Florida to Alaska

Zoco

16 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

We started our RV experience with a series of travel trailers, then shifted to motorhomes for about 20 years and now that we are back to part-time we are also back to towing a trailer. There are advantages to any type RV and each one has its drawbacks as well. We have never owned a truck camper but did consider one at one point.  In trailers, there are advantages to a fifth wheel type because they tow more easily and are more maneuverable than travel trailers, but if I read this correctly, you are asking about travel trailers and not fifth wheel trailers.

One big advantage to towing a travel trailer is the choice of vehicle that it gives you for towing it. You could tow one with an SUV like the Ford Expedition or GM Suburban or with one of the pickup trucks. If towing with a truck it leaves you the complete bed for cargo, or you can even do as we have and put a shell on the bed for additional storage or cargo. Most drivers who have done both will agree that it takes more driving skill to maneuver with a 35' travel trailer than it does for an equivalent fifth wheel, but there are many of them out on the roads so it is reasonable to believe that you can do so as well. Another advantage of a travel trailer over a fifth wheel is the flat floor, which is a major reason that we chose one this time. Another reason we have gone back to a travel trailer is that they are lowest to the ground of the RV types and my wife has major back problems so has difficulty getting into and out of the RV. 

Shows can be a good place to buy but are seldom the absolute best. Shows do not usually have any used RVs but the dealers there sometimes can refer you to their lot based on knowledge of what they have available. At RV shows the dealers always advertise big discounts and to some degree, they are real because of the competition with other dealers at the show, but not every advertised price is as great as they try to make it appear. The positive side is that there are all sorts of makes, models, and types of RV on display so that you can compare but they will all be new RVs. 

I'm really thinking about visit this rv show. Maybe buy a new one trailer, for a trailer or 5th wheel around 7000 lbs, I should use a gas or Diesel Pickup truck? When I checked the tow capacity both are able to tow. But I saw some people saying the diesel trucks are much better. 

I took a look on F250 XLT and Dodge Ram 2500, diesel and gas models. 

thank you

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, SWharton said:

How much time are you allowing yourself for the purchase of tow vehicle and trailer? You will also need time to stock the rig with household and trailer items plus learning the systems.

I'm thinking, something around a month.

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

Many dealers will give you the "show discount" for a period of time after the show. That gives you time to think more clearly about the purchase.

Linda Sand

O yeah, you're right about the "show discount". I will take care of the information about the supposed discount. Almost all sellers try a fast sell and don't give us a chance to think about. 

Thank you for your advice. 

7 hours ago, Zoco said:

I took a look on F250 XLT and Dodge Ram 2500, diesel and gas models. 

The 2500/250 series trucks will easily tow a 7000# trailer in either gas or diesel. Diesels have much better towing performance they and they get better fuel mileage, but they also cost significantly more. Also diesel fuel costs significantly more per gallon. At this time gasoline near us is selling for $2.55/gallon while diesel costs $3.03 at the same station. A diesel truck will probably get about 14 mpg on fuel and the gasoline version more like 10 mpg.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Zoco said:

...for a trailer or 5th wheel around 7000 lbs, I should use a gas or Diesel Pickup truck?...I took a look on F250 XLT and Dodge Ram 2500, diesel and gas models...

As others have mentioned, a gas pickup would likely be fine for a 7000# trailer. The heavier the trailer the greater the need for the extra torque and horsepower of a diesel. Also be aware that a travel trailer puts about 10-15% of its GVW on the truck while a 5th wheel puts about 20-25% of its GVW on the truck. Fifth wheels are generally taller than travel trailers so present more wind resistance for the tow vehicle to overcome.

If buying a new truck, which will be covered by a warranty, the availability of dealers or authorized warranty service centers might be something that you want to consider since you plan to travel and will not likely be near the selling dealership should you need warranty service. Read the warranty carefully to see where work has to be performed.  As we have traveled around the country, it is my observation that if a town has one dealership, it will be Ford. If there are two, the second will be Chevy or GM.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, Zoco said:

...30 to 35ft long trailer...

