Converting to Residential Refrigerator

tnvolunteer

One warning is it can take 4 to 6 weeks for the residential fridge to arrive once ordered.  Many times there is no fridge in stock that will fit the cabinet, so you have to measure, do research and order.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

JC Refrigeration has conversion kits to convert your RV fridge to a standard compressor model. You just replace the cooling unit and keep the actual fridge. - https://jc-refrigeration.com/

I personally just installed a GE 15.5CF classic style freezer over fridge in my RV this past Dec and love it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

• 1 month later...

Kirk,

Saw your Teddy Roosevelt Patch - Just wanted to give you a shout out - My Dad was the First Captain on SSBN 600 Building and Commissioning it in Mare Island, Seeing your Patch brought back memories.

One of the memories was living in temporary Quarters for almost 2 years while they built it - Quonset hut - 1/2 Piece of pipe with walls inside. :) Hope your times were good on the Boat as it was a pretty big part of Our lives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Theodore_Roosevelt_(SSBN-600) - if you double click on the picture I'm one of the two kids on the front.

Just wanted to let you know i  recognize the patch and your Service,

Regards,

For the refrigerator replacement - a lot more info is required to help. I used a Samsung 18.5 - normally in stock - Went in through the side escape window - required some modification to the existing hole.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/samsung-fridge-installed-405674.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, Busskipper said:

My Dad was the First Captain on SSBN 600 Building and Commissioning it in Mare Island, Seeing your Patch brought back memories.

I was there much later as I was part of the crew that took her on the last patrol before her overhaul at Electric Boat in New London, Conn. back in 1965. I left as soon as she was in and went to the Woodrow Wilson. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

The OP hasn't been back since asking his question, but others may be benefiting from the discussion.

The original RV refrigerator in our Foretravel was 20 years old when we bought the coach, and was pretty much dead when we took our first trip. We had already decided that we would replace it with a residential refrigerator. A few minutes with a tape measure gave us the dimensions that we had to work with. A couple of evenings on the Internet got us a short list of residential refrigerators that would work. Jo Ann picked out the one she wanted, and we quickly found a source. The Lowe's in the neighboring town could have it in a week, so we started removing the original (dead) RV unit and prepping for the new one. The delivery guy damaged the new refrigerator, so a week later the new new one arrived a week later - with the manager! We've been using that apartment-size refrigerator for five years now.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS