DirecTV antenna not connecting to satellite.

Anyone have the proper emoji for "aaarrrghhhh"?  Failing that, let's talk about the issue.   We originally had our DirecTV hookup installed at a Camping World in California.   But it didn't work as we expected.   No DVR  capabilities - so I called Winegard and bought a receiver with DVR - that didn't work because we had the wrong kind of antenna.   We made it to Texas and a different Camping World where we learned the bitter truth - the antenna (the G2) doesn't work with DVR; we needed to replace that.   A number of calls later, we got credit for somethings, got the new antenna and the DVR and other receivers hooked up and were watching in HD and recording.   

Of couse, we traveled.   To the Dallas area.  Actually a sister park to the one in New Braunfels.    Parked under a tree but where the antenna still had plenty of room.   But it couldn't find a satellite.  It never seemed to point in the direction other peoples' dishes did.   Gave error messages on the TV.  Tried again today.   (Natcherly this happens on a weekend, right?).    I think it's the proximity to the tree - but I'm asking for any assistance you might have in the meantime.  Until Winegard answers their email.  Or maybe I call DirecTV.  

Thanks in advance,

Richard

What error messages are you getting??? Are you sure you are clear of the trees? Have you tried moving your rig? A good app we have used is Dishpointer Pro. It uses your camera and shows you where the satellites are and you can see if you have a clear view. 

Make sure everything is turned on and not accidentally unplugged. If that checks out and it still says searching move your rig or, if you have it, pull out your tripod system. The one problem with the auto satellites is trees, many of us have a tripod as a backup system. We used a tripod for 16 years before we finally bought an automated rooftop system at a rally..................

Well, we're fully and solidly installed, so no tripod.  And, for now, not Game of Thrones or Last Week Tonight.   After 20 minutes of searching, we still hadn't connected to a satellite and I'm inclined to think it's the tree we are next to.   DirecTV said "contact Winegard" and they don't have support on Sundays.   I may have to rethink our whole "move on Saturday" - it wasn't done consciously at first, but had become a habit - and I probably need to break it   Thanks for your support.   Will update here when I have more.

We move on Mondays, love the quiet Sunday evenings after the Weekenders go home.  You need to also have a tripod/dish, it is just a given that you will need to be able go out 75 ft or so at times to find satellite.  Use apps on phone to know what your site offers before setting up.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

21 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We move on Mondays, love the quiet Sunday evenings after the Weekenders go home.  You need to also have a tripod/dish, it is just a given that you will need to be able go out 75 ft or so at times to find satellite.  Use apps on phone to know what your site offers before setting up.  

X2 about moving on Mondays. Let the weekenders drive on Sunday. I'll drive while they are all at work.

Same about having a portable backup dish of some sort. 

Barb, what apps do you use?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

16 minutes ago, Big5er said:

X2 about moving on Mondays. Let the weekenders drive on Sunday. I'll drive while they are all at work.

Same about having a portable backup dish of some sort. 

Barb, what apps do you use?

I'm using Dish Align on my iPhone.  Put in which satelitte(s) you are looking for, the equipment you have and you get a overview of where you are and where you need to point.  Has a built-in compass that you use to align on where the best signal should be, then check another part of the program to get the up angle to use, etc.   Works for us,

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I believe error "775" means the receiver is not communicating with the satellite dish, and not that the satellite dish is not "seeing" the satellites, as that error code is "771".  775 usually means that is a lost connection between the receiver and the satellite dish.  With a SWM receiver, make sure the power inserter is the correct one, wired correctly, and that it has power.

Also, even though I doubt you have moved out of the spot beam for local stations, try tuning to a channel higher than 200.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

The explanation from Winegard was that the dish needed to point straight up on start, emit a signal and then rotate to the satellite.  And trees are anathema to the whole deal.   Since we are under one and appreciate the shade, I'm going to stop attempting to get tv unti our next leg.   Game of Thrones and Last Week Tonight will have repeats all week.   I can survive!   Thanks to all for help.

Well we have a Dish version of the Trav'ler and have locked onto the satellites sitting under a tree.  The branches barely cleared the dish on the initial startup when it points almost vertical.  And we have a Hybrid LNBF which males satellite seeking harder.  It took a long time, like 40 minutes .

I do carry a ground tripod and have the equipment for aiming. One piece is an Align-A-Site which has a periscope viewer to see what obstacles we are dealing with.  That told me that the dish would be shooting under the tree limbs.

So having trees doesn't necessary negate getting a satellite lock.  I assume the the DirecTV Trav'ler works a lot like the Dish version.  The aiming of the dish is done with logic in the base of the dish using the LNBF for signals.  The signals going to the receiver are a separate function.  I.e. the dish can be aimed but the signals for the receiver may not be okay.  There could be issues with the SWM multiplexing which the Trav'ler doesn't use.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, Barbaraok said:

Totally agree. But the important thing here you may be missing- please- for your own good- stay away from Camping World if at all possible!

