Mobley vs. Jetpack

Lordy Lordy Lordy!

I just called again and got the same song I got before. So then DH called at the same time I was, on his phone and got a different story. He got.......yes you can add it to your current account and nothing will change on your current account. We said we will pay for the unit outright. He said ok, we will just add the $99.99 to your next bill and then the following month will start the $20 for the 22gb/unlimited. Great, do it. So 10 mins into him doing it...BOOM! He says, oh no....my screen is telling me the units are no longer available. So I ask, will they get them back in stock soon? He says, let me ask supervisor. comes back and says...no date given to us if or when they will come back. You will have to hunt around to see if they are in any stores.

Ok, so either back to square one or just not meant to have one! lol

He tried to get me to take one of the other two they have. One was $119.99 and can also charge your phone. Gets 22 hours of battery. I said but the mobley is powered by the car and is only $99.99. He said, well if you want this one and are willing to pay up front for it, I know I can get my supervisor to give it to you for the same $99.99 and the same $20 a month. I said I have to think about it, He said can I call you tomorrow evening to see if you decided or maybe in the meantime you will find a Mobley. I said sure.

The only reason I wanted this was so that when I am using hotspot it doesn't interrupt my hotspot when the phone rings in the RV and in the car. But not life threatening I guess if I don't get one. Just a nice perk to have.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Dejae said:

All of you are saying that your Mobley is separate from your phone plan but what kind of plan do you have with your phones? Unlimited also?

Our phones (and Jetpack) are through Verizon.  We have the Mobley on a separate AT&T account, no phones with AT&T.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Dejae said:

I asked him that last night, if I could just do a separate account, he said yes but it would cost me like $75 plus to have just a Mobley acct.

The first month was $75 for the initiation of the account, etc.  Just got our August bill for $20 for the month.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Dejae said:

Lordy Lordy Lordy!

Ok, so either back to square one or just not meant to have one! lol

The story your husband got was right on track. They are just temporarily out of stock. You can purchase one (for a premium price) on eBay which gets into REDICULOUS pricing ($225++), or just wait it out. They usually get more in within 3-6weeks. If you're looking to buy from a 3rd party, in addition to searching for "ZTE Mobley" you can also search for "VM6200". The only difference being one is the "generic" device packaging and the "mobley" is ATT's retail packaging. Both work exactly the same.

The "other device" they were trying to sale you is NOT the same animal and will not provide a stand alone hotspot. It's an auto monitoring diagnostic device that will send wireless data/alarts to your cell, roadside assistance, etc. but doesn't provide internet access. 

27 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

The first month was $75 for the initiation of the account...

I'm assuming that was for the 2-year contract plan ($45 device activation + account setup), right?

Buying outright it's just a flat $99.99 (no activation fee and the account setup is waived) then $20 (+taxes) a month there after. 

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Are you saying that you tend to loose things ??? :rolleyes:

Of course. I live in less than 400 sq ft and have the perfect place to put things - - that I can never remember until after I have purchased a replacement!  :D

Actually, I was thinking more of having the plan stay around for 2 yrs

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Of course. I live in less than 400 sq ft and have the perfect place to put things - - that I can never remember until after I have purchased a replacement!  :D

Actually, I was thinking more of having the plan stay around for 2 yrs

Yeah , I kinda figured ... 

I think it says , in the fine print , that they reserve the right to change things however and whenever they want . But , I may be wrong . Hopefully they don't mess with the plan , ever . 

And , isn't it a true wonder that we often find things we've lost right in the last place we left them ? ;) 

Goes around , comes around .

An FYI - FWIW......

I have a Mobley, it does everything it's supposed to do.  I cancelled my S&B internet via the cable company which was $63. per month.  AT&T is $22. (with taxes).

As you may have seen, some Mobley users have purchased a second device.  Got to thinking, if it dies - I'm back to Plan B - whatever that might be. Maybe I need a second one also!?

Sooo - on to the point of this post.  Went on AT&T site - none available. Clicked 'Chat' and exchanged Q and A with "Steve".  He didn't know if or when they would be in stock again.  He checked the AT&T stores, and said a store close to me (used it previously) had *one*.  He didn't have any info on availability at Best Buy (got my first one there).

Went to the AT&T store next day (Sat. 8-5), and after bringing them (the sales guy and mgr) up to speed on "what it is", and this store activated my first one.....they searched their inventory/stock and did not have one.  Asked them to see if the $20. plan was still available.  That required some help on my part ("go to the bottom of your plans list") - the answer was "yes".

OK off to Best Buy.  Bottom line (after same routine - explaining what it is - and, yes you did carry them, purchased it at *this* store) - the answer was "No" - can't find any reference to that item.  On checking Best Buy's web site, it indicates BB no longer carries that item.

