Hey Weight Police

Consolenut

$208 is really cheap, in Indiana  an overweight ticket can be up to $3,000.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Jim1521 said:

Guess that nerve is pretty raw.  And of course small towns don’t set up speed traps either I guess.   Sorry you got so triggered.

Most citation revenue goes back to the city, county or states general fund. That money goes to pay clerks, mechanics, medical personel, librarians, pave roads, maintain parks and offices, mow grass and many other things. That officer has no motivation to "trap" anything. When you were a burger flipper (or whatever job you had) did you go out of your way to flip more burgers so your boss could make more money? To invest in another store, knowing you would never see a dime of the money you generated? Do you honestly believe that trooper said  "yee haw, I wrote 3 tickets so the state can fix a pothole"? Well, I guess you do, judging from your narrow minded view of the job of a police officer. 

There's no raw nerve...my signature line explains it all.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

13 hours ago, Jim1521 said:

This may start a very slippery slope in many revenue-hungry states and municipalities .  I can see many of them suddenly buying portable scales for the explicit purpose of increasing revenue. @Ray,IN you yourself said only about 1/3 of all the trucks at a DRV rally we’re capable of pulling these big RVs.  It wouldn’t take much to have Sheriff Buford T. Justice tell his boys to pull over any truck that isn’t a dually with that big letter “D” on the front cap of that RV and perform a “safety inspection”. 

No I did not say that, what I said was almost 1/3 were using class 3 duallys. What I did not say was, the rest were towing with either medium-duty (4,5,or 6) or heavy duty trucks -cl 7or 8.

Enforcing the law is not a slippery slope, it's not enforcing  laws that is a slippery slope. You have no doubt heard/read of "selective enforcement" complaints.

The overweight ticket was due to rear axle weight rating. ref:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/hey-weight-police-464062.html post #30.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

When you were a burger flipper (or whatever job you had) did you go out of your way to flip more burgers so your boss could make more money? To invest in another store, knowing you would never see a dime of the money you generated? 

Yes, in fact that’s how the real world works.  You do your part so that the company does better.  “A rising tide lifts all boats” is the expression.

If you feel better with your personal insults at other people, well that’s just you.  Whatever.

Edited by Jim1521

The thing that bothers me is he left the camp grounds without checking that the lights were working. What else wasn't checked. If the lights weren't plugged doesn't that mean he had no trailer brakes?

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

22 hours ago, Consolenut said:

Stopping it is a huge part of the equation. And that is what most don't understand. 

But in passing the law the county commisioners or state congressman etc had to have an idea they could generate revenue making the law to begin with.

I agree with the first statement 100%. The second statement is more than Money.

Isn't Safety still number one in what we do or how we do it. In my working years I was questioned about my watchful eye over people but in the end was thanked for their safety.

And my D is stopped with a Class 5.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

16 hours ago, Consolenut said:

He was on his way to scales. After I told him that DRV will put him way overweight on his drive axle. He was prob overweight before in his cedar creek. I told him he needed a DRW. But there are those that have to learn the hard way. In the end 208.90 for over weight and 78 for faulty equip. Costly but not as costly as a big accident.

If he would have done proper checks on his rig to make sure he was ready to roll then most likely he would have not been stopped in the first place.....

Dam a few weeks ago I got a $237 ticket for making a left turn 23 minutes before the sign said I could (I didn't see the sign but everyone is a liar). Only $208 in Oklahoma for being overweight? It should be triple that......

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

8 minutes ago, jamtracy said:

If he would have done proper checks on his rig to make sure he was ready to roll then most likely he would have not been stopped in the first place.....

Dam a few weeks ago I got a $237 ticket for making a left turn 23 minutes before the sign said I could (I didn't see the sign but everyone is a liar). Only $208 in Oklahoma for being overweight? It should be triple that......

After reading the law a little more. I was curuios as to why so cheap. Once you go over 2000 pounds of weight violation. Im guessing weigh all the axles and add total weight violation? It becomes $125 a pound after 2000. So if you go that far over its expensive in a hurry.

In hindsight its prob good he got pulled over and fined. Its wakened him to the fact hes short on truck. And not safe for obvious reasons.

Edited by Consolenut

15 minutes ago, Consolenut said:

In hindsight its prob good he got pulled over and fined. Its wakened him to the fact hes short on truck. And not safe for obvious reasons.

This is so true. $208 is couch change compared to what a bigger tow vehicle is going to cost.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

19 hours ago, Jim1521 said:

Yes, in fact that’s how the real world works.  You do your part so that the company does better.  “A rising tide lifts all boats” is the expression.

If you feel better with your personal insults at other people, well that’s just you.  Whatever.

I didn't say don't do a good job. I asked if "you went out of your way" to do more, in response to your statement that the police are out there "trapping" people simply to generate revenue...that brings them no benefit. You can twist things however you want, it doesn't change the reality of what you said. And trust me, you have not seen a personal insult here. So quit trying to play "victim" and grow up some. 
Time to press the ignore button...See ya. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 10/4/2019 at 2:44 PM, Consolenut said:

He let him go with the fines of course. As my neighbor said he was coming straight back to the park.  And he was told to take measures to correct the problem. Because next time another officer may not allow him to move.

Consequently he said he will be going to look at a 450 or bigger. As he doesn't want this problem ever again. Im sorry but pulling a DRV suites with an f350 SRW is a big NO NO in my book.

I would agree completely about a SRW towing a DRV. I have been at one DRV rally and everyone had a 3500, 350 DRW, MDT and even a HDT. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3