WiFi and Cell Booster in combined unit

DuneElliot

Is there such a product that does both? I am looking for something that can pick up and boost low 4G signal (or even 3G maybe) and WiFi (for private spot rentals). I really don't want to have to buy two products if there is something available that can do both.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Head over to rvmobileinternet.com and the facebook group, Chris and Cherie are awesome at answering questions like this, and may already have written about a device like this on their site.  The most recent Winegard offering may be like that, I have briefly read about it but haven't paid much attention to the details.   I will say, the best devices to handle wifi and cellular are most likely not going to be a combo unit, most likely you'll get subpar performance in an all in one.

Dune, I never found such a dual purpose product BUT THAT DONT MEAN THEY ARENT MADE but likely veryyyyyyyyy expensive.

Some time ago I came across this website which answered the question WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WIFI AND CELLULAR which explains it far better then I ever could as I'm an old n rusty Electrical but NOT Electronic Engineer, give it a look.....

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-WiFi-and-cellular-connection-1

Although this is NOT an answer to your question for boosted and amplified WiFi which I can wirelessly connect my Laptop and Smart Phone as well as Tablet also I purchased an Alfa Camp Pro, what I will loosely refer to as  WiFi Extender/Repeater/Amplifier/Router which works wonders and pulls in WiFi signals farrrrrrrrrrrrrr away we can use all 3 of our devices on at the same time. WORKS GREAT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-WiFi-Camp-Pro-R36-Router-Tube-U-N-9dbi-Outdoor-Omni-Antenna-Ultimate-KIT/112354423595?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It came with a 9dbi gain antenna, but you know me, I found a larger more powerful 15 dbi and just had to have it lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-AOA-2415-2-4Ghz-15dbi-N-Female-Outdoor-Wireless-Omni-Antenna/182081581451?epid=1400142399&hash=item2a64e8718b:g:-h8AAOSwR2RZ6fkq

Sure, if they make such a dual purpose combo unit AT A REASONABLE PRICE I'm interested myself same as you, maybe the good gents here can find the answer ???

John T  Currently in Austin Texas, Florida later on  

This got me curious so I went to RVMobileinternet and checked it out closer.  Should be what you're looking for.  The current version isn't perfect though, based on their review.  There is a new version coming out soon that may address the issues with the current one.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/?s=winegard&post_type=post

9 hours ago, dartmouth01 said:

This got me curious so I went to RVMobileinternet and checked it out closer.  Should be what you're looking for.  The current version isn't perfect though, based on their review.  There is a new version coming out soon that may address the issues with the current one.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/?s=winegard&post_type=post

At retail of over $700.00, this is NOT inexpensive. Also the cellular is tied to AT&T only and can not be used for any other provider. Their pricing structure, you must by their data plan, is not very attractive. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

This is the kind of info I was looking for. I guess I will look for two separate units instead. I will only be using one at a time as if I have wireless (where I am now) I am not needing to boost 4G, and vice versa.

I am guessing the most recommended cell booster is the WeBoost as I seem to see it everywhere

Any recommendations for a wifi booster?

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, dartmouth01 said:

This got me curious...

Me too. Looks like that winegard "does" have wifi and LTE data bands, but doesn't do anything for voice... so strictly an internet appliance. Looks like you can only use AT&T pay as you go data blocks that seem rather pricey and... insult to injury... expire after 30 days.

17 minutes ago, DuneElliot said:

I am guessing the most recommended cell booster is the WeBoost as I seem to see it everywhere

Cost to performance.. yes. There are more expensive units that do perform better, but "bang for your buck" weBoost is solid.

WiFiRanger puts out some good units and have excellent customer service.

You could always poke around Technomadia's site. They are pretty much "THE" mobile internet resource around with the most up to date information all in one place.