Bottom line - keep checking AT&T.  *If* they re-stock -or you consider purchasing from some other source- make sure $20 plan is still available.

18 hours ago, Yarome said:

The "other device" they were trying to sale you is NOT the same animal and will not provide a stand alone hotspot. It's an auto monitoring diagnostic device that will send wireless data/alarts to your cell, roadside assistance, etc. but doesn't provide internet access. 

I wrote this out but then for some reason it didn't want to send so I am not going to get to detailed again.

The other device was not the diagnostic device. It is the Unite Explore, which when he called me back to day...I took it for the $99.99 he offered me it for. Because the reason I wanted something and was going for the Mobley was it was cheap enough all around. Well he matched it with this unit, which is fine. I have been wanting to find a router for the Motorhome to network all the units we have in here. Tablet, Laptops, Wireless Printer, Kindles etc. So that you don't have to activate each one as you need to use it. When the Unite Explore is activated, it would activate the router which in turn activates all the units that are wirelessly connected to the router. Someone recommended a unit called GO but I have got alot of info on it...so I am still doing my research. The Unite Explore will arrive in a week but because I am not sure of a router yet, no big hurry. I will always keep for the $20 a month, my 30gb/unlimited rollover on my phone as it is worth it and good back up. Plus that is what I use when I am in the car...but it is rare I need hotspot in the car.

Blessed Travels,
Judi, John, Peanut and DeJae' (Our baby girl DeJae passed 7/21/2019)

2 hours ago, Dejae said:

The other device was not the diagnostic device. It is the Unite Explore...

John, did they offer you the Unite with the same $20 unlimited data plan as the Mobley Connected Car setup?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just now, Yarome said:

In the "fine print" for the unite it says, "DataConnect or Mobile Share plan required".

I'm aware of that, Yarome, I'm just curious what was offered for a data plan in John's case, since they seemed to be offering the Unite as a substitute for the Mobley.

Dutch

1 minute ago, Yarome said:

Per ATT:

• DataConnect: 5GB - $50
  • Mobile Share plans: Starts at 4GB - $30 on up to 50GB - $335 + $10 per device fee.

But what specifically did they offer John?

Dutch

On 8/4/2017 at 7:23 PM, jc2 said:

This is another example of cs on the left side of the office not knowing what the right side is doing.  Regardless, I will stay with my Verizon jetpack as my past experience with AT&T's coverage/reliability has not been good.

I guess it all depends on where you are.  Verizon and AT&T so far have both been good in our last 12 stops.  AT&T right now is 4 bars and my Verizon is on 1x.  But for $20 a month you can not beat it.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

From my understanding the Mobley has to plug into the OBD port in your vehicle. The Excite has it's own battery and can be charged off of any USB charger or computer with an USB port. It is a stand-alone device, doesn't require a vehicle. It also can accept an external antenna(1 or 2). I use ATT for my cell phone, it has 22GB of unlimited data and after that it "may" be slowed down. It is also a "hot spot". My wife has the same thing on her phone, it's $20/mo. I have the Unite and it has the same plan for $20/mo. Between the 3 I have 66GB of unlimited speed (limited only by usage on the cell(s) at the time). If they are not busy I've seen 40MB download in the metro areas, out in the country usually 10-15. I have had 2 laptops and a tablet connected to the Unite and it didn't care.

57 minutes ago, avvidclif said:

From my understanding the Mobley has to plug into the OBD port in your vehicle. 

Not especially. As many (if not the majorty) do around here... I never use mine in my auto OBD port. I use a USB to OBD power adapter. From there I can plug into any 5v USB source directly, use a 120v wall adapter or plug into my USB power pack to stuff in my pocket and take it along with me. Some use them almost exclusively in their stick & brick homes as their primary internet source.

From your post... to see if I understand you correctly... you are saying you have 2 ATT cellular phones and a unite. Each with individual unlimited data (22gb priority then subject to deprioritization), including full unlimited hotspot usage on your phones, for $20 a month each? No line acces fees... just $60 (+taxes I would assume) a month?

Or am I reading that wrong?

usbcbl.jpg

9 minutes ago, avvidclif said:

The Unite and extra phone are $20 ea/mo. My "main" phone is $115 IIRC. Can you plug an external antenna into the mobely?

I'm just guessing, but it's possible what you have is a single "unlimited plan" that you have added 2 additional devices to for the $20 ea/mo for line service, but all three devices are sharing the same data plan. 22gb/month and then subject to deprioritization.. not 3 seperate plans @22gb/mo.

If you're never in an area where your signal is severly downgraded.. it hardly matters.

An external antenna with the mobley? Out of the box.. no. There IS an antenna jack on the control board though that some folks have drilled a hole through the case to gain acess to. There is a thread on it here.

My option... I have a weBoost to increase the range and signal strength of my Mobley when needed. 

Archived