Method to calculate weight transfer to axles

noteven

Weight transfer for payload or equipment added situated between the axles can be calculated using:

(A x PL) = LR

WB

PL - LR = LF

Where:

A = Payload item cg distance in WB dimension units (such as inches) to front axle

PL = Payload (or added equipment) item weight

WB = Wheelbase dimension (center line of front axle to center of rear axle or rear axle group - i.e. center of tandems)

LR = Load to rear axle.

LF = Load to front axle.

For loads like the hitch and pin weight behind the rear axle - I can cipher out the answer with placemat math but I cannot express it as a proper formula. Need help. :(

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Weight transfer for payload or equipment added situated between the axles can be calculated using:

(A x PL) = LR

WB

PL - LR = LF

Where:

A = Payload item cg distance in WB dimension units (such as inches) to front axle

WB = Wheelbase dimension (center line of front axle to center of rear axle or rear axle group - i.e. center of tandems)

LR = Load to rear axle.

LF = Load to front axle.

For loads like the hitch and pin weight behind the rear axle - I can cipher out the answer with placemat math but I cannot express it as a proper formula. Need help. :(

Would'nt you simply replace LF with LH (load to Hitch) for the trailing unit?

I'm a work'n on it.

A is then a negative number should all calculate the same.

That sounds right:

(- R x PL) = FLR

WB

Where:

R = Payload item cg distance in WB dimension units (such as inches) behind the center of rear axle group

FLR = Front Load Reduction.

There is no second calculation as all the weight is carried by the rear axle(s) as the fulcrum.

So a 5000lbs ET & trailer pin set 36 inches behind the axle on a 230" wheelbase truck would be:

(-36 x 5000) = 782lbs - weight removed from front axle.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived