The Class-less Class

Sandie & Jim

Just adding this again so folks can mark their calendars in ink.

The date was about January 21st to about January 26th as the center of the event. I'm sure some folks will be there earlier and others will be there later. First one who arrives sets the exact location and needs to send out GPS coordinates. During that time will be the annual Italian food night and the annual Mexican Margarita night. Swains and Porters are hosting the Mexican event. Steve has volunteered with spaghetti. Since we don't know about the Lavins yet, any other great spaghetti cooks? Then, of course, Italians drink wine. I'm sure there's not going to be any shortage of Italian wine so doubt we need volunteers there. Other than those two MAJOR dates, I would suggest we leave the others for impromptu events. Just a thought ....

Anyone bring white elephant giveaways for the table again? I'm sure we can dig up stuff.

Spaghetti, sure, my name is Tony - or some people think. I can definitely do spaghetti. Garlic bread, salad.

And yes, white elephant table is fun. Some may even get back what we took last time.

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spaghetti, sure, my name is Tony - or some people think. I can definitely do spaghetti. Garlic bread, salad.

And yes, white elephant table is fun. Some may even get back what we took last time.

We will probably get there about the 19th or 20th. So we won't be first.

Doug and Toni Laird

2008 Gulfstream BT Cruiser 30'

2014 Nissan Versa

Our newest furfriend - Zoe - a beautiful black and white cat

Our blog - http://stixandbrix.blogspot.ca

event.png

Thanks for the info Lee. Don't think I've ever seen an iridium flare and will look for it this evening. Should I be looking in the NE sky? Also, liked the web site link!

Roger

Roger to see an iridium flare you need to be looking almost exactly at it when it flares because it only last a few seconds. It's a good idea to know the constellations so you can know were to look before it flares. On heavens-above on the home page enter your coordinates in their data base. The link to it is up in the right top corner. Then all the times and maps will be set for your location. Then go back to the home page and click on Iridium flares it will list all the flares for the next few weeks with all the info like brightness location in the sky time ect. Click on the date of the one you are interested in and it will bring up a map of the sky showing a time line for the Iridium satellite with a small star on the line that marks the center of the flare. Compare it with the background stars on the map to know when and where to be looking. Tonight it will be high in the NE for here in Deming right off the point of the constellation Perseus but will be different for you in AZ. You'll be able to see the satellite as it approaches but much dimmer than the flare.

There is also the peek of the Ursids meteor shower tonight. The radiant for it will be near the North Star. So look North on both sides of the Little Dipper and above it up to the zenith. I won't see much of it because I have stray sky light to the north.

There is a free planetarium called Stellarium. It's a good tool for learning the night sky. Or order a planisphere for 30 to 40 degrees. North latitude.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

That flare is supposed to hit here at 19:02 tonight. I don't think I've ever seen one either. Thanks for pointing it out Lee. Now I just have to shoot out all the lights. mumble mumble............. <_<

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42 QRP
"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea Eagle 10.6sr Inflatable

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

That flare is supposed to hit here at 19:02 tonight. I don't think I've ever seen one either. Thanks for pointing it out Lee. Now I just have to shoot out all the lights. mumble mumble............. <_<

Good thing your not up here in Washington then, the Libitards would be all over you. :ph34r:

Joe

PS After taking another look at the picture I think I need to go on a diet.

Joe

The "Doghouse" 04 Tiffin Phaeton 40TGH

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

I watched the Iridium satellite go over right on schedule but it didn't flare. Some one at NASA must have had too much Christmas Cheer when he was doing the math to figure where the sun light would bounce. However all was not lost. I did see several meteors from the Ursids shower and they were nice long ones. I really didn't expect to see any of them because Deming's sky light plus all the street lights here in the park cause a lot of light pollution.

The Iridium satellite system has a lot of spares up there for back up. They are just floating in orbit but are powered down to conserve power and wear and tear until needed. They wake them up every once in a while to correct there orbit then power them down again. So tracking them isn't so accurate. The satellite that came over tonight was about 2 degree NE of the time line they published so that was probable what caused the NO FLARE. Oh. Well better luck with the next one.

