Hauling our motorcycle

Z3Driver

Heard about this idea many years ago. Today is the first time I have actually seen one for sale. Too long ago to remember the particulars, but think the guy said he was trying to get a patent on it. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It's an old idea but I was always warned they may damage the transmission because the rear wheel rotates while the transmission is in neutral which prevents the regular splash lubrication of the gears and bearings. I've been associated with many motorcycle groups and they've all come up with the same warning.

No direct experience to back that up however,

BnB 

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

NO WAY I would put my Harley behind my truck. Gravel, water from road  and continuously being out of level is questionable. I am right now looking at a Mountain Master loader.Obviously move money though.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Built a manual one years ago, [had a ramp to drive up and strapped in]. Towed a Honda Transalp many miles. In the beginning, removed chain, but after talking to guys at Honda shop, left chain on, and bike in neutral. Did check transmission case temp every time I stopped and it never got warm, so was not worried. You cannot back up at all though.

motorcycle.jpeg

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

11 hours ago, Dan Johnson said:

NO WAY I would put my Harley behind my truck. Gravel, water from road  and continuously being out of level is questionable. I am right now looking at a Mountain Master loader.Obviously move money though.

I'm a lifelong motorcycle guy. There is NO WAY I would haul a bike long distance like that. The reasons said above as well as the tire chain/belt/driveshaft wear. The only way I would use that is if I had to move a bike a short distance. Sorry, it seems like a good idea on the surface of it.

I probably towed mine 5000 miles. Honda mechanics said that in neutral , only gears turning are splash lubricated anyway, so no harm. Wear on tire and chain are probably less than riding it, because no torque on chain, and no weight of rider on bike, and what difference does being level make, engine is not running,  any difference in towing a car on a tow dolly?  Not real popular because hard to hook and unhook and impossible to back up, but good for smaller motorhomes or trailers that cannot support a hitch carrier. Had my transalp 18 years and sold it with 77000 miles on it, very few problems, but the old hondas were built pretty well. Probably no good for Harleys, but for a lighter dual purpose, like the honda, perfect.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I'm in the short distance only camp . 

I've been hauling bikes around the country for about 7 years full time and a big share of my life prior . Almost all on a trailer . More secure and less wear on the bikes ( 3 at this time ) . And , you can even back up without incident . ;) 

Goes around , comes around .

58 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I'm in the short distance only camp . 

I've been hauling bikes around the country for about 7 years full time and a big share of my life prior . Almost all on a trailer . More secure and less wear on the bikes ( 3 at this time ) . And , you can even back up without incident . ;) 

Agree, trailer or rear carrier, is probably the best bet for most cases. But in some situations, like when I  visited a friend of mine in a condo, barely enough room to park my truck camper, let alone a trailer, it filled the bill.

6 minutes ago, Tcwndsr said:

Based on my experience towing on a small trailer, your proposed set up woul beat the living crap out of the bike. I agree, maybe useful for short distance but not a long distance solution. 

I am always ready to learn, how would it beat the living crap out of the bike more than just riding it? 

1 hour ago, Tcwndsr said:

Bouncing on just the rear suspension. Any movement of the hitch and tow vehicle would be amplified to the rear suspension on the bike. 

As opposed to just riding the bike? Seems to me, because no riders weight, and a good portion of the weight on the hitch itself, there would be less movement of the rear suspension. Just moving the front of the bike up and down does not necessarily wear out the rear suspension. But I am talking about a 420 lb bike, not a 900 lb harley. As I said before, in most cases, especially heavy bikes, a trailer is the best bet.

Anyway, original poster can make up his own mind, I have posted what my actual experiences have been, and he can compare it to the  "should, might, or in theory" scenarios many others have posted. Enough said for me.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:56 AM, Z3Driver said:

Anyone us this or a similar rig for,hauling their bike?

https://theusatrailerstore.com/the-original-slick-wheelie-motorcycle-hauler/

Any concern about the trans inadvertently jumping into gear (hitting a bump or something) and causing damage? 

Some (all?) old Airhead BMWs and G1500 Gold Wings (probably the 1800s too) have small amounts of lube in their final drive housings.  The driveshaft "should" still rotate and move the lube around.  But what about the trans?  The trans output shaft will still be spinning with the driveshaft moving, but is the trans getting any lube since the engine isn't running? 

For me, it just looks too different.  If they get popular and there are no issues with a variety of bikes, that will be proof of concept.  Until then, nope.

There are bunches of cars being towed with four wheels down and transmission in neutral. It would be no different for a motorcycle.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

3 hours ago, Tom_M said:

There are bunches of cars being towed with four wheels down and transmission in neutral. It would be no different for a motorcycle.

Many motorcycles out there share their engine oil and transmission oil. I don't know how that exactly works, but I'm sure since the oil pump doesn't run when the engine isn't running, that could possibly mean the transmission isn't getting oil circulated through it if it's all sitting in the bottom of the engine oil pan?  

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

On 2/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, Lafitte said:

This intrigues me for hauling behind my 5th wheel.

Somebody try it and report on it.

I am thinking of a front mounted carrier on my front hitch. You could see it.

I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake----which I also keep handy.
2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7L CCLWB
2019 Airstream 25FB

VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Archived