What is a F550 ?

travelinbob

You cannot make any implications based on a name badge these days. You MUST look at the specs on a specific truck and then make decisions. For towing this is critical. The equipment is very important. Axle ratio, rear axle rating, and tire ratings all are important factors and in general are not as closely related to the badging as they once were.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

OK, I realize all that is being said but back in the old days the F350 was a 1 ton and all I'm asking is was a F550 a 2 ton or what?

Many people have asked about my F550 and all I can say is I think the F450 is maybe a 1-1/2 and a F550 is a 2 ton but maybe it should be a 1-1/4 and 1-1/2.

?????????????????????????????????

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

The "Class" rating is weight related and intended for calculating commercial vehicle taxes, shouldn't be used for anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification

In the United States, commercial truck classification is determined based on the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The classes range from 1–8.[2][3] Trucks are also classified more broadly by the Department of Transportation's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), which groups classes 1–3 as light duty, 4–6 as medium duty, and 7–8 as heavy duty.[2][4][5][6] The United States Environmental Protection Agency has a separate system of emissions classifications for trucks.[2][7] The United States Census Bureau also assigned classifications in its now-discontinued Vehicle Inventory and Use Survey (TIUS) (formerly Truck Inventory and Use Survey (TIUS)).[8]

More detail at the link but you really should just ignore this for the most part. Maybe, if you are converting a HDT it might matter?

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Hi, they have been and can be refered to as a 2 ton (medium duty), but as everyone is saying the vehicles independant SPECS are most important. At least thats what I was told by my builder.
BobQ

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

Archived