Towing capacity and hitch weight.

Plastik507

New to this forum and new to traveling with a 5th wheel.  had a quick question that I hope someone can answer for me.  

Am looking at a 5th wheel to purchase that has a dry weight of 10400.  I have a ram 2500 5.7L hemi with a tow capacity of 13,300 and a payload capacity a little over 4000.  1. How do I determine hitch weight?  2.  Is this cutting it close as far as towing capacity?

The weights as posted seem to be well within your trucks capacity.  However, are these actual weights and how much do you expect to load into the 5er?  Many manufacturers posted weights do not include options or may be for a base unit.  Actual weights can vary.  I also prefer to use the GVWR as many times that is closer to what the 5er may weigh when loaded.  Many suggest leaving 20% and I much prefer that.  A fully loaded truck can be a little more difficult to drive and it challenges the drive train.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Personally I think you are pushing it. Always better to have way more truck then you need. Why drive white knuckled? Once you add all of your gear to the camper and truck you will be close. What does the camper state it’s max weight is? As some do not give you much weight to carry cargo. You would be shocked how much cloths and all of your stuff weighs. Are you planning on full timing?  How far are you planning on traveling? Have you towed something this big and heavy? Where will you be towing, straight and on the planes or in the mountains (steeper grades)? 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so join in often.

I must agree with Rynosback on the weight ratings. The unloaded weight listed does not include any water, food, clothing, or personal items and so is reall of little use. There should be available weights for the maximum weight rating or GVWR of the trailer and also the tongue weight and use those in your calaculations. The best easy tool for determining your safe weights is this one from Changin Gears website. I suggest that you get it and use it as your guide. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the forum!  I agree, you are pushing that truck a little too far.  Might be ok on the flatlands, but do you plan on hill/mountain driving?  IF you decide to go this route, load up the truck, passengers/pets/gear, etc, load up the camper with what you will have with you on your travels and hit a scale.  I bet it surprises you.  My thing is, how well can a small truck stop/control that weight going down a slope or a quick stop because of some idiot pulling out in front of you?  Yes, campers have brakes, what type, can/will you adjust them every 2k miles?  Are they worn, need replaced?  I usually get yelled at for saying that, but it is what it is.  IMHO, get a bigger truck, it's worth it.

Determine pin weight after buying truck, load it up, hit scales, pull off, un-hitch truck/camper, reweigh truck again with same as with camper, ie passengers/gear/pets, etc.  Hopefully that scale can give you axle weights.  I always take 25% of camper max weight and call that my pin weight.  Am I doing that right guys/gals?

Oh, while I'm at it, what about the RV tires, worn, aged out, under-rated for that weight, china bombs?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

That is a bit much for your truck.  You need to look at the trailer GVWR and not dry weight.  Dry weight is just that,,,,no water, no propane, no personal stuff and nothing that is an option on the trailer.  To estimate your pin weight, use 20% of the trailer GVWR.

The newer truck have a sticker inside the door jamb listing the trucks payload capacity.  The payload capacity is the trailer pin weight, passengers, cargo and hitch....all added up has to be less the the payload.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, Plastik507 said:

New to this forum and new to traveling with a 5th wheel.  had a quick question that I hope someone can answer for me.  

Am looking at a 5th wheel to purchase that has a dry weight of 10400.  I have a ram 2500 5.7L hemi with a tow capacity of 13,300 and a payload capacity a little over 4000.  1. How do I determine hitch weight?  2.  Is this cutting it close as far as towing capacity?

I agree with others, I think you may be pushing it.

First of all, as stated you need to use GVWR of trailer, but let's use the dry weight of 10400#.

20% of that would be a pin weight of 2,080#

Now take another 1,000# off for you, wife, fuel, hitch, that leaves about 1,000# of payload.

Remember, this is based on a DRY trailer with no propane, water, food, clothing, gray and black tanks, I think you get the picture here. You are going to exceed payload capacity, it adds up quick!

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew-cab Long Box DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 4:10, 14,000 GVWR, 5,704 Payload, 30,300 GCWR, 21,600 Max Trailer Weight Rating.

2019 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS, 34', triple slide, 11,000GVWR.

48607101058_3a024e1185_z.jpg

Here is something else to consider. Real easy way to determine SAFE tow rating.

Take the CVWR, subtract the GVWR of the truck, and this gives you a SAFE number to stay under as far as GVWR of a trailer.

Example:

Truck has a CVWR of 27,100# Minus GVWR of truck which is 10,000# this gives you a SAFE tow rating of 17,100LBS. Stay UNDER that GVWR trailer.

Just look at the sticker usually on the left or right front of the trailer and look for the GVWR. Take 20% of that, and you will get close to pin weight to know if payload can handle, then calculate CGVW numbers and you will know what you can SAFELY tow.

Good luck!

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew-cab Long Box DRW, 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 4:10, 14,000 GVWR, 5,704 Payload, 30,300 GCWR, 21,600 Max Trailer Weight Rating.

2019 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 30RLS, 34', triple slide, 11,000GVWR.

48607101058_3a024e1185_z.jpg

This online weight calculator will be of immense help for your task:  You have two choices buy more than the  minimum truck for towing the 5er, or wish you had later.

Using any equipment at its rated capacity continually, will wear it out much faster than using it at 80% capacity.

On a different RVing fourm a man just posted yesterday about the diesel GMC Colorado he bought to tow a trailer. Twice now he had had to replace the differential, and it is still under factory warranty.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961