DirecTv service address change

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

For a few of us who've been out here a while, we're grandfathered in and get both east coast and west coast feeds. B)

We DVR just about everything so the East Coast feed is all we need.  I have little use for a feed that provides me today's network programs long after we've gone to bed! 😁

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

22 hours ago, docj said:

AFAIK Sharon is correct.  Your billing address determines east vs west; if it is in the eastern or central time zones you get the eastern feed.

As for cost, you should be aware of the fact that the $15 is in addition to the programming package you are already paying for.  I've never heard of anyone getting DNS without a programming package, also.

As far as how to get DNS you need to complete a DNS form which can be downloaded from the DirecTV website and fax or mail it back along with a copy of the registration card for your RV.  There's no way to do it online.

Thanks for info.  We will look into it.  Hope their recent changeover doesn't mess up being able to get DNS.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

Thanks for info.  We will look into it.  Hope their recent changeover doesn't mess up being able to get DNS.

This is from the DirecTV website; it includes a link to the form you need to send in.  Although you are told you have to mail the form, you can also fax it to:  800-978-2792.  The voice number to the DNS grouo is 800-561-4388

DNS for your RV, car or boat

Certain types of vehicles are eligible for DNS without requiring home address eligibility. For eligible vehicles, see item No. 11 of the FCC Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act fact sheet. Boats and other marine vessels do not qualify for this special consideration. 

Note: A separate monthly package is required to enjoy DNS in your vehicle.

To add DNS to your mobile service
Send a copy of your vehicle registration, a completed Mobile Vehicle Affidavit Declaration of Intent form, and a copy of your commercial driver's license (if requesting service for a commercial vehicle) to the address listed below.

DIRECTV
Attn: Mobile Network Services
P.O. Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155

It may take up to 14 days after receiving your paperwork to verify the information and activate your DNS programming. Your dish must be pointed to the satellite located 101 degrees West longitude at the time we activate DNS service for your system. If you are not receiving DNS programming after 14 days, make sure your dish is pointed to the correct position and then call us to request activation.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Looks like I spoke too soon about no problems.

I'm in Quartzsite having trouble getting local channels on Directv.

I spent a good 2 hours yesterday with both chat and phone, and they assure me everything is fine on their end. The problem may be on my end as I cannot get any signal on the 99(s) or 103(s) birds, which I understand are the spot beam satellites.  I really don't know if that's true.  My 'All channels' guide shows me still getting Utah (SLC) locals, which show "771- Signal loss on Satellite in 2."  I have two coax cables joined with one barrel connector, no splitters, Slimline SWM tripod-mounted dish, 101 sat is 95%.  

I've refreshed the receiver and rebooted it several times with no luck. I've tried aiming the dish to get a 99(s) signal, but I can't get a peep out of it.  Can't say I've ever had this problem where it wasn't DTV's fault because sometimes they don't put their best technicians on at night. 

16 hours ago, SWharton said:

Distant Network Service, You get the national stations(ABC,NBC,CBS,PBS,FOX and CW?) from either the west coast or the east coast.

DNS service can't be combined with a home account so it is primarily applicable to full-timers.  

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

I have two coax cables joined with one barrel connector, no splitters, Slimline SWM tripod-mounted dish, 101 sat is 95%.  

I'm having difficulty visualizing your setup.  If you have a SWM dish you would normally have only one coax coming out and going to the power inserter and receiver.  I'm not sure why you have two coax's.  Is this a setup you've previously used to get signals from the 99 and 103 satellites?  What receiver are you using?

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I've been setting up a DTV Slimline for years - long enough to know what I'm doing.    I'm using the receiver's signal meters so I know it's the correct sats.  

I just swapped out the coax to the lnb and no change.  I have a spare lnb, I could try that, but those things rarely fail.  This is so unusual - the only other time it's happened is when I left my favorites set to a previous set of locals.. my bad.  The other time was when DTV thought they were sending me locals but weren't.  

I 'think' I  should be seeing the 99s but I'm getting zip on  that one.  At least the DTV tech told me the locals are on  99.

Directory data streams are universal and the key assigned to your receiver indicates which channels to use for the Program Guide.  If the key is still for Utah, that is what you will get.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Directory data streams are universal and the key assigned to your receiver indicates which channels to use for the Program Guide.  If the key is still for Utah, that is what you will get.

Afaik, I have no control of the 'key', so does that mean DTV is still sending me Utah locals?

The key is what DirecTV says your subscription is entitled to.  There are signals on the satellite that you cannot view because you didn't subscribe to them.  Locals stations is one of those items you get entitles to or not depending on your subscription and in the case of Locals, where you are according to your Service Address.  DirecTV generates and downloads that key to your receiver.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

14 minutes ago, SWharton said:

You said you were not getting any signal on 99 or 103. That is a different problem vs. getting a local feed. You need to get a signal before you worry about what your feed is? What am I not understanding?

I am not getting any signal on 99s or 103s.  I AM getting signal on the ca and cb "sections" of those sats... whatever that means. I did have to tweak elevation a bit to get a better signal on those birds, but after that I was still not getting locals.

On chat, after much effort and time and was "assured" it would be fixed, I told the lady tech she was avoiding my question about Utah locals,  as in  "Why am I still seeing the guide information for Utah locals?", within minutes it was fixed.  I'm not sure what that question triggered, but it worked.  Like the president, they don't admit anything.

Archived