Questions about Dish TV

We have had Direct TV for about 9 years, since we went FT.  The first year or so was really frustrating as I learned to deal with Dir TV.  Since then it has been OK with little problems. Several years ago when we went to part time and and bought a house I moved one of the Dir TV receivers into the house and a dish on the roof and all has been good! 

However, last week we bought a new RV and it came equipped with a King TV dome for Dish RV and it cannot be converted to DirTV.  It has two Wally receivers included.  So it appears I will be switching to Dish TV for the RV and house!  I have visited the Dish TV website and learned some things, such as "dishformyrv.com" is not part of Dish TV, just an authorized reseller. 

I am interested making this transition easier then when we started Dir TV. It appears I can get it for the house and then for $7/month more add the RV.  I will need to get equipment for the house but TV seems fully equipped, I just need to activate it, but I want to do that when I am comfortable i understand all the ramifications. Maybe it would better to activate the RV first then add the home?!?! Should I buy the receivers and dish for the house or do I have to lease it!   Is it better to deal with DishTV.com or a local reseller?

Also, I am confused about how Dish TV deals with local channels, I saw some infor about USB devices for local TV??  It was not explained well.  On Dir TV I have DNS for when we are on the road and get major TV networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS) from NYC or LA!  But, some years ago Dish TV had legal problems with the DNS issue. Has that been resolved and if so how.

What I have learned is that changing service addresses frequently seems to be much easier then it was with both Dish TV and Dir TV.  But, I see on the forum that the DishTV app for changing service addresses is far from fully reliable.  I think I would prefer a DNS service so I don't have to change my service address, but that may not be option! 

So what I am trying to do right now is get educated about Dish TV so I can deal more smartly with Dish TV when I contact them! 

Appreciate your help.

Bob & BJ
On the road (part time) to ournextstop!
2019 Bounder 35P
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Oscar)

Lets start with DNS. Dish has DNS from LA only.  If you have Locals at home, you can have DNS on the Wally in the RV, only.

Today, you can DNS from DirecTV only based upon your billing address, NY or LA.

As for Locals, just like DirecTV, Dish has Locals on spot beams.  

We only care about Locals in receiving them, not where they come from.  Ergo, we only change our Service address  only when we move out of the spot beam.,  Some people want the local news so they will change their Service Address more often.

We chose not to use DNS because of the time zone for LA.

We use Dish Chat as they there is no mis-hearing on my or the CSR's part. We use a simple script:

The only benefit for purchasing receivers is of you want a month-to-month

"I am an RVer and have just moved to a new location.  I need to change my Service Address (only) to <new address> and have the Locals changed to that location. Leave the Billing Address as it is."

Have your account number and PIN ready.

The King Dome can receive DirecTV but currently only in SD.  That is changing next year and nobody is sure what or how it is happening.

The King Dome can receive all Dish programming depending on your subscription, SD and HD.

The only reason to purchase receivers is if you want to use a month-to-month plan.  There is no lease fee for receivers, but there is a port charge for each receiver whether from Dish or purchased.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We have had Dish for a couple of years, and really like the local channels option.  When the weather turns bad, or even if we just want to know what the local forecast is going to be, the best place to find out is the local network newscasts.  We are full timers, and have a Dish Outdoors account.  When I need to change our local stations, I just use the Dish app on my phone.  I don't have to chat, or tell anyone where I am. The app uses the GPS function on my phone and changes the locals to where I am.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

Mark and Dale, thanx for the info on Dish DNS info.  I know about DirTV DNS ref address. I questioned them when I signed up for it some years ago.  But, I have it from LA and NYC (and my local channels when I am home) and have not bothered to correct it with them. I thought when I changed my home address from Cen FL, which I had since I started the service, to north FL they would note the DNS but they did not.  Also, interestingly, when I changed the service address I had to go online and use the reset function on my receiver in the house.  Later when we were traveling in the RV I noted the receiver in the RV still got Cen FL channels instead of N FL!  I left it as with Cen FL i can get them in the Keys, I don't think the Keys would be in the beam for N FL!  I did check with King and the particular dome I have, Quest - I think, is only for Dish and cannot be converted to DirTV otherwise I would probably convert it and stick to DirTV.  Ref  purchase, for the rental/lease I have paid for nearly 10 years I could have bought a receiver!  But, we will see how Dish TV works and decide once I have all the info.

Thanx again for your input, it helped.

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

Chindog, thanx for your input.  I am glad to hear the app works. I have seen some posts about problems with the app. 

I appreciate your input.  Thanx, again.

