The Class-less Class

Sandie & Jim

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an RV friend that lost all the data on his computer a few months ago. He thought he was safe because he had Carbonite. However, after hours and hours of a download, the information from Carbonite was corrupted. He lost it all. I'm not a fan of uploading a lot of data on the web anyway. However, I know tons of folks do it. I have a couple large drives that I occasionally back up my info on. However, my occasional backup isn't as often as it should be.

Jeri, was he trying to restore to a new PC using Carbonite? Here's what they have to say about that:

" You can restore your crashed or repaired PC with Carbonite's Mirror Image service to recover your backed up operating system, programs, settings, and data.

This feature is intended only for use on the same PC that the backup was performed on. Using this on a different PC can cause conflicts because of the different systems' hardware configurations and the drivers that they require to run properly."

I have accidently deleted files and had no problem restoring them with the click of the mouse. The main thing that I like about Carbonite is that I don't have to manually back up (and remember to do it). Also, let's say you have a fire or someone steals your equipment. Unless you keep a backup in a separate location you'll be out of luck. I may not be able to restore the programs onto the new PC but, the data can be restored.

Lyn, I can't say how much data it would eat up on your air card. It would depend on how much or what you have it set up to do. We are fortunate that we are grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan and don't moniter it. It works for us but, maybe not all! John (heyduke) may have better ideas/experiance on this.

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

Jeri, was he trying to restore to a new PC using Carbonite? Here's what they have to say about that:

" You can restore your crashed or repaired PC with Carbonite's Mirror Image service to recover your backed up operating system, programs, settings, and data.

This feature is intended only for use on the same PC that the backup was performed on. Using this on a different PC can cause conflicts because of the different systems' hardware configurations and the drivers that they require to run properly."

I have accidently deleted files and had no problem restoring them with the click of the mouse. The main thing that I like about Carbonite is that I don't have to manually back up (and remember to do it). Also, let's say you have a fire or someone steals your equipment. Unless you keep a backup in a separate location you'll be out of luck. I may not be able to restore the programs onto the new PC but, the data can be restored.

Lyn, I can't say how much data it would eat up on your air card. It would depend on how much or what you have it set up to do. We are fortunate that we are grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan and don't moniter it. It works for us but, maybe not all! John (heyduke) may have better ideas/experiance on this.

Roger

He had his lcd screen replaced by a computer tech. The computer tech ended up deleting much of his data. So, he used Carbonite to try to get his data back. It didn't work. He was pretty annoyed.

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

http://blog.willywagon.net

He had his lcd screen replaced by a computer tech. The computer tech ended up deleting much of his data. So, he used Carbonite to try to get his data back. It didn't work. He was pretty annoyed.

I'd be annoyed too! Sounds like the "tech" may have deleted more than data? :o

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

We had a 1TB backup drive fail last year and had to have it rebuilt. They actually replaced one of the internal read/write heads and managed to save the data. Many pictures would have been lost. It cost about $750 to have the job done, but we were in a bad situation and had to go with it. Darn computers anyway!! :angry:

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

my occasional backup isn't as often as it should be.

Here's my trick: I read the funnies from my hometown newspaper on line. When they expand into the Sunday funnies, it is time to back up my electronics. Some weeks I get lazy and don't do it but most weeks it happens. Then, the first of every month the drive that lives in our car comes inside and we backup both computers to it as well.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Here's my trick: I read the funnies from my hometown newspaper on line. When they expand into the Sunday funnies, it is time to back up my electronics. Some weeks I get lazy and don't do it but most weeks it happens. Then, the first of every month the drive that lives in our car comes inside and we backup both computers to it as well.

Linda

Brilliant!

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Ed has decided to join the computer crowd, so with my limited knowledge I have been setting up his computer and teach him what I know, which isn't a lot. lol I did set him up a facebook page. I have upgraded both of our computers to Windows 10. It seems to be pretty good. Windows 8 was horrible.

On another note, it has been freezing here in Texas. Wish it would stop raining and get a little warmer Makes gate guarding really hard. When this gate is done, we are heading down to the southern part for a month. Hope it's warmer down there.

Lyn, I wish you the best on training Ed. But I believe the bird would learn faster. Tell him to send Janice a friend request on facebook.

Jerry

http://www.toadswildadventures.blogspot.com/

Just travelin' down life's highway-toot-toot!