Also depends on what you are trying to boost. If it is just a hotspot, and it has external antenna ports (ie MIMO) the best bang for the buck will be the Netgear MIMO antenna.  But if you need to boost cellular connection on devices without external ports, like tablets and phones, you'll need an amplifier like the WeBoost.  Personally, we have a WeBoost 4G-M in the truck, a 4G-X in the trailer wired to a bigger Wilson Trucker antenna attached to my rear ladder, and a Netgear MIMO antenna for the hotspot in case that works better than the WeBoosts, which it does in some situations.  We don't have a wifi booster yet, we have been almost all cellular data for the past year.  But will probably add one at some point.

Don't overlook the Maximum Signal Max Amp RV for the cell side. Ours has given us 4G/LTE signals even in places our previous WeBoost Drive 4G-M could only find a 3G signal or nothing at all. Jack Mayer's comparison tests also showed it to be a superior performer in poor conditions. On the WiFi side, our PepWave Surf Mini OTG has served our needs, although we rarely bother even trying RV park WiFi anymore.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:58 AM, DuneElliot said:

There are all sorts of WiFi Boosters to choose from, some more expensive then others DUH but what I posted above (including the added 15 dbi antenna) WORKS GREAT FOR ME

Although this is NOT an answer to your question for boosted and amplified WiFi which I can wirelessly connect my Laptop and Smart Phone as well as Tablet also I purchased an Alfa Camp Pro, what I will loosely refer to as  WiFi Extender/Repeater/Amplifier/Router which works wonders and pulls in WiFi signals farrrrrrrrrrrrrr away we can use all 3 of our devices on at the same time. WORKS GREAT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-WiFi-Camp-Pro-R36-Router-Tube-U-N-9dbi-Outdoor-Omni-Antenna-Ultimate-KIT/112354423595?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It came with a 9dbi gain antenna, but you know me, I found a larger more powerful 15 dbi and just had to have it lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-AOA-2415-2-4Ghz-15dbi-N-Female-Outdoor-Wireless-Omni-Antenna/182081581451?epid=1400142399&hash=item2a64e8718b:g:-h8AAOSwR2RZ6fkq

Hope this helps

John T

Apparently the new Winegard ConnecT 2.0 will be available mid January. I currently have the At&t Unite Explorer for unlimited Data and I have ordered the factory WIFI extender offered by Integra. I am trying to get a head start and decide what my communication arsenal will look like.

Option 1: I purchase a cellular repeater/amplifier such as the weboost Drive 4G-X RV and switch back and forth between cellular and WiFi as signal strengths dictate. 

Option 2: I wait and purchase the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 so that I have a single connection point for all my devices (2 phones, 2 iPads, tv’s. 

Any input on these options or others would be greatly appreciated.

Tom and Sandra

Olympia WA

2018 Entegra Anthem

The Pepwave BR-1 Max will handle 4G and wifi-as-wan very well. Note that it's DATA ONLY. When I can't yak on the phone directly I use a VoIP app and talk over the Pepwave. It's not inexpensive but for me it's worth the price.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

Tom & Sandra - I've also posted some under the IRV2 Entergra forum, but will respond here to your options. As you can see with the upcoming ConnecT 2.0 release, things change constantly in this arena.  

I'd suggest an option of going slow on things, get one product, use it for awhile - then choose a complementary product. 

On cellular, since you have the Unite Explore with, suggest you try the Netgear MIMO antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000450-MIMO-Antenna-Connectors/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511221161&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+mimo

This is an inexpensive way of enhancing your cellular signal and Data Down/Upload speeds.    

While 5G itself will not be prevalent for mere mortals for probably 2-3 years, I suspect that the next wave of Cellular Amp's we see come out, will have either 5G capability (Or an upgrade pass to it.). Spending money on a Cellular Amp can be expensive, so doing so now - and then perhaps in another 2-3 years, adds up fast. 

Still on Cellular Amps, if you want a relative inexpensive amp today - the WeBoost Sleek does provide amplification. And when 5G Cellular Amps roll out, the Sleek can be repurposed in a Toad for emergency usage. So not a throw away item.