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

55 minutes ago, bobsea43 said:

Chindog, thanx for your input.  I am glad to hear the app works. I have seen some posts about problems with the app. 

I appreciate your input.  Thanx, again.

Yep, the app works for some, not for others.  I have an outdoor account also, but the app doesn't allow me to change locals.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The app is only available if you own your receivers.

While the app may appear to be appealing, lets take the case of arriving in Mission Texas and finding the ABC affiliate in Harlingen TX (where the app would assign me) is in a lockout war with Dish.  Using Chat I picked my last stop in Kingsville TX which assigned me to Corpus Christi where ABC is not blocked. 

Chat works fine for me and gives me more flexibility.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

5 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The app is only available if you own your receivers.

Depends on who you ask.  It's a case of CSR roulette.  Some say you have to own your receivers, some say you have to be on "pay as you go", and others say you just have to have an outdoors account.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Depends on who you ask.  It's a case of CSR roulette.  Some say you have to own your receivers, some say you have to be on "pay as you go", and others say you just have to have an outdoors account.

Hmmm, the app works for us to change locals, but I guess that's because we meet all of the requirements. We own our Hopper2 receivers, we're on a PAYGO "Flex" account, and it's flagged as "Outdoors". As Mark said though, there are times we don't use the app to change locals because we want the locals from a different DMA than our actual current location.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dish Outdoors has nothing to do with it.  Pay-As-You-Go is a retailers definition for Dish Month-to-Month subscription.  Yes some CSRs are saying that the App is generally available but like many "wives tales" like no DVRs in RVs and CSR Roulette, are just wrong.  I have been told three times by a CSR I could use the App until I pointed out that I don't have the App because my receivers comes from Dish. 

My info comes from a Dish VP who I contacted when this first came up.  The rational for limiting the availability of the App is deep within the rules that allow the exemptions extended to RVers and truckers by the FCC satellite laws that control who can receive programming outside a Designated Marketing Area (DMA).  These are laws that affect you because the satellite companies, Dish and DirecTV, get penalized if they fail to follow the rules like a few years back when Dish lost the right to offer DNS because of poor management of the validation process.

Dish Outdoors will not be used as a sole qualifier as it has been too easy to get that indicator on your account.  Many people have that on their account without ever supplying verification of RV ownership.

Actually, Dish would prefer using the App only as it would make it impossible to request an out-of-DMA location because the App uses GPS for location proof.  But that would require the subscriber to have a smartphone  and Dish doesn't want to do that.

When this first appeared I felt slighted that, I as a full-time subscriber, did not have a feature that a part-time subscriber had.  But hindsight has proven to me that it is a feature I can do without.

The only issues I have had with using Chat was back in the first months when the old DNS went away. I forget how many years ago that was.  None since then.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

6 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

When this first appeared I felt slighted that, I as a full-time subscriber, did not have a feature that a part-time subscriber had.  But hindsight has proven to me that it is a feature I can do without.

The only issues I have had with using Chat was back in the first months when the old DNS went away. I forget how many years ago that was.  None since then.

Dale, thanks for this perspective. We are in the same boat and there have been times when I wanted to use a different set of locals.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I'll just add that Dish at no time has asked for any verification from me of RV ownership. I did set our account up by going through Dish4MyRV (Pace) years ago though. I don't know if that made a difference in how Dish set us up.

Dutch

13 hours ago, bobsea43 said:

I did check with King and the particular dome I have, Quest - I think, is only for Dish and cannot be converted to DirTV

According to this website, the King Quest dome is made for DirecTV, but can be converted to Dish by the addition of the UC1000 controller.  Because you have DNS from both coasts, if it were me, I'd check again with King and make sure this dome couldn't be reprogrammed (by the removal of the UC1000 controller?) back to DirecTV.

https://kingconnect.com/product/quest-antenna/

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Thanx, LindaH. I did call them and was told it was not convertable to Dir TV. When I made the entry above I did no go back and look at documentation so may have named the wrong Dome Model.  BUT, I will check again just to be sure.  It would be nice if you were right!

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

So, I have found there are several different models of the Quest.  LindaH's link was to m/n VQ4 100 which is compatible as she said. However, the m/n of the one on my roof is VQ4500 which is not compatible with DirTV.   

Thanx for the input.

Bob & BJ
2019 Bounder 35P

9 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Dish Outdoors has nothing to do with it.  Pay-As-You-Go is a retailers definition for Dish Month-to-Month subscription.  Yes some CSRs are saying that the App is generally available but like many "wives tales" like no DVRs in RVs and CSR Roulette, are just wrong.  I have been told three times by a CSR I could use the App until I pointed out that I don't have the App because my receivers comes from Dish. 