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

8 hours ago, tdst51 said:

Totally agree. But the important thing here you may be missing- please- for your own good- stay away from Camping World if at all possible!

Marcus Lemonis of Camping World says, spend your money somewhere else if you like a certain person.
I won't say the name of that person. Only that he lives in a White House. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

On 8/7/2017 at 2:26 PM, pjstough said:

I believe error "775" means the receiver is not communicating with the satellite dish, and not that the satellite dish is not "seeing" the satellites, as that error code is "771".  775 usually means that is a lost connection between the receiver and the satellite dish.  With a SWM receiver, make sure the power inserter is the correct one, wired correctly, and that it has power.

Also, even though I doubt you have moved out of the spot beam for local stations, try tuning to a channel higher than 200.

If I recall correctly, the Trav'ler controller doesn't deliver the sat signal to the receiver until it has found the sats. If that's the case, then the 775 would seem to be the correct receiver error code for Richard's situation.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The Controller and the logic in the base of the Trav'ler position the dish.  The Controller has nothing to do with  signals out to the receivers.  The issue must be related to the SWM logic.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

9 hours ago, tdst51 said:

Have to disagree.  We had Camping World install the Trav'ler on our Bounder and couldn't be happier with the quality of the install.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

8 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The Controller and the logic in the base of the Trav'ler position the dish.  The Controller has nothing to do with  signals out to the receivers.  The issue must be related to the SWM logic.

Ok, I could be recalling it wrong. Bill Adams posted one time that the Trav'ler controller powers the LNB during the search routine, and then turns it over to the DTV power inserter on completetion. That would seem to indicate the signal would also not be fed to the receiver until that point since it's on the same wire, but I could be wrong in thinking that of course.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks to all who've replied.   Once again, moving resolved some problems and gave us new ones.   Bottom line is that it is much more a hands-on system than I envisioned.   No automatic change the time zone; no automatic change of local address.  I suspect we are a couple of - digital - generations before mobile TV is as intuitive as our smartphones.    I've been deep into menus to find out where to change time zone and where to input location (by zip code).   Probably have more to learn.   

As for the comments about Camping World, I've now been to my 3rd one.    This time it was "in and out" and I had what I needed (a replacement for an icemaker that died after 2 weekws.) once it was stocked.   I've posted on FB in a couple of groups about my other run-ins with them.   In theory, a national chain for RV's is great - but in execution it's truly hit or miss.   Where ever possible, now, I am looking for local support.  

1 hour ago, ndeavour said:

Thanks to all who've replied.   Once again, moving resolved some problems and gave us new ones.   Bottom line is that it is much more a hands-on system than I envisioned.   No automatic change the time zone; no automatic change of local address.  I suspect we are a couple of - digital - generations before mobile TV is as intuitive as our smartphones.    I've been deep into menus to find out where to change time zone and where to input location (by zip code).   Probably have more to learn.   

First of all, this was not designed to be "mobile TV".  It was designed to give customers an alternative to cable TV or to bring such quality TV to those who have no cable available.  I think it's great that the industry accommodates us RV'ers as well as they do.

Your time zone is reliant upon your service address.  Your service address must be changed by you each time you move to another locals area.  Federal law prohibits you from receiving local channels from an area in which you are not located, so they can't just automate the "move" for your convenience.

The Direct TV receiver does not transmit information to Direct TV, it is a receiver only.  So, there's no way it can furnish Direct TV with your new location.  Smartphones use two way communication.

You have more to learn.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

49 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

First of all, this was not designed to be "mobile TV".  It was designed to give customers an alternative to cable TV or to bring such quality TV to those who have no cable available.  I think it's great that the industry accommodates us RV'ers as well as they do.

Your time zone is reliant upon your service address.  Your service address must be changed by you each time you move to another locals area.  Federal law prohibits you from receiving local channels from an area in which you are not located, so they can't just automate the "move" for your convenience.

The Direct TV receiver does not transmit information to Direct TV, it is a receiver only.  So, there's no way it can furnish Direct TV with your new location.  Smartphones use two way communication.

You have more to learn.

It is easy to reset time zone, has nothing to do with service address.  Press menu, go to the set-up page, select display and move over to time zone and choose what you need. 

No your service address doesn't have to be changed each time you move unless you want locals.  I don't really care about the locals, I use OTA if I really need those, but usually don't.  Can set Weather Channel for local weather, that's all we need. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

45 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

It is easy to reset time zone, has nothing to do with service address.  Press menu, go to the set-up page, select display and move over to time zone and choose what you need. 

No your service address doesn't have to be changed each time you move unless you want locals.  I don't really care about the locals, I use OTA if I really need those, but usually don't.  Can set Weather Channel for local weather, that's all we need. 

My bad.  I was saying Direct TV but thinking DISH. 

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

On 8/7/2017 at 2:41 AM, Barbaraok said:

Can't agree with you more.

Archived