Rainbows End -Buying a deeded lot.

schneid811

Can anyone tell me how to purchase a deeded lot that is For Sale By Owner at Rainbows End?

How are taxes computed? In general, how much are they?

What utility costs are there for : power, water, sewer, telephone, internet?

Who provides these and what are the "startup costs"?

There are a number of lots for sale as we walk around the park. So I cant be the only SKP member needing or wanting this information.

Thank you,

Why not simply start by asking the owner? The office could help on generalities but not on the specifics of a lot you may be interested in.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I am asking here because there is a lot of confusion in the answers that I am getting.

A) I asked at the office about information on deeded lots and was told that Escapees is out of it once the lot was originally sold by Escapees Corporate to the first buyer.

But that is not true as you get your sewage from Rainbow End Waste Water if you have most of the lots. You MUST be an Escapee Member to use the sewage system.

B) The lot owner may not be available and I want to know the costs before I make an offer on the lot.

C) The tax appraisals vary greatly for lots on the same street with little difference in the properties. The asking prices on lots with RV Portals and no house are a lot higher than the appraised price.

D) I have been told by neighbors to the lots that you don't have to be an Escapee to buy the properties. But as shown above you cant get sewage treatment if your not a member.

I am trying to get simple answers but am getting more confused. Any help with specifics would be appreciated.

You are wanting concrete answers that are not there. The appraisal may/will be adjusted according to the sale price.

I would speak to neighbors with similar properties as to the utilities.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

Your questions

1. You purchase from the deeded owner, as you would anywhere. Some are listed by a agent so you would purchase Thru them, but still FROM the deeded owner. I don't know if Escapees actually own any of the deeded lots any longer, the last I knew sold, undeveloped.

2. property taxes, like most places are a percent figure based on the COUNTY appraisal value. This value is usually much lower than a real estate appraisal value. Here is a link to the 2014 tax rates. If you poke around you can find the actual tax for any given piece of property, but I guarentee it will probably be meaningless for a number of reasons.

http://tools.cira.state.tx.us/users/0122/docs/Financials/Tax/Notice%20of%202014%20Proposed%20Property%20Tax%20Rate%20for%20Polk%20County.pdf

3. These all depend on YOUR usage except for phone and Internet. Check Livingston Tele web site for up to date information, I believe we pay around $50-80 for phone and mediocre Internet.

4. Sheco is the electric provider, it is a coop. - http://www.samhouston.net . Providence Water supplies the water, the sewer charge is calculated from that usage, and they are paid as a package. It is a little private Podunk water company, here is their contact info... https://local.yahoo.com/info-19123924-knebel-walter-cpaprovidence-water-supply-livingston;_ylt=A0LEV06EArJUH5YAmnHBGOd_?viewtype=map . Startup, and use cost will vary for all of these, depending on your credit history, where you are moving from, how much time you spend at home & etc.

Good Luck !

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

I am trying to get simple answers but am getting more confused. Any help with specifics would be appreciated.

So are you saying that you are going to make an offer on a property that you have not had details disclosed to you? Even if it is listed by a realtor they should be able to supply you will all facts about any property. Tax issues are from the county & state in terms of appraisals. The sale prices are set by the owners and may or may not reflect valuations. The market price is whatever the owner is willing to accept for the property so if you feel the price is too high, make a lower offer. Any good realtor will have access to current tax statements, utility agreements, and any other legal issue. They should have copies of recent bills showing what was paid for the utilities but if they don't you can only get that from the seller, since privacy laws make them the only ones who can release such information.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

So are you saying that you are going to make an offer on a property that you have not had details disclosed to you?

I don't think he said that.... I think he's trying to get as much information as he can before he considers making an offer. Seems reasonable to me. After all, buying a deeded lot in an SKP RV park is not the same as buying a condo in FL. There could be pitfalls that no one who hasn't gone through the experience - even an attorney or RE agent - would be familiar with.

As far as having to be an SKP member to get sewer (or water or WiFi or whatever) I don't see that as much of an encumbrance. Under $100 a year should be no big deal. But I would find out if the SKP organization has a lien on any lot for unpaid water or sewer before I bought it.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

I am asking here because there is a lot of confusion in the answers that I am getting.

