DebiMac

Medicare is sold based upon the zip code of your permanent address.  I assume this is the domicile address?  We purchased a Supplemental Plan that allows us to go to doctors anywhere.  I recently received a letter from Medicare stating... Medicare understands that you may need to live away from your home for part of the year, however you may live somewhere else for up to 12 months in a row.  In other words, the assumption is that you must return to your permanent home after that.  This doesn't exactly fit with the Full Time RVing lifestyle.  Has Escapees addressed this?  How do other full-timers on Medicare deal with this?

We’ve never had a letter like that. We spend several months in AZ each winter, so have our physicians there now and have never had it questioned.   And how would Medicare know where we are at any given time.  We have never used a physician in Livingston.  Previous physicians were in Tyler, TX.   Are you talking about your supplemental plan because Medicare itself isn’t sold.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I suspect that letter was initiated by your supplement provider, even if it came from medicare.  In my 6 yrs on medicare and a supplement based on my SD address, I've never used a doc or medical facility in SD. I get a checkup & labs twice a year, always out of state and never had any flack from anyone.

Jim

We are also Medicare users who have never had that sort of problem. We did have a primary doctor in Ft. Worth, TX while using the Livingston Escapee address and later changed to a primary doctor in Wylie, TX while still using the Livingston address. 

3 hours ago, DebiMac said:

We purchased a Supplemental Plan that allows us to go to doctors anywhere.  I recently received a letter from Medicare stating... Medicare understands that you may need to live away from your home for part of the year, however you may live somewhere else for up to 12 months in a row.

I am puzzled by this letter. Could you share more specifics of it with use like quoting it perhaps and what it is telling you that you should do? Exactly who is it from? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

DebiMac,

My name is Shawn Loring. I'm the CEO and the attorney for Escapees. I handle all advocacy matters for the club. Kirk kindly forwarded your post to me. (Thank you, Kirk.) I'm interested in knowing more about your issue. If you are comfortable sharing the details of your issue with me, please email me at sloring@escapees.com.

20 hours ago, JRP said:

I suspect that letter was initiated by your supplement provider, even if it came from medicare.  In my 6 yrs on medicare and a supplement based on my SD address, I've never used a doc or medical facility in SD. I get a checkup & labs twice a year, always out of state and never had any flack from anyone.

Sorry, folks...new to using this network and not sure I'm doing it all correctly!

Jim...JRP... would you be willing to share your agent's name and number in SD?  I know that when we sell our house and establish our new domicile, I will need to get the insurance there.

3 minutes ago, DebiMac said:

Sorry, folks...new to using this network and not sure I'm doing it all correctly!

Jim...JRP... would you be willing to share your agent's name and number in SD?  I know that when we sell our house and establish our new domicile, I will need to get the insurance there.

I would be happy to share, but I didn't need or use an agent. I signed up for Medicare and my Supplement using www.medicare.gov website. It gives you everything you need, a link to sign up online for medicare itself, which is the same for all regardless of your home state. Then for supplements you enter your new domicile zip code and it will list the supplement options available.

Jim

Just now, JRP said:

I would be happy to share, but I didn't need or use an agent. I signed up for Medicare and my Supplement using www.medicare.gov website. It gives you everything you need, a link to sign up online for medicare itself, which is the same for all regardless of your home state. Then for supplements you enter your new domicile zip code and it will list the supplement options available.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, JRP said:

Did you also purchase an RX plan?

I didn't initially since I wasn't on any prescriptions. But when they added a penalty for not having a Part D Rx plan, I went back and added one of those. I simply chose the cheapest one available in SD since I wasn't on any Rx and was only paying for that policy to avoid the penalty.

Jim

It is really important that everyone realize that just because you aren't taking medications you don't need to sign up for Medicare Part D.  If you delay there is a penalty that grows every year.   Most of the major pharmacy chains have Part D programs, as well as several other insurance companies.  If you have specific medications, look at the formulary of any program you are considering to make sure it is covered before signing up.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We have not had a problem with  Medicare  traveling all over the country or our  BC/BS insurance.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived