NEW HORIZONS STRESS CRACKS

MIKE&GRANNY

If the crack is from the corner of the bed slide down to the edge of the compartment door then that is a very common crack. Not just on a New Horizons, but common on many coaches. It usually occurs when the distance between the two is not very great. The only real "fix" is a relief cut and a trim strip. That will take care of it. That is the same fix most manufacturers use for this kind of crack. In fact, some manufacturers put this strip in preemptively.

This applies to most of these situations, but there are some cracks that are not of this type. I'd have to see it to be sure.

My 1999 King of the Road has it, too, as has a later model KOTR which I have also seen it happen on. I have seen the gap change just with temperature so I think this implies it is just the surface material that has fatigued. Main thing is to seal is so water does not penetrate.

I thought it sometimes meant emphasis of something vs (yelling) but what do I know. This isn't a big deal in the scheme of life but I might have waited to see if they did it more than once or twice. They may be as ignorant of the proper ettiquette in the internet as me but I doubt it. Without even knowing them, I give them more credit. :)

OK folks. Back on topic. In our case our Holiday Rambler developed a downward slanting crack from the front bottom corner. When the aluminum skin was opened up it we discovered that the aluminum upright frame stud closest to the slide opening had a bad weld at the bottom which broke. HR did a wonderful repair.

We have a 2010 New Horizons and this crack appeared in the last year. It could be considered a design issue when any fifth wheel is built with a short distance along a potential stress area. As Jack stated, the only repair would be a trim piece to allow the give and go of the stress.

post-23635-0-59087600-1423679213_thumb.jpg

We have a 2010 New Horizons and this crack appeared in the last year. It could be considered a design issue when any fifth wheel is built with a short distance along a potential stress area. As Jack stated, the only repair would be a trim piece to allow the give and go of the stress.

Well I suppose you could eliminate the bedroom slide, OR eliminate the compartment door. That would - and does - resolve the issue. OR youcan build a longer coach that does not have the doors located in that area. Like ours. But given the size of the coach there is not much you can do if you want basement doors and a slide.

The newer structure - starting in 2015 - will likely resolve this issue. At least that is my opinion.

I hope you're planning a visit to the factory in the near future.

Archived