I'd be annoyed too! Sounds like the "tech" may have deleted more than data? :o

Roger

I think Roger may be on to something here... Now the challenge with Cloud backups is likely due to the fact the the algorithm used may have detected some change in hardware thus "believing" the computer was not the same one that the backup came from.

Here is an example - when I was repairing my samsung laptop I ended up replacing the motherboard and fans at the same time. No problem, everything worked, right? Well when it came time to upgrade to Windows 10 the Microsoft algorithm didn't recognize my new motherboard as being the owner of my Microsoft software licenses and thus would not upgrade. After much discussion with Microsoft tech's a new series of computer generated software codes were added to my laptop and then I was "legal" for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Now all it well in laptop land...

entered the RV fulltime class of 2011 - March!

On the Road to Retirement...zeetraveler.blogspot.com

Beautacious days yesterday afternoon and this morning but freezing at night. Took my laundry in and checked on the RV parts I have on order (not in yet) this morning. I'm trying to get this trailer mucked out a little so I can keep it stored here while I go west this winter. I also have to go to SD in May to renew my drivers license. I should grow a pretty good crop of cobwebs before I get back to the trailer.

Does anyone have a combination printer/scanner/copier with Bluetooth so you can print from your Android tablet? If so let me know the make and model and how you like it and especially if you need a full computer to set it up and control it.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Made the move today to Miami. We'll be here for the month of December maybe longer. B)

We really don't know the birthday of our "little Mexican surprise" Cali. So we are making Dec. 2 for her birthday. Big day tomorrow a trip to a PetSmart and a doggie park.

I think a few others were on the move today too.

GO BRONCOS!!! Peyton who?

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff :)

Edited by SKP On the Go

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

Yup, we moved today also after being on Casa Grande the month of November. We are now in Yuma for a week before we make our next move.

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

Dodge problem! Carol went to the post office yesterday and when she put the window down to mail the letter, it wouldn't come back up! All of the other windows still work, so I think the master switch is the culprit. All of the power is ok, the switch has power to it but not out. Now I finally got a salvage yard in Astoria to find one in Portland and they are having it sent here on Thursday. The dodge dealer here said they could get one in a couple of days, but theirs was $125 and the salvage one was $55. I think I'll try the salvage one first. Problem is the window is down and it's raining. Ok, trash bag and duct tape, but I don't have any clear trash bags. Just hard to drive the car until it stops raining! Aaarrrrgghhh! :o

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

25° Last night and a sunny 64° this afternoon with a promise of clear sunny days for the next week. I think I can live with that. I went to the bank today to cash a check and get some more money for the trip west. When the cashier put the bills in that counting machine they use and it counted the money in the blink of an eye. I commented that the machine counted the money almost as fast as I spend it. The Cashier cracked up and dropped the money. Part of it fell on the floor. She had to gather it all up again and recount it. I'm a bad boy.

I'm really getting hitch itch now that it is closing in on the time to head west. I sure hope those parts for the trailer get here soon.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Dodge problem! Carol went to the post office yesterday and when she put the window down to mail the letter, it wouldn't come back up! All of the other windows still work, so I think the master switch is the culprit. All of the power is ok, the switch has power to it but not out. Now I finally got a salvage yard in Astoria to find one in Portland and they are having it sent here on Thursday. The dodge dealer here said they could get one in a couple of days, but theirs was $125 and the salvage one was $55. I think I'll try the salvage one first. Problem is the window is down and it's raining. Ok, trash bag and duct tape, but I don't have any clear trash bags. Just hard to drive the car until it stops raining! Aaarrrrgghhh! :o

Hopefully the switch takes care of your problem. That has happened to our Jeep Liberty on all 4 windows. There is a part inside that breaks and the window falls down and won't go up. Our Jeep is a 2006 and it was a problem with that year. Sure is a pain when that happens esp. when it's raining. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Lyn and Ed

2004 Phaeton

2006 Jeep Liberty

Polaris Ranger

http://EdandLynSojourning.blogspot.com

Hopefully the switch takes care of your problem. That has happened to our Jeep Liberty on all 4 windows. There is a part inside that breaks and the window falls down and won't go up. Our Jeep is a 2006 and it was a problem with that year. Sure is a pain when that happens esp. when it's raining. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Had something similar with our 2009 Wrangler except the windows wouldn't go down. At least they were up but, we couldn't leave our Willie in the Jeep (by cracking the windows) even though it wasn't hot out. Ended up getting the meal to go. Latter that afternoon it started to work again. Hasn't done it since but, waiting on a repeat. Thinkin' a loose/corroded ground or the ol' Gremlins! :ph34r:

Rolled into our December digs here in Port Aransas, TX. Immediately we noticed a big difference. Since leaving the Hyders and Williams we've been staying in parks that are about 90% workers. Never really talked to anyone cuz they were at work or asleep. Nice parks but it was like staying in a ghost town! Here it's full of Winter Texans and plenty of activities. Should be fun...especially if the sun ever comes out! B) Finding that El Nino and Texas is a bad combo...LOL!