I am not sure that you will find many trailers or 5th wheels of this length that weigh around 7000#. I know that many of the lightweight trailers have a GVWR of 7500#. Most are built for weekend/vacation use and may not hold up well with long term use. Many do not have much cargo carrying capacity. With four people, I would be looking for about 2500# of cargo capacity or more. Our previous 27' trailer had a GVWR of 7500# and a cargo capacity of a little over 2500#. Our current 32' trailer has a GVWR of 10000# and a cargo capacity of just over 3000#. The better built trailers and 5th wheels are generally heavier than those built for weekend/vacation use and may have larger holding tanks which with four people may be advantageous.

I don't know if mentioned yet/before, but if you buy a new one to full time in, your camper warranty might be void?  Trucks, you can still find a used one a couple years old with 2-3 yrs of warranty left, and can buy extended warranties from the dealers.  Pretty good drop in price from new.  Mine was 2 years old, still had 3 yrs left and had very little miles on it, like new truck.  Campers, if you take your time and look around, you can find less expensive ones for 1/5th the price of new.  I found one, used twice a year, one owner, looks like show room new.  Just saying ya don't need everything new/new big price to have a great rig.   Happy camping!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

12 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

The 2500/250 series trucks will easily tow a 7000# trailer in either gas or diesel. Diesels have much better towing performance they and they get better fuel mileage, but they also cost significantly more. Also diesel fuel costs significantly more per gallon. At this time gasoline near us is selling for $2.55/gallon while diesel costs $3.03 at the same station. A diesel truck will probably get about 14 mpg on fuel and the gasoline version more like 10 mpg.

Thank you for the advice. I believe the diesel will be a better option. 

12 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

As others have mentioned, a gas pickup would likely be fine for a 7000# trailer. The heavier the trailer the greater the need for the extra torque and horsepower of a diesel. Also be aware that a travel trailer puts about 10-15% of its GVW on the truck while a 5th wheel puts about 20-25% of its GVW on the truck. Fifth wheels are generally taller than travel trailers so present more wind resistance for the tow vehicle to overcome.

I don't have experience with trailers, I had just motorhomes. 

If buying a new truck, which will be covered by a warranty, the availability of dealers or authorized warranty service centers might be something that you want to consider since you plan to travel and will not likely be near the selling dealership should you need warranty service. Read the warranty carefully to see where work has to be performed.  As we have traveled around the country, it is my observation that if a town has one dealership, it will be Ford. If there are two, the second will be Chevy or GM.

After this explanation, I will really consider to Buy a Ford.

I am not sure that you will find many trailers or 5th wheels of this length that weigh around 7000#. I know that many of the lightweight trailers have a GVWR of 7500#. Most are built for weekend/vacation use and may not hold up well with long term use. Many do not have much cargo carrying capacity. With four people, I would be looking for about 2500# of cargo capacity or more. Our previous 27' trailer had a GVWR of 7500# and a cargo capacity of a little over 2500#. Our current 32' trailer has a GVWR of 10000# and a cargo capacity of just over 3000#. The better built trailers and 5th wheels are generally heavier than those built for weekend/vacation use and may have larger holding tanks which with four people may be advantageous.

As I mentioned before, I don't have experience with trailers, and I don't know what brands are better for a weekend or long travels.nks.

If possible, tell some brands of travel trailers to use for long trips. 

thank you

15 hours ago, SWharton said:

That is plenty of time. Just didn't want you to rush it. If you  see a TT you want at a dealer make part of the sale a tow to a cg, then you can  take your time looking for  a truck to tow it while learning its systems.

Yes, I believe it's enough time. As soon I arrived in the USA, I will start with the trailer as you advised.

thank you

10 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I don't know if mentioned yet/before, but if you buy a new one to full time in, your camper warranty might be void?  Trucks, you can still find a used one a couple years old with 2-3 yrs of warranty left, and can buy extended warranties from the dealers.  Pretty good drop in price from new.  Mine was 2 years old, still had 3 yrs left and had very little miles on it, like new truck.  Campers, if you take your time and look around, you can find less expensive ones for 1/5th the price of new.  I found one, used twice a year, one owner, looks like show room new.  Just saying ya don't need everything new/new big price to have a great rig.   Happy camping!

Yeah, I'm with you, It's not necessary all new. But to buy used trucks or trailers I need experience and time to do it. If I find a good truck or trailer used, certainly I will buy it. 

thank you

2 hours ago, Zoco said:

...I don't have experience with trailers, and I don't know what brands are better for a weekend or long travels.nks...If possible, tell some brands of travel trailers to use for long trips...

Manufacturers may offer products that range from entry level weekend/vacation use to fulltime use. I suggest looking at the materials offered by the RV Consumer Group. When you find a brand with a model that interests you, search the internet for an owner's group/forum.  Members of those groups/forums will be able to answer questions based on first hand knowledge and experience.

12 hours ago, Zoco said:

I believe the diesel will be a better option. 

It is if the budget can handle the cost.                    

11 hours ago, Zoco said:

But to buy used trucks or trailers I need experience and time to do it...................... If possible, tell some brands of travel trailers to use for long trips. 

If you plan to buy a new trailer or even a nearly new one I would tend to stay to the less expensive models and brands even though they will also be of somewhat lower quality. If you plan to buy a trailer or any RV that is new or nearly so and then only use it for less than one year and sell it again,  I think that you would be best served by minimizing the amount spent to also limit the amount that you will lose when selling it. There are very few if any new RVs that could not be lived in for 6 months or so with very little problems, other than perhaps a few warranty issues when you first get it. If you buy a used RV it would be wise to get it inspected by a professional RV inspector or by a reputable mobile RV technician to verify that it is in good condition and that everything works before you buy it. While such inspections typically cost on the order of $300/400 they can save you thousands in repairs and much frustration in your travels. 

Lower priced RVs will show wear more quickly and not be as nicely finished inside as the higher in price but they will be fully functional and the price difference is significant. It might be worth the cost if you were to join the RV Consumer Group and get the guides that they offer to rate RVs. They classify the different model lines by intended use as vacation, extended travel, snowbird, and fulltime units with each group higher in price and construction quality. While the fulltime designed RVs are nicer and will probably last longer, your trip is more of an extended travel use and I do not recommend spending enough to get the very top of the line in RVs for a short-term ownership. 

• 1 month later...

hello, I came back, now I’m in The USA. I bought a truck and a travel trailer, registered in Florida, I know the Florida transit departament doesn’t require front license plate. How it’s work when I cross to other states what require front license plates ? 
thank you

1 hour ago, Zoco said:

hello, I came back, now I’m in The USA. I bought a truck and a travel trailer, registered in Florida, I know the Florida transit departament doesn’t require front license plate. How it’s work when I cross to other states what require front license plates ? 

Other states won't care. They all accept one another's rules.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for everyone here who helped me to realize this dream, giving me tips and advices.
Just to update, we begin our trip 15 days ago in Tampa, Florida. We are going to north, we crossed Georgia, South Carolina, and right now we are in North Carolina, border with virginia, going to Washington DC. 

Hello, I’m in the Washington DC right now, and my next stop,will be New York, someone  can recommend a camping ? I tried Liberty Harbour but is no longer available for the dates. 

Thank you 

There are very few places to stay in an RV that is close to NY city. The land is much too expensive for that sort of development so they don't build them there. You will probably need to find something that is 50 miles or so outside of the city. I have heard of two places Fla-Net Campground and Mountainview Campground but both are more than 1-hour drive from the central city. 

That's a shame Liberty Harbor is booked. It's the very best place to stay with a quick ferry to the city.  Is there an opening within a few days of your original date?  Perhaps you could get another date.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived