Passed written

Vegas Teacher

Practice, practice, practice.  Early Sunday morning in the school parking lot.  A few cones or other bright objects, and maybe some brightly colored string.  Don't be afraid to take a peek out those rear side windows in the sleeper, and use your electric mirrors to keep everything within sight.

Oh, and practice some more.  All of a sudden, you'll realize you're doing it before you even think about it.

Even I can do it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

A few cones or other bright objects

Students cannot be used to stand in for the bright objects, as we know they are not.🤣

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Howdy Cory,

I have gotten pretty darn good at backing, doing it for a living many years ago helped but the trick is go slow and USE "GOAL" Get Out And Look.  You may look like a rookie but take my word for it the two trucks your trying to park between the drivers of those trucks would MUCH rather you take your time and make your park successfully then take the front end off one of the trucks or crash into the side of the other trailer on your blind side.

Mike also gave a very good tip when he talked about drawing a line and using that as a guide.  To get into my parking spot at home I have to back up a slight grade make a gradual turn to the left, straighten out and then back 150 feet down my driveway which is lined with big trees on both side, the width of the drive way is about 12 feet, oh and there is about a 8 foot drop off on the part of the driveway where I have to start to make the turn right at the top of the slight grade.

The first couple of times I did this I seriously struggled as the combination of the grade, the turn and the trees left very little clearance or things to guide on.  My drive way is crushed rock and dirt, I went down to the hardware store and bought a can of white spray paint, I used the paint to draw a line on the ground about two feet away from the edge of the drop and the trees on what is the drivers side of the driveway when I am backing it.  This made it simple, using the mirrors ( thank God for power mirrors ) all I had to do to successfully back into my parking spot was keep the trailer  close to and inside that line, doing so I didn't have to be concerned about the other side of the trailer as so long as I stayed close to and inside that line there was plenty of clearance for the other side of the trailer.

Like all things a person can read, watch videos, whatever but HANDS ON actually doing a task over and over again is the only way to really learn how to do it well.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Not offended at all, I just feel stupid sometimes asking so many questions. 

Its all good that's how we learn   life is a learning proses . I work as a journey man carpenter.  I have had guys come up to me and tell me they are master carpenters and that they new every thing there was to learn about construction. What a bunch of bull .There is something new to learn out there every day . Hang in there you will get the backing down .One little trick I have learned .when backing to the right if you have electric mirrors keep adjusting  them so you can see the back of trailer. I learned backing trailers when I was 15 backing up hay trailers into a barn . Just remember the shorter the trailer the harder they are to back up

I grew up backing pickups with bumper trailers and tractors.

backing a fifth wheel trailer is different, i was worried about taking the test.

i watched a lot of u tube videos, and passed the test from what i learned on them.

i had difficulties figuring out where the back of the trailer was during the dock maneuver, but i was shocked how nicely the truck went in the slot.  I went through the steps a lot of times in my head after watching the videos.

and the videos of pre-trips are great too, i was using the inspector’s truck, and he fussed at me because i kept pointing out stuff that was broken.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Archived