My info comes from a Dish VP who I contacted when this first came up.  The rational for limiting the availability of the App is deep within the rules that allow the exemptions extended to RVers and truckers by the FCC satellite laws that control who can receive programming outside a Designated Marketing Area (DMA).  These are laws that affect you because the satellite companies, Dish and DirecTV, get penalized if they fail to follow the rules like a few years back when Dish lost the right to offer DNS because of poor management of the validation process.

Dish Outdoors will not be used as a sole qualifier as it has been too easy to get that indicator on your account.  Many people have that on their account without ever supplying verification of RV ownership.

Actually, Dish would prefer using the App only as it would make it impossible to request an out-of-DMA location because the App uses GPS for location proof.  But that would require the subscriber to have a smartphone  and Dish doesn't want to do that.

I'm not disputing you.  So, what are the qualifiers for being able to use the dish app to change locals?  It has to be more than owning your own receivers because I own mine and still can't do it.  What did the VP tell you was required?

I own my receivers, I have a PAYGO account, my account is flagged as "Outdoors", and the app works fine here for changing locals. I don't know if all three elements are necessary, but that's what's working here. I've seen some say the receivers cannot be Hoppers, but my two Hoppers prove that to be incorrect.

Dutch

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

I'm not disputing you.  So, what are the qualifiers for being able to use the dish app to change locals?  It has to be more than owning your own receivers because I own mine and still can't do it.  What did the VP tell you was required?

I found this: this feature is not available for accounts with Dish Outdoors and Dish Home Equipment.

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I own my receivers, I have a PAYGO account, my account is flagged as "Outdoors", and the app works fine here for changing locals. I don't know if all three elements are necessary, but that's what's working here. I've seen some say the receivers cannot be Hoppers, but my two Hoppers prove that to be incorrect.

Pay as you Go must not be required because Big5er uses the app and doesn't have Pay as you Go...........he says on page 5 of this thread.  http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/131441-changing-dish-service-address-using-your-mydish-account/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-966043

47 minutes ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

I found this: this feature is not available for accounts with Dish Outdoors and Dish Home Equipment.

My account is Dish Outdoors and the app works great for me. I have been using it exclusively to change my locals....did it 3 times in 3 weeks. It was so easy it was almost fun. 

4 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Pay as you Go must not be required because Big5er uses the app and doesn't have Pay as you Go...........he says on page 5 of this thread.  http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/131441-changing-dish-service-address-using-your-mydish-account/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-966043

Correct. I am NOT a pay as you go account and I do own my receivers (an old VIP722k and a Wally). As I said above, my account is flagged as "Dish Outdoors". 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

18 minutes ago, Big5er said:

My account is Dish Outdoors and the app works great for me. I have been using it exclusively to change my locals....did it 3 times in 3 weeks. It was so easy it was almost fun. 

Two parts, according to Dish: not only Dish Outdoors but mobile equipment also.  Here's where I found the information: https://www.mydish.com/support/dishoutdoors

According to that webpage, you only need to have a Dish Outdoors account and no home service.  There's no mention of needing to own your receivers or Pay as you Go.

I assume my two Hoppers and a Joey would be considered "Home Equipment", but the change locals feature works fine for me anyway. Maybe it's because my original equipment was a single VIP211k when the account was set up through Dish4MyRV.

Dutch

11 hours ago, chirakawa said:

dishapp.JPG.ecc2d5e793c5ce4242347c010b8c0962.JPG

According to that webpage, you only need to have a Dish Outdoors account and no home service.  There's no mention of needing to own your receivers or Pay as you Go.

I see that we are defining "home equipment" differently.  You see it as "having equipment at home."  I've been seeing it as "having equipment designed for home and not for a RV" (like a Wally).  The reason I was told I couldn't change my locals is because I have a VIP722K - which, by the way, I sure wouldn't trade for a Wally.

Dish's position seems to if the receiver has a built-in hard drive, it's not suitable for RV use so they don't support it. "Not supported" of course, being a lot different than "won't work" as many of us know from our own experience. If "having equipment designed for home and not for a RV" is a defining requirement for the locals change feature of the app though, why does it work for me with two Hoppers on my "Outdoors" account? The Wally was not "designed for RV use" at all, it simply fills that roll for Dish by not having a built-in hard drive. There are likely many more Wally's in home use than there are in RV use.

Dutch

Archived