Fuel Treatment.. Stationary too long...

Life Quest

Long story short.. Our RV has been basically sitting for about 2 years. The last time we drove it was about 8 months ago..

We need to get it ready for travel and the first thing I'm looking at is a fuel(gas) treatment.  I'm looking at either STA-BIL or PRI-G - Any advice or suggestions?  What else do we need to do to get it ready for full time travel?

-Jim

I like Sea Foam has done some remarkable things for me at times. not a joke

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

Fuel stabilizer should have been in there two yrs ago. Pull the gas cap off and smell. If it smells like varnish. drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

34 minutes ago, Life Quest said:

I'm looking at either STA-BIL or PRI-GI - Any advice or suggestions?  What else do we need to do to get it ready for full time travel?

Most of those products are intended to use before you sit with stale gasoline in your tank. I suggest that you take the RV out for an extended drive very soon to see just how it runs. Fuel stabilizers are designed to be added to modern fuels to prevent the separation of the various additives and elements. It is too late for it to do anything for you but you may need to put some fuel system cleaner to the existing fuel. If the tank isn't completely full, it would probably help to also fill it completely up with fresh fuel, once you are sure that it does run. It probably will run a bit rough at least at first as your fuel (assuming that yours is gasoline) is probably at least partially separated. If it has, you may have to drain the tank to get usable fuel into it. A great deal will depend upon just how long it has been since you last took it "out for a spin."

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dont forget to check the tires esp the inflation.  Tires dont like to sit for a long time and they do lose pressure over time.  If they are close to 5-7 years, esp since you are in the desert, you may need to replace them.  Check the DOT date on them.  I think its the week # then the year # in the DOT bubble on the side of each tire.

If you end up being able to add fuel to the existing, not a bad idea to fill it with premium.  

Marcel

10 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Dont forget to check the tires esp the inflation.  Tires dont like to sit for a long time and they do lose pressure over time.  If they are close to 5-7 years, esp since you are in the desert, you may need to replace them.  Check the DOT date on them.  I think its the week # then the year # in the DOT bubble on the side of each tire.

If you end up being able to add fuel to the existing, not a bad idea to fill it with premium.  

This might help :

tire_age_code_DOT.png

Goes around , comes around .

Since its obviously too late for Sta Bil, my first preference (IF say the gas is very bad or stale and there's not a ton of it in the tank) would be to drain ALL the old gas and refill with fresh maybe add some HEAT in case there's any residual water in the gas along with some Sea Foam and Lucas Gas Treatment as a cleaning agent then take her on a drive. My second choice (if gas isn't all that bad or stale) would be to again add some HEAT and Sea Foam and Lucas Gas treatment and top her off with fresh gas and do the same. Perhaps change the fuel filter while you're at it and give her a fresh oil n filter change. Of course check and air the tires and all the other fluid levels.  You're probably gonna be okay.

HOWEVER one thing that can go bad if it sets long is the brake calipers can stick sooooooooooo keep an eye and nose and ear out for hot brake smell or wanting to pull to one side if a front is sticking and/or over heated wheels and drums BEEN THERE DONE THAT.......

John T

11 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Since its obviously too late for Sta Bil, my first preference would be to drain ALL the old gas and refill with fresh maybe add some HEAT in case there's any residual water in the gas along with some Sea Foam and Lucas Gas Treatment as a cleaning agent then take her on a drive. My second choice would be to again add some HEAT and Sea Foam and Lucas Gas treatment and top her off with fresh gas and do the same. Perhaps change the fuel filter while you're at it and give her a fresh oil n filter change. Of course check and air the tires and all the other fluid levels.  You're probably gonna be okay. HOWEVER one thing that can go bad if it sets long is the brake calipers can stick sooooooooooo keep an eye and nose and ear out for hot brake smell or wanting to pull to one side if a front is sticking and/or over heated wheels and drums BEEN THERE DONE THAT.......

John T

Good ideas John T and on the brakes not knowing how old this rig is ? A complete brake inspection and fluid flush may be needed. If the brake cylinders got any condensation in them they could have rust in them. Sitting still is the worst enemy a vehicle of any sort has. That includes our bodies also !

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

11 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

HOWEVER one thing that can go bad if it sets long is the brake calipers can stick sooooooooooo keep an eye and nose and ear out for hot brake smell or wanting to pull to one side if a front is sticking and/or over heated wheels and drums BEEN THERE DONE THAT.......

Me too! It might be wise to have the brakes checked and calipers lubricated when it goes in for an oil change and usual servicing. A good shop could deal with that before the fact. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.. The unit was purchased new in the spring of 2015 and has about 3,000 total miles on it.. at the very least, every 7-8 months I started it, moved it either forward or back to rotate the tires to a new position (and kept them covered in between).  I also did regular washings at about the same schedule, and regular basic maintenance (like keeping the tires a proper psi., etc.)

About 8-10 months ago was the last time it was started and I drove it about 2 miles, (around the block type thing) and it seemed to run smoothly. I definitely plan to proceed with caution, checking everything even more than a normal pre-trip would be, the first trip will be from NV to TX with a few short stops along the way.

Meanwhile, I'll go smell the gas, check out Sea Foam, check for tire dry rot, check all the fluids, etc., If the gas smells good, I'm thinking I can go fill it up and add a treatment at that time.. then drive it a few miles to mix it up a little..  I'll let everyone know how things go..

Right before we leave I'll take it in for a lube and an oil/fluid change, etc.  I'm just concerned that there's things I'll miss checking/doing before a  1,400 mile trip.. Would rather spend money now than from the side of the road. :)

-Jim

58 minutes ago, Life Quest said:

check for tire dry rot

Dont be fooled by the lack of fry rot.  With the care you have taken so far, there may be little to none.  But if the tires are old and esp since you havent driven them, the rubber conditioners havent had the chance to keep the rubber in the tires in good shape.  If they are close to 5 years old, get new tires.  Sell the ones you have on Craigslist.  People can use them for around town driving and not have an issue, but that is YOUR HOUSE and you dont want to risk bad tires spoiling your trip or causing damage to your HOUSE.

BTW-enjoy your journey.

Marcel

On 8/23/2017 at 6:51 PM, Ed ke6bnl said:

I like Sea Foam has done some remarkable things for me at times. not a joke

That is a great product that performs as advertised. I use it quarterly in all my gasoline engines because today's crappy gasoline really gums up a fuel system. Cheapest price I've found is Rural King farm store, $6.99/can.

I also use Stabil in my farm gas cans,  even our government says stored gas goes bad in 30 days without treatment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It's also important to routinely exercise your generator. Run your generator under a heavy load for at least a half hour.

There is no need to add HEAT to the gas. HEAT is just alcohol and our gas today already has too much alcohol (ethanol).

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Archived