought is that this 5th wheel is too big for my truck (or even likely so before getting detailed weights)...Here is the tow capabilities from the Dodge website (the 2006 Trailer Life shows 13,100 max tow):

With 3.73 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13000 lbs dot_gif.gifGross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 9000 lbs

spacer.gif

With 4.10 Axle Ratio Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13000 lbs dot_gif.gifGross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) = 9000 lbs

dot_gif.gifPayload = 2138 lbs...

I see many on the Heartland forum towing this rig with 250 and 2500 trucks, but not sure they are doing so within limits? Would love to be able to consider this unit... what do you think?

If this is the same model Bighorn that you are looking at, the dry pin weight is 1995#. The GVWR of the trailer appears to be 14,000#(11075+2925). the GVWR(9000#) + trailer GVWR(14,000#) gives a Gross Combined weight of 23,000#. My guess is that that combination would be over just about all the maximum ratings for the truck.

Freestone I had the bighorn 3100 RL which is pretty much the same trailer in weights. I pulled it with a 1 ton dually and was very glad I did. That was a heavy trailer and I figure the pin weight was close to 2500 lbs loaded. That is too much weight for a single wheel rear axle.

The dually handled it well and was great in winds. It was a rough ride though...loaded or unloaded I did not like driving that truck.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Every new 5th wheeler has to face this question: how much truck do I need for the trailer I want (or the reverse, how small of a trailer do I have to get to pull safely behind my truck)?

I had not previously seen the calculator that RayIN referred to -- but there is no avoiding the fact that you have to go through the numbers in detail if you want to have a safe truck/trailer combination.

You can download the spreadsheet that I created for our analysis -- and tweak it for your own circumstances. This allowed me to compare several trucks against our selected trailer. The link is here: http://yourpcgeek.com/blog/z-truck-capacities-solar-plans-etc/ Just download it & modify it to meet your own needs.

Safe Travels,

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

Thanks yourpcgeek49 your calculator has made it a lot easier to work out what truck/5th wheel combo to look at.

I think the biggest problem we have is trying to work out how much stuff we are going to have with us .

Coming from the UK one thing in our favour is the amount of luggage we can bring on the plane , but we still have to factor in all the equipment we will have to buy to kit the rv out .

We can now sit down and try and remember some of our school maths

Roland

Archived