You could then let the ConnecT 2.0 info come in, see if it provides LTE MIMO (Don't believe I saw that as a feature(?), which would be a minimum requirement to me for a roof top antenna supporting LTE and above. 

I noted another comment on the IRV2 thread. Which basically said while each component of the current ConnecT may not be the best available, it is an 'all in one package'. And many just don't want to be bothered with multiple installs and devices to gain higher performance. They'er fine with say 60, 70, 80 or ??% of the performance of dedicated best in breed components, with their 'all in one'. And nothing wrong with that at all.

Lot's of moving pieces between WiFi and Cellular. Cables. Antennas. 2X2 MIMO antennas. 4X4 MIMO antennas. Internal repeater antennas. Cradle antennas. Hershey bar antennas. Yagi antennas. Panel antennas. Omni antennas. Etc., etc., etc. 

And I recall a gent on a board as 4G (Not even LTE...) was taking hold over 3G. He said he'd determined he'd never 'be done' with buying and adding components for phone and wifi. He said he'd add a line item to his yearly budget, to cover 'communication's'. And in most years since he'd started to budget for this expense, he'd ended up spending a bit more then he'd expected:)! 

Technology moves forward, and it's our nature to always want the current latest and greatest:)!

Best to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

11 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Tom & Sandra - I've also posted some under the IRV2 Entergra forum, but will respond here to your options. As you can see with the upcoming ConnecT 2.0 release, things change constantly in this arena.  

I'd suggest an option of going slow on things, get one product, use it for awhile - then choose a complementary product. 

On cellular, since you have the Unite Explore with, suggest you try the Netgear MIMO antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000450-MIMO-Antenna-Connectors/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511221161&sr=8-1&keywords=netgear+mimo

This is an inexpensive way of enhancing your cellular signal and Data Down/Upload speeds.    

While 5G itself will not be prevalent for mere mortals for probably 2-3 years, I suspect that the next wave of Cellular Amp's we see come out, will have either 5G capability (Or an upgrade pass to it.). Spending money on a Cellular Amp can be expensive, so doing so now - and then perhaps in another 2-3 years, adds up fast. 

Still on Cellular Amps, if you want a relative inexpensive amp today - the WeBoost Sleek does provide amplification. And when 5G Cellular Amps roll out, the Sleek can be repurposed in a Toad for emergency usage. So not a throw away item.

You could then let the ConnecT 2.0 info come in, see if it provides LTE MIMO (Don't believe I saw that as a feature(?), which would be a minimum requirement to me for a roof top antenna supporting LTE and above. 

I noted another comment on the IRV2 thread. Which basically said while each component of the current ConnecT may not be the best available, it is an 'all in one package'. And many just don't want to be bothered with multiple installs and devices to gain higher performance. They'er fine with say 60, 70, 80 or ??% of the performance of dedicated best in breed components, with their 'all in one'. And nothing wrong with that at all.

Lot's of moving pieces between WiFi and Cellular. Cables. Antennas. 2X2 MIMO antennas. 4X4 MIMO antennas. Internal repeater antennas. Cradle antennas. Hershey bar antennas. Yagi antennas. Panel antennas. Omni antennas. Etc., etc., etc. 

And I recall a gent on a board as 4G (Not even LTE...) was taking hold over 3G. He said he'd determined he'd never 'be done' with buying and adding components for phone and wifi. He said he'd add a line item to his yearly budget, to cover 'communication's'. And in most years since he'd started to budget for this expense, he'd ended up spending a bit more then he'd expected:)! 

Technology moves forward, and it's our nature to always want the current latest and greatest:)!

Best to you,

Smitty

Thanks Smitty trying to figure this site out! This is all good info and it sounds like I am on the right track  I will wait for the ConnecT 2.0 and go with the WeBoost I think. I guess I better add a line item in my budget for this each year :-).

Tom and Sandra

Olympia WA

2018 Entegra Anthem

Archived