A) I asked at the office about information on deeded lots and was told that Escapees is out of it once the lot was originally sold by Escapees Corporate to the first buyer.

But that is not true as you get your sewage from Rainbow End Waste Water if you have most of the lots. You MUST be an Escapee Member to use the sewage system.

B) The lot owner may not be available and I want to know the costs before I make an offer on the lot.

C) The tax appraisals vary greatly for lots on the same street with little difference in the properties. The asking prices on lots with RV Portals and no house are a lot higher than the appraised price.

D) I have been told by neighbors to the lots that you don't have to be an Escapee to buy the properties. But as shown above you cant get sewage treatment if your not a member.

The answer is yes, you have to be an Escapees member to "buy" a deeded lot. Also keep in mind that owning a lot does not give the lot owner privilege to utilize park facilities such as the Activity Center, Clubhouse, pool and so on. Those are Escapees membership and campground guest privileges only.

Even though Rainbow's End Sewer operates and manage the sewer system, Escapees is not involved with the selling of lots.

Guest Pensauncola

The answer is yes, you have to be an Escapees member to "buy" a deeded lot. Also keep in mind that owning a lot does not give the lot owner privilege to utilize park facilities such as the Activity Center, Clubhouse, pool and so on. Those are Escapees membership and campground guest privileges only.

Even though Rainbow's End Sewer operates and manage the sewer system, Escapees is not involved with the selling of lots.

Well, you just added to my confusion.

So, I have to be an Escapees member to "buy" a lot which tells me there is a deed restriction to that effect. Do I also have to be a member to continue owning the property? Do I have to be a member to later sell the lot?

Rainbow's End Sewer operates the sewer system, do I have to be an Escapees member to have sewer service?

Perhaps a good overview on this web site or in the magazine would be helpful to many.

THANKS!

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Well, you just added to my confusion.

So, I have to be an Escapees member to "buy" a lot which tells me there is a deed restriction to that effect. Do I also have to be a member to continue owning the property? Do I have to be a member to later sell the lot?

Rainbow's End Sewer operates the sewer system, do I have to be an Escapees member to have sewer service?

It is important to understand why deeded lots where initially sold to members and what their intent was. These lots where sold in order to give "Escapees" members a homebase when they are not traveling or when they could no longer travel.

While you could get away with dropping your membership after purchasing and switching Rainbow's End sewer into your name, it doesn't mean that you are suppose to. Again let's remember the initial intent of the lots. Keep in mind that there are no "HOA" fees, everything, such as the roads, is maintained by Escapees. Also, as I stated earlier you can not use the facilities at the park if you are not a member.

Guest Pensauncola

It is important to understand why deeded lots where initially sold to members and what their intent was. These lots where sold in order to give "Escapees" members a homebase when they are not traveling or when they could no longer travel.

While you could get away with dropping your membership after purchasing and switching Rainbow's End sewer into your name, it doesn't mean that you are suppose to. Again let's remember the initial intent of the lots. Keep in mind that there are no "HOA" fees, everything, such as the roads, is maintained by Escapees. Also, as I stated earlier you can not use the facilities at the park if you are not a member.

Thanks, that's more clear.

You are doing the right thing by asking before you buy. In this part of Texas, Southeast, many properties

are under valued on the tax rolls and if say you buy at a higher price they will re-value the property to what you paid,

if they find out. If you buy from a private owner and pay cash you can have the warranty deed state that you paid $10 and other just considerations.

Then you will have some say in how much increase in taxes you will pay. I have known several people who bought a property that had a tax roll value

of say X and when they paid 5X for it the tax people increase the value to 5X and there is a large increase in taxes. Good Luck

Thanks very much for all of the responses and the information.

The links were very helpful and I now have a lot better picture of the requirements for a lot.

We have a signed offer on a lot and are going thru the paperwork and hope to close in early Feb.

Maybe this information will help other Escapee Members who are considering the purchase of a deeded lot also.

Archived