Insurance issue - won't underwrite?

Explorer01

I've been trying to obtain auto and trailer insurance quotes for my move to a Florida domicile... I'm asking for quotes in two locations. My current policy is with State Farm, so I tried them first. One SF office said they would not underwrite somebody using a mail forwarding address (I had not told them I was using a mail forwarding address) so I asked a State Farm office in the other mail forwarding location and have not yet heard back from them - and I explained my scenario (domicile in Florida, use mail forwarding, live in trailer and/or volunteer and live in wildlife refuge or park housing.) 

I have also asked about "RV" insurance from American Adventures - it was much higher, especially for my trailer. I realize it covers more, but my situation is pretty simple. Very small trailer, regular Ford F150...

Has anybody had issues finding coverage using a mail forwarding address? I also feel uncomfortable answering questions about where I will "garage" my vehicle as I don't plan to "garage it." Am I missing something? I have entered my info into www.rverinsurance.com and never heard a word. I'm afraid to start a mail forwarding service until I know I can get insurance. But I need to know that I can get insurance to get a driver's license.

expYou should probably try some of the agencies that specialize in dealing with the RV community. Let me suggest a few:

Miller Insurance

AIS Insurance

Explorer Insurance

RV Advantage 

Foremost Insurance

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

When we fulltimed we had State Farm and used a mail forwarding address with no problems. And their add on for the trailer was almost nothing. We recently switched to Liberty (we're no longer full time) because the rates were a good 30-40% less than State Farm but don't know about the mail forwarding address. Just make sure you get a mail forwarding service that gives you a street address. Our service in OR actually said that if you had iffy situations like banks or stock brokers, just use the street address with no #... Just make sure you click that documents are sent to us via email so they don't have to mess with any but the ones that have to be mailed.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I can see why people with expensive rigs need full-timer's insurance, but I have a very inexpensive setup (Ford F150 plus 16 foot trailer, no solar or anything.) Plus I'm living in provided housing part of the year and just store it on site (wildlife refuges.) 

Perhaps I'm missing something?

8 hours ago, Explorer01 said:

What is missing is the personal liability insurance, which typically comes with a home owner's insurance policy. In addition, most standard RV insurance has a limit on the amount of time one can spend in the RV and still be covered. Those policies are based upon the most common use where people use the RV on weekends and vacation trips, but live most of the time in a stick home of some type. Make very sure that what insurance you buy will pay if they know that the RV is your only home. 

8 hours ago, Explorer01 said:

I can see why people with expensive rigs need full-timer's insurance, but I have a very inexpensive setup (Ford F150 plus 16 foot trailer, no solar or anything.) Plus I'm living in provided housing part of the year and just store it on site (wildlife refuges.) 

To the insurance companies, you would appear to be a fulltimer (since you aren't a homeowner or renter).  The provided housing sounds like a workamper arrangement, which likely doesn't satisfy the "renter" description.  Just look for fulltimer insurance.

Does insurance typically cost more when you have to insure both a trailer and the truck that is pulling it vs a self contained unit like my Class C (or your Class As)? First blush says the answer should be yes, but second blush reminds me that I am also no longer insuring a house, and that this is now both my house and my vehicle, whether I tow my Tow-yota (see what I did there?) or not.

We insure both the motorhome and the car (toad), as do most people who fulltime in a motorhome.  And both are less than what JUST the insurance on the S&B we had cost us, not to mention 2 cars and the Class C we had at that time.  And since everyone's driving record and credit scores are different, you really can't go by what it costs other people, but rather get 3-4 quotes for your situation.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks Barb.  Good point that driving record and credit enter into it. I know what I pay now for the Class C as it sits in my driveway during my RV education, and my old car (liability only), as well as my homeowner's insurance. What I have to continue reading up on is how to talk to the insurance companies who seem to have very different scales when you hobby RV or full time RV. I know the thing is not to actually lie to them, but sometimes if they don't ask questions, you don't have to give answers. The whole thing about domicile that I inquired about in earlier days was a tangent point of the insurance discussion. 7-10 pieces of mail per year is not my concern. Where and how I insure is. Like does towing a car as much as driving it affect the insurance rates, since I am not likely to hit anything with the car while it is tow.  With short moves being the game plan, 50-75 miles per move every other day or so, that car won't be driven as a worker drives in his commute. But, I have no clue how the insurance company would view that, if it is even a consideration. That is where the RV inexperience comes into play.

A lot of insurance companies will not write fulltimer insurance on a MH unless there is a secondary car - - they don't want the MH as the daily driver.   Makes sense if you think about it.  Fender bender in a shopping parking lot on a small car versus a MH sort of thing.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, eddie1261 said:

I know the thing is not to actually lie to them, but sometimes if they don't ask questions, you don't have to give answers. 

That's called lying by omission (you know, that whole "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" bit) and it seems to me that's a good way to give the insurance company deniability of any of your claims. Why bother getting insurance at all if it's not going to cover you anyway?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

A lot of insurance companies will not write fulltimer insurance on a MH unless there is a secondary car - - they don't want the MH as the daily driver.   Makes sense if you think about it.  Fender bender in a shopping parking lot on a small car versus a MH sort of thing.

Never once did that occur to me. Makes perfect sense.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:10 AM, theeyres said:

When we fulltimed we had State Farm and used a mail forwarding address with no problems. And their add on for the trailer was almost nothing. We recently switched to Liberty (we're no longer full time) because the rates were a good 30-40% less than State Farm but don't know about the mail forwarding address. Just make sure you get a mail forwarding service that gives you a street address. Our service in OR actually said that if you had iffy situations like banks or stock brokers, just use the street address with no #... Just make sure you click that documents are sent to us via email so they don't have to mess with any but the ones that have to be mailed.

I wish you luck with them.  I switched to Liberty Mutual from USAA.  As they were 30% lower for the same coverage.  Every year they raised our rates.  We had no tickets or claims either.  Then the third year came and I left them.  Personally, I think they gave me a teaser rate to get me to switch, knowing all along that it was going to go up every year.  Most people do not shop there rates, but I do.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

12 minutes ago, Gina3 said:

Soooo, I already have insurance on my trailer but am not yet full timing.  Do I need to tell my insurance agency when I start full timing? 

Yes, The standard RV insurance does not usually cover living in the RV all of the time and insurance designed for the full-time RVer also has several coverages such as liability that your standard policy does not have. I suggest that you contact one of these agencies, which specializes in insurance for the fulltimer RV owner. 

Miller Insurance Agency

AIS insurance agency

RV Advantage

Foremost Insurance

Archived