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

:ph34r:

Rolled into our December digs here in Port Aransas, TX. Immediately we noticed a big difference. Since leaving the Hyders and Williams we've been staying in parks that are about 90% workers. Never really talked to anyone cuz they were at work or asleep. Nice parks but it was like staying in a ghost town! Here it's full of Winter Texans and plenty of activities. Should be fun...especially if the sun ever comes out! B) Finding that El Nino and Texas is a bad combo...LOL!

Roger

We ended up pulling into your spot in IBE. Nice spot, Roger, glad you gave it up but wish you were here to enjoy it with us.

Marsha/Paul - We opened your home brew tonight and shared it with John & Sharon and Janice & Jerry . All six of us LOVED it! Jerry thought you should send us more. I agree. Thanks again!

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

Dodge problem! Carol went to the post office yesterday and when she put the window down to mail the letter, it wouldn't come back up!

When our window went down but wouldn't come back up we had to buy a new battery. Fortunately we were able to get a jump start and drive into the shop just as the rain got heavy enough to need to close the window.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I didn't do anything today except go to town for a sandwich for lunch. John from Jimmy's RV called this afternoon and told me that he called the supplier to see why my water heater and window awning hadn't got here. The supplier said he didn't know anything about it. He asked If I wanted him to order it again from a different outfit. So it looks like I'm starting at square one again. He said he would schedule an appointment to install it as soon as it came in. If the job isn't done by the 15th I think I'll winterize it myself and tell him to hold the stuff until I get back to install it. I'm also thinking about going to RVsolarelectric in Scottsdale AZ instead of the slabs to get a solar system on the Navion. They don't install but he has a man he sends you to that is real good. Doug at RVsolarelectric has good prices on parts and he is very knowledgeable and will spend the time to discuse the system with you.

Boy that activity in San Bernardino is tragic. It looks like a bunch of Isis wantabees trying to get recognized by ISIS

I managed to find a used window master switch at a salvage yard and they will deliver it Thursday. The dodge place here didn't have one in stock so it was going to be Thursday for them too. They wanted $125 for the new one and the salvage wanted $55 for theirs, so I guess I'll take a chance on the used one. I did take the one all apart today and after I messed with it for a couple of hours it started working!! I got the window up, so I didn't try it again because we have a big rainstorm coming and I don't want to have to tape the trash bags over the window again. We couldn't go to the movies or anything as we couldn't lock the vehicle. At least that's closed and I know the motor works. Whew!

Jeri, is that the stuff that is made with old Studebaker radiators, Watch out! You could spontaneously combust!!

Lee, it looks like now it may be a disgruntled employee, but it is a terrible thing to happen. So many lives affected.

Edited by Steved44

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Boy that activity in San Bernardino is tragic. It looks like a bunch of Isis wantabees trying to get recognized by ISIS

Jeri, is that the stuff that is made with old Studebaker radiators, Watch out! You could spontaneously combust!!

Lee, it looks like now it may be a disgruntled employee, but it is a terrible thing to happen. So many lives affected.

Whatever or whoever it certainly was tragic!

Whatever she used to make that delicious brew was worth the chance. It was sure good.

Just Wanderin'

On a permanent vacation!

We ended up pulling into your spot in IBE. Nice spot, Roger, glad you gave it up but wish you were here to enjoy it with us.

Yer welcome Jeri!

There's something outside that's blinding me as I write this. I kinda remember something called "the sun". I think it may be it!!

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Didn't do much today. It was a beautiful day so I can't blame it on the weather. I cleaned up the trailer a bit and refilled the fresh water tank. This evening it was L E O (lets eat out) but I didn't feel like eating out so I begged out.

I was checking the general weather situation today and found that the people in the PNW better be wearing there water wings for the next week. The Desert SW is scheduled to have sun for the foreseeable future. So I guess I won't have an excuse for not getting anything done.