Lee (IYQ)<p>Moving from Campground to Campground so the Grim Reaper can't find me.http://www.flickr.com/photos/iyq/2013 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel pulling a 2008 Hornet TT with Hensley Arrow Hitch. Plus a 2015 Itasca Navion iQ 24v to run around in.

Just adding this again so folks can mark their calendars in ink.

The date was about January 21st to about January 26th as the center of the event. I'm sure some folks will be there earlier and others will be there later. First one who arrives sets the exact location and needs to send out GPS coordinates. During that time will be the annual Italian food night and the annual Mexican Margarita night. Swains and Porters are hosting the Mexican event. Steve has volunteered with spaghetti. Since we don't know about the Lavins yet, any other great spaghetti cooks? Then, of course, Italians drink wine. I'm sure there's not going to be any shortage of Italian wine so doubt we need volunteers there. Other than those two MAJOR dates, I would suggest we leave the others for impromptu events. Just a thought ....

Anyone bring white elephant giveaways for the table again? I'm sure we can dig up stuff.

INK???

we have to use INK?

Ink is pretty stressful.....

But yes , leaving the rest of the nights for impromptu means we can make multiple trips to Silly Als....and we have never been to the Yacht Club.

We have a small bag of stuff saved to put out on the giveaway table.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

I watched the Iridium satellite go over right on schedule but it didn't flare. Some one at NASA must have had too much Christmas Cheer when he was doing the math to figure where the sun light would bounce. However all was not lost. I did see several meteors from the Ursids shower and they were nice long ones. I really didn't expect to see any of them because Deming's sky light plus all the street lights here in the park cause a lot of light pollution.

The Iridium satellite system has a lot of spares up there for back up. They are just floating in orbit but are powered down to conserve power and wear and tear until needed. They wake them up every once in a while to correct there orbit then power them down again. So tracking them isn't so accurate. The satellite that came over tonight was about 2 degree NE of the time line they published so that was probable what caused the NO FLARE. Oh. Well better luck with the next one.

I'd never even heard of an iridium flare until the other day and neither had the friends we are with. So, we didn't know what to expect. With our chairs arranged with our backs to the fire we sat there staring into the NE sky. Pretty soon we had a small crowd of other campers standing there with us and watching because they were wondering why we were looking up. Shortly after 7:00 it looked like the window had passed and I was feeling a bit like Chicken Little so, Lynn and I turned our chairs back to the campfire. A few minutes later, our friends who were still facing the NE got all excited and exclaimed that they just saw it...a big flash! I turned and saw what looked like an increasingly fading star moving towards the north. So, yes Virginia there was a Christmas iridium flare...that or Santa making early deliveries...LOL!

BTW Lee, I noticed some of those Ursids this a.m. too. And they were long shooters. Keep posting those sky updates!

Roger

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

The Broncos looked like chumps last night. :( The rain didn't help. Peyton needs sunny and at least 60's to have a chance. :) We know how that is. LOL.

Are there still stars in the sky. Can't see them from where we are at in the Valley of the Sun.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

The Broncos looked like chumps last night. :( The rain didn't help. Peyton needs sunny and at least 60's to have a chance. :) We know how that is. LOL.

Are there still stars in the sky. Can't see them from where we are at in the Valley of the Sun.

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, but your right about them looking like chumps. Kinda like they looked against the Pats. Again sorry but if Peyton can't play in the rain, then they need another quarterback. :ph34r: Real Quarterbacks play in ALL weather conditions, just ask Steve. :P

Joe (theneverbeenaPeytonfanguy)

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Yeah, cheezeheads know!

Hey Roger, I missed the flare too. I had no excuse at all except forgetting what time 19:02 really was. LOL

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Yeah, cheezeheads know!

Hey Roger, I missed the flare too. I had no excuse at all except forgetting what time 19:02 really was. LOL

Right on, Steve. Hey I missed the flare also, but I think the fact that all we had was CLOUDS overhead might have had something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Joe

Joe

TOAD--2008 Dodge Dakota

Travel safe everyone.

Jeff

Tried to tell you that the road to the superbowl will have to go through New England!!! Think this may just be their year!!

What do you say Sue???

