shackle replace

hemsteadc

It can be a DIY project, but you'll need to completely support the weight of the trailer on its frame, and totally unload all of the weight on the suspension.  To safely remove the shackle you will need the spring(s) to be completely slack and loose.  I did one shackle on my fifth wheel and in addition to supporting the frame independently I needed another jack on the axle to raise/ lower it in increments to get things lined up correctly.  

Have plenty of jacks and blocking ready before you start. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

It's not a terrible project, but that stuff is heavy.  For instance, when you unbolt the shackle you can't just let the axle drop or hang off of the brake wires, so you'll need to have a jack underneath it.  I needed quite a bit of 4x4 blocking to get my other bottle jacks high enough to raise and support the frame. If you have hydraulic levelers you may be able to raise it that way, but I used two bottle jacks on cribbing. So three bottle jacks total for me as I was working on the rear shackle and only had one axle involved. Since you are working on a center support you'll need a jack for each axle.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

IF you plan to use the hydraulic leveling system, be safe and use jack stands after you get the trailer where you want it.  And if you own Harbor Freight jack stands, be advised that some have failed under weight.  If no jack stands available, can also use a cribbing method by running wood blocking in 2 directions until high enough to support the trailer should the leveling jacks fail or are deployed for some reason.

Marcel

I did it by raising and supporting the frame (on the side I was working on) high enough that the tires were off of the ground.  Then I used a  seperate bottle jack to raise the axle just enough to relieve all pressure on the shackle bolts. I think that you'll need to do both axles. Once you've found this "sweet spot" the removal and replacement of the shackle/bolts is pretty simple.  You may need to raise or lower the axles a touch to get the new bolts lined up, but the key is the have the frame supported independently so the suspension is completely unloaded. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

Just got it back from shop. $145 for the two worn straps, 2 hours, and they used the thicker, better straps without my asking.  Would have been faster but they didn't have the parts right there. They did remove both wheels on that side.  A mobile who did this 3 years ago did not.

I've found a small independent shop that gets me right in at the  appointed time,  starts work immediately, and isn't constantly interrupted by other vehicles. I tip generously for that because it's so hard to find and I'm of the opinion it helps for that kind of attention to continue to come my way.

I've ordered more straps and will carry them with me from now on.  This is possibly something I could do, I'd just prefer not to given what you've all said.

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Just got it back from shop. $145 for the two worn straps, 2 hours, and they used the thicker, better straps without my asking.  Would have been faster but they didn't have the parts right there. They did remove both wheels on that side.  A mobile who did this 3 years ago did not.

I've found a small independent shop that gets me right in at the  appointed time,  starts work immediately, and isn't constantly interrupted by other vehicles. I tip generously for that because it's so hard to find and I'm of the opinion it helps for that kind of attention to continue to come my way.

I've ordered more straps and will carry them with me from now on.  This is possibly something I could do, I'd just prefer not to given what you've all said.

It sounds like you found a good shop to do the work for a reasonable price. Good deal!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels