Opioid drug refills- Help

Not yet on Medicare.  Wife takes morphine for a severe back issue.  We are with Kaiser in northern California.  We have to limit our trips to 30 days max so we can pick up her morphine at the facikity near where we live.  Morphine cant be shipped.  Doctors cant write perscriptions for mor than 30 days even if its a permanent need.  Is there anyone in the same boat as us?

We can eventually go full time but we would need to have a doctor that we could return to every 30 days.  We have been able, on occasion, get  an extended 10 day supply. 

The way things are changing regarding opioid prescriptions, it is going to be harder to even get a new prescription, much less a refill order.  It might be a better option to work with the doctor to come up with a pain killer that is not an opioid that will work as well or better and that way you can get it refilled wherever you are.  We have a friend who has had back issues for a number of years, and she is having an extremely hard time with her meds as her doctor is weaning her off the opioids even though she claims she isn't hooked on them.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! I wish that there were something helpful that I could tell you but this subject has been much discussed and many of us have researched it but have found no way around the problem. The situation is caused by federal drug laws and they do not allow a doctor to prescribe more than a 30 day supply and the prescriptions cannot be taken across state lines or refilled. I do hope that you will come back with something that we may be more helpful with. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Some pill mill Docs in my local area are in, or going, to jail. I have family addicted to opiates and have no answer except that my wife and I are very glad we refused all opiate pain prescriptions. I am fine with prescription strength Naproxin Sodium (Alleve) and for muscle spasms a 5mg Flexeril as needed. My last back surgeries were sans any pain meds because I would not take the oxycontins prescribed but did take them with me just in case. I had to stop taking my Naprosyn because 5 days before the first Cervical spine surgery, and then could not take any before the next lumbar surgery five days later and tor two days after. I flew home alone and Roger from here was my post surgery adult sitter twice for overnights.as an NSAID and is a blood thinner like aspirin.

I still had the Oxy scrip unopened with the red tape on top on my return. I turned them into the Base hospital pharmacy I use.

If at all possible you might want to talk to your docs about what to do for pain. It is likely to get harder not easier to get opiods.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

She got offthem for one monthtoreset her pain recepors.  That was in November.  She was edridden the whole ime. She has severe chronic pain in her legs and back due to neve damage.  Shes backtaking morphine ata lower does,but shes not been the same since the withdrawls.  She has no interest in much now. Shes petrified that she will have to go thru thatagain.  Last fall she was functional, now not so much.

• 3 months later...

I just saw this on NBC news last night.  Buprenorphine comes in a patch (transdermal System) form though expensive is more convenient than pill form.  As mentioned in the report not all doctors can prescribe it additional training and paperwork is required to be able to prescribe it but it has helped many people. Could be very good new for those needing an opioid replacement or assistance.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/this-opioid-addiction-treatment-helped-france-combat-its-own-epidemic-1268114499857

or FACEBOOK Format:

Belbuca:  https://www.belbuca.com/patient/  is another option, instead of a patch on the skin as mentioned earlier, it is a small film you place in your mouth on the inside of your cheek.  It dissolves in 15-30 minutes and is effective for 12 hours.   She tried the 7 day patch, but didn't like it because it made her spacey, kind of like being high on something. 

My wife uses belbuca at night and hydrocodone during the day for pain from back surgeries. 

Editorial comment:  Yes there is an opioid epidemic.  HOWEVER there are probably millions of people who have taken and are taking hydrocodone and others and they are NOT ADDICTED.  They take it to relieve their pain not to get high.    Just like some people cannot drink alcohol, because once they take a drink it is very difficult for them to stop consuming alcohol.  That doesn't mean we should outlaw alcohol, because some people are addicted to alcohol. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived