chest freezer

bklynmom

3 hours ago, bklynmom said:

we have a 34ft b.h. rockwood ultra light t.t. hoping to go full time in a few weeks . thinking of taking out the love seat in the b.r. and put a small chest freezer.

My main concern would be weight. That sofa is on a slide. Chest freezers tend to be heavy even before you load them. Think about each package of ground beef weighing a pound or more. Can you find out the weight of the sofa? Also where you could plug in the freezer?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:05 PM, bklynmom said:

there is a plug right next to the slide . im thinking a small one not a resendital one .the one i looked at on amazon said it weighs 70 lbs. looking at 3 or 5 cubic ft. 

I think you are talking about the chest style that you can use as a freezer or switch and use as a frig.  I have a couple buddies that have them in slide out trays in their class A storage compartments.  The ones I have looked at all run between 60 and 80 pounds and anywhere from $900 to over $1,400.  

I don't think there would be an issue with weight on your slide.  If the appliance weighed 75 pounds for example and you had 50 pounds of food in it that is still just 125 pounds of extra weight.  Take away the weight of that piece of furniture you are taking out and there really isn't much added.

We are hauling our vac-seal machine around and like buying our meat more in bulk but have been limited due to freezer space.  When we are wintering in Florida we will be weeding out some stuff to see if we can make room for one of these chests in our basement storage area.  I think as a full timer it will be beneficial for us.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 2 years later...

We have a 3 cu ft freezer in a closet in out 5er.  It and the residential refrigerator can be powered with the inverter or by electrical hookups.  We try not to use the freezer when boondocking if we expect to use the mini split but it doesn't really use a lot of power.  Our solar and batteries usually keeps up just fine if we are somewhat careful. It is in a slide.

We met a couple in AK that took the couch out of their RV and put in a large freezer in a slide.  They fill it with fish from fishing.  They said keeping it closed and powering at night keeps everything frozen on their trip home.  They had been doing it for years and had campgrounds with hookups planned out for the trip.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 10/29/2018 at 9:58 PM, FL-JOE said:

I think you are talking about the chest style that you can use as a freezer or switch and use as a frig.  I have a couple buddies that have them in slide out trays in their class A storage compartments.  The ones I have looked at all run between 60 and 80 pounds and anywhere from $900 to over $1,400.  

I don't think there would be an issue with weight on your slide.  If the appliance weighed 75 pounds for example and you had 50 pounds of food in it that is still just 125 pounds of extra weight.  Take away the weight of that piece of furniture you are taking out and there really isn't much added.

We are hauling our vac-seal machine around and like buying our meat more in bulk but have been limited due to freezer space.  When we are wintering in Florida we will be weeding out some stuff to see if we can make room for one of these chests in our basement storage area.  I think as a full timer it will be beneficial for us.

We have a Dometic brand similar to this one,  on a sliding tray in a basement compartment.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961