Radio antenna

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

What are most of you folks do for a radio antenna ? I have a cb antenna on top of the passenger side mirror. Where is your radio antenna located ? What kind of antenna do you use for your radio ? Are you using a car antenna ? When I travel I like to listen to the local radio station to see what is going on in the area. It is always nice to know what the local weather is going to be. I am looking for some ideas.

Thanks for any help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

We just uses whatever came with the truck for AM and FM, for CB we had a set of dual, mirror mounted ones but rarely used the CB for anything but weather radio alerts.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

My 1999 Volvo has what I believe is called a multi-plex box under the dash. It provides for radio & CB inputs & outputs to the antennae mounted to the mirrors. Check under your dash for just such an animal. It's maybe 3" x 2" and should have leads coming out for the CB & radio. Mark probably has something in the HDT archive or fix it section that would help.

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

We just uses whatever came with the truck for AM and FM, for CB we had a set of dual, mirror mounted ones but rarely used the CB for anything but weather radio alerts.

The truck has an after market radio. My problem is I do not see any am/fm antenna wire. The truck had satellite radio. I need to add an antenna, but what do I use ? And where to you located the antenna for the best reception ?

Al

Might not have had one installed at the factory, check the edges of the windshield carefully to make sure there isn't one hidden away.

If there is no factory one an add-on type is cheap and easy

http://smile.amazon.com/Hidden-Antenna-Motorcycle-Applications-Windshield/dp/B001QYSXAS/ref=sr_1_6

http://smile.amazon.com/Am-Fm-Hidden-Windshield-Antenna-Radio/dp/B009CRMABY/ref=sr_1_1

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Alan:

The first question is does your aftermarket radio have the "Motorola" sleeve and pin antenna Receptacle on it? it will either be on the end of a short cable, or mounted right in the back of the unit.

If it does, use one of the above antennas--or any old whip antenna off an old car.

Oh, and I personally disagree about Sirius XM. I got 3 months free with my new car. Out of all the stations on it there wasn't ONE that played a selection anyone in my family of 7 wanted to listen to. Interesting because there are 3 local free stations we like! And then they called 2-3 times a day trying to get me to sign up: I had to get real nasty and tell them if they called again I was going to report them. So I suggest finding someone who has it and sampling before you sign up!

As far as the weather...Weather.gov Mobile on your Smart phone...ONLY way to go. (Did you know the average US citizen checks the weather ~4 times a day?)

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I think the am fm antenna in your truck is up in the roof behind the visor above the storage boxes there should be a lead from it to the radio, I've never seen mine but was told that is were it is.

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

I hooked an Alpine stereo to what was there...guessing its connected to CB ant with the box somewhere. It works but not great.

I always use Sirius radio.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

The anteena built into the roof is the TV antenna.

I don't know if the multiplexor is standard on all Volvos but the 770/780 have them. The triband (CB, AM/FM, old cellular) antennas are standard. But often the mirror antennas are replaced with simpler (cheaper) CB only antennas.

The multiplexor matches the two mirror antennas to the CG antenna cable connector. Again, truckers are known to hack the hell out of wiring for quick fixes. There is the standard old style AF/FM radio antenna in the mess of cables behind the radio,

The standard Volvo radios used standard connectors for connecting the radio. Whether someone has hacked the wiring to use a non-Volvo radio instead of getting an adapter cable is an issue.

A standard Volvo radio has quick disconnect from mounts and then has a bolt in ghe most god awful place to get to. Few radio replacements use the bolt again.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I was told by a radio shop that my radio and CB both use the mirror mounted antennas. That said I rarely if ever use the AM or FM. For music on the road we use the iPod plugged into the radio, for news we use Sirius for NPR, for weather we use the weather channel on the CB.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Hi Everyone,

The after market radio has a standard antenna plug. The cb antenna goes from the cb to the antenna on the passenger mirror. As for Sirius radio that idea is still not in the picture and probably won't be. At the present time I do not have a smart phone, just a flip phone. But some day I will move into a smart phone. Has anyone placed a standard radio antenna on top of one of the mirrors ?

Please keep the ideas coming,

Al

Alan: Absolutely no reason why you couldn't mount a normal whip antenna on the mirror bracket. Mark suggests there is already a antenna bundled in the wiring behind the radio that may not be in use...(a AM/FM antenna doesn't need to be a whip...) Look for a "Motorola" pin type plug. Or Stanley has some nice links for antennas you could just run up a corner post inside the cab.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

This might work for you and keep the antenna on the mirror. This splitter will probably be required as well. We like SiriusXM radio in our daily drivers but decided to mount an in motion satellite dome on the Volvo which gives me the same music from my home satellite subscription and no extra satellite radio monthly fees.

I don't want to hijack this thread but are there things to look for I a quality AM Antenna and is there a preferred mounting location that would help with the reception of the antenna. On some of my trucks I notice I have better reception in one direction of travel as opposed to the other. I think the term is ground plane (it's been a lot of years since school).

Al, if yours has Antennas on both mirrors it is not inconceivable that you could use one of them for the children's band radio and the other for the AM/FM. I am now using one side just for the broadcast band and the other side for my 70cm/2m/6m/10m quad-band ham transceiver. You might change the stick to fit the band you desire, cheap and easy.

You still need a auto transfer switch for the inverter, will try to remember to bring one to ECR.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Al, if yours has Antennas on both mirrors it is not inconceivable that you could use one of them for the children's band radio and the other for the AM/FM. I am now using one side just for the broadcast band and the other side for my 70cm/2m/6m/10m quad-band ham transceiver. You might change the stick to fit the band you desire, cheap and easy.

You still need a auto transfer switch for the inverter, will try to remember to bring one to ECR.

Hi Dave,

It is nice to see that you and Jenney are going to be at the ECR this year. I am still in need for the transfer switch for the inverter. I will not have the wiring done before the rally. It would be nice to kick some ideas around with you. My plan right now is to follow Randy's (The Professor) hand out from last year.

Thank you for your offer of the transfer switch,

Al

Archived