SD Domicile, where do I go in SD?

Ed Mitiu

4 hours ago, Ed Mitiu said:

Have my paperwork together ready to go to SD to domicile. Still looking for info to plan trip and make reservations. 

Have you picked a mail forwarder? That's usually step one. They can then give you advice on everything else. Where you stay matters when it comes to voting and taxes, etc.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Since you are a member of Escapees RV Club, I am going to suspect that you plan to use the mail service? If so why not go to the Escapees website and download this South Dakota Domicile Guide and then follow the steps? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As others have said you first must get an address using a mail forwarding service. Escapees has a SD address you can use. There is also America’s Mail Box in Box Elder near Rapid City and several others near Souix Falls. Just go online and do a search. You can set up your mail online or on the phone. You can registure you vehicles on line, on the phone or via mail. You must go in person to get your drivers liscense and show proof on a one night stay in a hotel or campground anywhere in the State. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

To make this totally clear, here's what you need to get a SD license:

1. A contract with an SD mail forwarding service paid for 1 year (?) of service or two dated pieces of mail sent to that address.  (Undated mail, even first class, is not acceptable)
  2. A Department of Public Safety affidavit "For Resident Who Travel" that attests to the fact that you intend for SD be your domicile (you can obtain this at the licensing bureau).
  3. A receipt from an SD hotel/motel/campground for a stay of one or more days that shows the names of all parties along with the address being claimed in #1.

Take all of this to a DPS licensing office and you should be all set.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Why do you need a strong presents? All you need is an address. Escapees has the biggest presents when it come to us full timers. I use the Livingston, TX as my main address. As you get a choice of two to use when going with Escapees. I’m very happy that I switched to them.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

8 hours ago, Ed Mitiu said:

IMHO, SKP has good well priced mail service but a weak presence in SD. 

If you read up on the legal issues which can arise with domicile, the strong presence needed is not your mail service but your personal ties to the domicile. It is things like doing business there (banking, doctors, legal work, etc.) and a social presence (club memberships, church membership, newspaper subscriptions, etc.) The anount of physical structure a mail service has in the selected state is really not the issue of where you live, but the issue is whether or not you truly intend to reside there. I suggest that you read the article Where Do You Live:Domicile for Full-timers. It is also important to consider how likely you may be to have the issue arise. The fact is that the most common issue is one of state income taxes from the state you were previously domiciled in and paying taxes too. Once that has been resolved it is quite rare for a fulltimer to have such an issue arise. I did a lot of research on these issues some years back and found only a very small number of such cases. 

7 hours ago, rynosback said:

As you get a choice of two to use when going with Escapees.

There are 3 states to choose from. TX, FL, & SD. Depending on Ed's age he may be better served by selecting FL since it has the most choices for health insurance. Also, none of the mail service companies I know of in SD actually own any RV sites while Escapees do have physical sites in both TX & FL.

Alsonone of the mail service companies I know of in SD actually own any RV sites while Escapees do have physical sites in both TX & FL.

Kirk, Americas Mail Box in Box Elder, near Rapid City, does have a campground.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

If you read up on the legal issues which can arise with domicile, the strong presence needed is not your mail service but your personal ties to the domicile. It is things like doing business there (banking, doctors, legal work, etc.) and a social presence (club memberships, church membership, newspaper subscriptions, etc.) The anount of physical structure a mail service has in the selected state is really not the issue of where you live, but the issue is whether or not you truly intend to reside there. I suggest that you read the article Where Do You Live:Domicile for Full-timers. It is also important to consider how likely you may be to have the issue arise. The fact is that the most common issue is one of state income taxes from the state you were previously domiciled in and paying taxes too. Once that has been resolved it is quite rare for a fulltimer to have such an issue arise. I did a lot of research on these issues some years back and found only a very small number of such cases. 

There are 3 states to choose from. TX, FL, & SD. Depending on Ed's age he may be better served by selecting FL since it has the most choices for health insurance. Also, none of the mail service companies I know of in SD actually own any RV sites while Escapees do have physical sites in both TX & FL.

Kirk, I was not given 3 address that I could use. I have a SD and TX mailing address. I think you mean that Escapees offers three states to domicile in. I did not mention that as they were asking specifically about SD.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

31 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Kirk, I was not given 3 address that I could use. I have a SD and TX mailing address. I think you mean that Escapees offers three states to domicile in. I did not mention that as they were asking specifically about SD.

I guess I missed what you were saying...........