Linda and Ed Lavin
lavinmh@yahoo.com

Tried to tell you that the road to the superbowl will have to go through New England!!! Think this may just be their year!!

What do you say Sue???

Got my fingers crossed!

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

What do you say Sue???

Everyone knows Peyton doesn't do well if the weather isn't good. Last nights weather kept getting worse. Would've been better for Peyton if it had snowed. Will be a shame now if the Broncos ended up in the Super Bowl this year as bad as they are playing.

Jeff

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

There was a cold north east wind this morning so I peeked through my curtains most of the morning and did as little as possible. Tonight I bundled up and sat out star gazing for a while hoping to see a few Ursids meteors but no luck. I had pizza tonight getting in tune for Silly Al's. I hope the wind stays over in Texas tomorrow. I need to start getting a few thing done in preperation for my trip to Q. We have a Christmas party here at the ranch tomorrow. I tried to get out of going but was threatened with bodily harm if I didn't go.

Hey Fatso get those darn raindeer off my roof. Ho Ho HO Merry Christmas to all and to all ..... hummmm good booooozzzzzzzz

I just got back from the Christmas party here at the ranch. Very good turnout and the hors d'oeuvre were many and very good according to the people that can eat them. I was a little afraid to try most of them because of the salt in that type of food. But, I did get some nice shrimp and veggies and some home made cookies. And of course some Cranberry Juice. I had a very good Christmas because of what I was able to give. I'll not elaborate because I didn't do it to be recognized I did it because I filled a very trying need for a derserving person. It's a little chilly tonight but I think I'll bundle up and see if there are any more left over meteors from the Ursids shower. It is supposed to produce a few on thru tomorrow morning. I did see one nice one last night but am wondering if I've completely lost it sitting out in the cold to see one shooting star when I already know what it will look like. If you see me being carted off by some guys in white coats you'll know why.

Merry Christmas to all the 08 & 09 group, the classless class, and any other SKP's that are reading this for whatever reason. Hope everyone has a great Christmas and many happy miles and adventures in the new year. IYQ, use an electric blanket so you won't freeze while waiting for that one meteor to flash by. If it doesn't, I'll take a picture of one and run back and forth by your RV at Q and maybe that will be enough....... :ph34r:

"BessyBus ll"
ATT hot spot
Winegard Traveler
M&G Braking system
08 Dodge Dakota toad

1957 Johnson 5.5
SKP 98998 Class of "08"

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!

Roger and Lynn

Roger & Lynn Rempe

Class of 2012 & "Class-less"!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" -- Mark Twain (Innocents Abroad)

Christmas Day started out absolutely beautiful. Sunny sky and calm. I got my walk in early and a few chores done. Then about 1:30 all hell broke loose in the form of a 30 MPH wind. It hit all of a sudden as everyone was heading for Christmas dinner in the rec hall carrying their pot luck dishes. It's a wonder any of the side dishes survived. However dinner when off without a hitch. They had a fabulous spread and everyone was in a joyous mood. The LOW president fixed me a separate large pork chop without salt. It was delicious and so tender it just fell apart as I ate it with my fork. I brought half of it home for dinner tomorrow. After dinner I came back to the trailer and took a Steeve. My belly was so full that when I tried to lie on it I automatically rolled over on my back. All in all I'd say it was indeed a very merry Christmas.

Well now that Christmas is out of the way we can stock up on aspirin for New Years morning. When I went out this morning I saw the nearby Florida mountains covered with snow. I'll have to admit they were pretty but Buuurrrrrrr it sure was cold.

If any of you star gazers have clear skies tonight the ISS (International Space Station) will make a fly over tonight. Here in Deming it will rise in the NNW at 18:01. Reach a maximum altitude of 33 degrees in the NE at 18:06 and enter the earths shadow at an altitude of 15 degrees in the E at 18:08. The maximum magnitude will be -2.6 which is about the same as Jupiter at max brightness. Look it up on Heavens-above.com for your area. But it looks like the whole southwest will be under cloudy skies tonight. This whole week will have ISS passes every night in the SW. I hope we'll have some clear skies to see it. There are also many Iridium flares but only a couple bright ones on the 28th the rest are hardly worth looking for.