Moving, Motorhome is allready a Motorhome

dascom

I have read everything in Marks resource guide about registration of our HDT's

Did not really answer my question so here goes.

For the HDT's out there that have a title that says it is a Motorhome, who has had any problems when moving to another state?

Am not speaking about doing a conversion and getting it titled that way, but that it is already titled that way.

Just like moving and taking your Provost class A or a motorcycle to the new state.

I would think going into the new state title department would be a painless deal. New state title, body style MH. Am I thinking correctly?

The second question is then, if you walk into the BMV to get RV tags with the Motorhome title, has anyone here had problems, why and where?

TIA-Dave

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Maybe.

As I remember New Jersey is near impossible to get an HDT registration but you can move one already registered in from another state.

My best recommendation is to move residence to an easy state like South Dakota or Texas.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

My HDT was previously registered as an RV in two states but when I registered it in South Dakota they would not register it as an RV, just a private truck. Could not get them to reconsider.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

It can be done in New Jersey but it will be on on a reconstructed title and you have to submit pictures of the interior and exterior. It must have a bed, cooking source and a place to wash your hands. Now they will let you register it as a private vehicle with relative ease but it is pricey because it is based off of GVWR. They do let you pick what you want your GVWR to be. I would think that it would be no issue going from state to state with a motor home title. I would just refer to it as such. Don't mention that it is a HDT. JMO.

Chet: Is it the case that even the Class A motor homes in South Dakota are licensed as private trucks?

If so then it is understandable in that state, if there is no RV tag then you can't get it.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

I am not an expert on SD titling. Another Volvo owner got his through as an RV and thinks he was just lucky that the guy was not at work that day. It seems that in the last couple of years the person assigning the registration as RV/truck has taken a tighter stance in assigning an HDT as a RV. I don't think it would be a problem with a Class A as it was built as an RV.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

My HDT was previously registered as an RV in two states but when I registered it in South Dakota they would not register it as an RV, just a private truck. Could not get them to reconsider.

This past November, we filled out the affidavit saying the truck was a motorhome with the necessary equipment- fridge, microwave, bed, toilet, 110v power, etc. It had been registered in several states as a motorhome before. and the insurance card (Blue Sky) stated it was a motorhome. We had no issue when we went to the Minnehaha county treasurer's office to register it. It was actually parked in their parking lot in site of the windows.....you can't miss it with the flames..

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I am not an expert on SD titling. Another Volvo owner got his through as an RV and thinks he was just lucky that the guy was not at work that day. It seems that in the last couple of years the person assigning the registration as RV/truck has taken a tighter stance in assigning an HDT as a RV. I don't think it would be a problem with a Class A as it was built as an RV.

If you go in person, there are 6-8 walk-up windows, with about half being in use at any time. No particular person deals with HDT's or specific vehicles at the Minnehaha county treasurers office. This is in Sioux Falls where we use Dakota Post (formerly Alternative Resources)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Dave,

There is a motorhome tag, but they require a motorhome body to get it:

SDCL 32-3-65
To become a motor home, the truck tractor shall be modified to include a vehicular-type unit built on the tractor's chassis and designed primarily as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, vacation, or travel use.

But of course, if it's already a motorhome on it's title, you wouldn't be converting it in South Dakota.

A private truck registration is considerably cheaper for the same weight (e.g. at 46,000 lbs a motorhome less than 10 years old is $690 and a private truck would be $462). There has been some confusion in the past whether a private truck towing a recreational vehicle has to include the weight of the trailer on the truck's registration, but the intent seems reasonably clear to me--you should only have to include in the gross weight of the truck enough to cover its weight--you're already paying annually for the gross weight of the "travel trailer" when it is registered.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

My truck started in Delaware. It was titled as a motorhome there. I bought it from a fellow HDTer and brought the truck to Ohio. I also live in Ohio. I had the title converted to an Ohio title with no problems. The Ohio title is a motorhome title. The only thing that I needed to do was bring the truck to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and have the truck inspected to see if the serial number on the truck matches the serial number of the Delaware title. That procedure was painless.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

My truck started in Delaware. It was titled as a motorhome there. I bought it from a fellow HDTer and brought the truck to Ohio. I also live in Ohio. I had the title converted to an Ohio title with no problems. The Ohio title is a motorhome title. The only thing that I needed to do was bring the truck to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and have the truck inspected to see if the serial number on the truck matches the serial number of the Delaware title. That procedure was painless.

Al

That's funny as we did it the other way, bought our truck from a member in Ohio who had it titled as a motorhome and brought it to Delaware where they titled it as a RV and all they did was check the vin number.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived