Dually?

curlydoc

Keep in mind this could be considered double/triple towing depending on state law. [/]

It sounds like the majority of jurisdictions treat them as a steerable tag axle not double tow becaus there is no lateral pivot motion between the unit and tow vehicle so it is not considered a trailer.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like the majority of jurisdictions treat them as a steerable tag axle not double tow becaus there is no lateral pivot motion between the unit and tow vehicle so it is not considered a trailer.

Where did you get your info that the majority of jurisdictions treat them as a tag axle? Do you have a link?

Some people think the Idaho Tote is not a separate trailer. I know for a fact Florida considers the Tote a separate trailer.

So it's a converter dolly that behaves like a booster. Interesting idea but a lot of lateral stress on the rear of the pickup frame.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Where did you get your info that the majority of jurisdictions treat them as a tag axle? Do you have a link?

Some people think the Idaho Tote is not a separate trailer. I know for a fact Florida considers the Tote a separate trailer.

The Automated Safety Hitch website talks about DOT approval as a drop axle in all US states.

So it's a converter dolly that behaves like a booster. Interesting idea but a lot of lateral stress on the rear of the pickup frame.

Geo

That would be a good description George. Both units steer so the the hitch point swings away from the inside of the turn but the wheels self steer. The Auto hitch releases the lock by use of the turn signal, the Tow All is driver controlled release by a switch or remote. I would say if the tow vehicle has a turn radius less than the wheel cut of the dolly it will impart side load if the dolly wheels are skidding in a tight corner.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The Automated Safety Hitch website talks about DOT approval as a drop axle in all US states.

From the web page;

• Does your system conform to Canadian and USDOT Certifications?

Yes! The Automated Safety Hitch System is USDOT certified, and is in the certification process in the Canadian provinces. Quebec province considers the Automated Safety Hitch System as part of the trailer, and all remaining provinces consider the Automated Safety Hitch System as part of the truck.

That is all it says. No mention of whether or not it is considered double towing.

Think I'll contact the state agency that told me swivelwheel trailers are double towing under Fla law. If this is legal in Fla, it certainly would be cheaper than an HDT. I could fit a RZR in the bed of my truck.

• 2 months later...

Today for the third year now I have hauled my fifth wheel camper with a swivel trailer attached across the top of Florida on I-10 (Mobile, Al to Jacksonville, FL). I passed many Florida LEO's and open weigh stations and once again no issues. In fact in 3 years now all over the US up the East coast and up and down CA, I have never been stopped or questioned about being a double tow. I mount the fifth wheel licenses plate on back of the swivel trailer and treat it as one trailer. I use the swivel trailer to haul a motorcycle, was a Goldwing 1800, now a VTX1300.

Greg

Lots of out of state people do it. Doesn't make it legal and it only takes one LEO who knows it is illegal to ruin your day.

So help me understand this, of all the LEO's I have been exposed to none of them knows I am illegal, except of course you. If they do believe I am illegal, every LEO has turned a blind eye to me?? When I talked to Mastercraft (builder) they knew of no case of a ticket or warning being issued for towing a swivel trailer behind a fifth wheel. All I can say is, it works for me.

Greg

So help me understand this, of all the LEO's I have been exposed to none of them knows I am illegal, except of course you. If they do believe I am illegal, every LEO has turned a blind eye to me?? When I talked to Mastercraft (builder) they knew of no case of a ticket or warning being issued for towing a swivel trailer behind a fifth wheel. All I can say is, it works for me.

Greg

I'm glad it works for you. Of course, the final decider would be a judge in traffic court. I am not willing to take that chance. You obviously are. When I queried FHP via my state representative's office, this is what I got from Lt Col Thompson of the FHP;

The variable is that this company appears to be manufacturing a rigid trailer with no articulation point. On the manufacturer's website, they point out only 22 states allow this type of trailer as an extension, but they identify that their position is that the device is an extension of the original trailer, not a trailer in itself. The manufacturer lists Florida as a state that recognizes the device as a trailer which cannot be used as a third vehicle. Florida statute leans toward this device being a trailer, but I didn't find anything that specifically defines this type of device with a rigid coupling device. Subsequently, as a trailer, this vehicle would not be authorized to operate in a truck-trailer-trailer combination pursuant to FSS 316.515.

I have a 03 ford f350 super duty dually 28th a 7.3 and banks setup.it has a 30,000# frame mount goose neck reverseaball hitch.it a 4x4 crew cab.I bought a 98 Alfa 39ft. Fith wheel trailer that has a g.v.a.r.of 17,999 a u.v.a.of 12,540 and a n.c.c of 5,459.is tho going to be two much for my truck? The person I bought the truck from had a three quarter ton single rear wheel pick up he used for years towing it so I did think it would be an issue.was I wrong.Havnt tow it but a few miles at this point.

I have a 03 ford f350 super duty dually 28th a 7.3 and banks setup.it has a 30,000# frame mount goose neck reverseaball hitch.it a 4x4 crew cab.I bought a 98 Alfa 39ft. Fith wheel trailer that has a g.v.a.r.of 17,999 a u.v.w.of 12,540 and a n.c.c of 5,459.is tho going to be two much for my truck? The person I bought the truck from had a three quarter ton single rear wheel pick up he used for years towing it so I did think it would be an issue.was I wrong.Havnt tow it but a few miles at this point.Sorry for the post errors..this phone has a mind of it's own

Lance, according to this Ford towing guide the maximum 5th wheel weight is just over 14000#. You need to look at what your GCVWR is for your truck, get the truck and trailer weighed to see if it exceeds your rating. Your crew cab 4x4 has probably the least trailer capacity due to the weight of the truck.

Hopefully the link works.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2003_All.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj6s8ucmpTKAhWH7B4KHcvhCxUQFggoMAA&usg=AFQjCNE0vGA04uF3ScJZ_UyjC0OX752iNA

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Lance, according to this Ford towing guide the maximum 5th wheel weight is just over 14000#. You need to look at what your GCVWR is for your truck, get the truck and trailer weighed to see if it exceeds your rating. Your crew cab 4x4 has probably the least trailer capacity due to the weight of the truck.

Hopefully the link works.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2003_All.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj6s8ucmpTKAhWH7B4KHcvhCxUQFggoMAA&usg=AFQjCNE0vGA04uF3ScJZ_UyjC0OX752iNA

Is there a classified section or some where too shop for a HDT that might be an adorable option

Yes. If is in the RV, Tows and Toads section

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=25

Also go to the HDT section and read up on the resource guide. it should be helpful.

Dave

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

• 2 weeks later...

I am willing to bet you would be OK with your truck. Even my 1996 Ram 2500 has a towing rating of 16,000 lbs.

Isn't the 16,000 lb rating for your 96 Dodge for both tow vehicle and towed unit. If so, subtracting, say about, 7,600 lbs for your truck would leave only 8,400 lbs for the unit you're towing.

Make sure to read the fine print in the tow ratings, a lot of trucks are rated to tow a (60 square foot of frontal area) horse trailer and you need to do your own calculations to factor in a much larger and harder to pull RV trailer.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

My little Cummins has been doing fine job of towing my 28' fiver even with my boat behind. Without trying I almost out ran a good friend from a dead stop when towing doubles with him behind me and he was in a Ford ranger........

I towed our first 5er with my '96 Dodge CTD and it did fine stopping and handling that 12,000#. We bought a new 40' 5er with a GVW of 15,500# and my beloved Dodge struggled to just pull the thing on the slightest grades. Overloaded too! It's not moving the load, it's doing it safely, then stopping it safely in an emergency situation.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

One of the big issues is you have to look at all of the numbers and what type of driving you will be doing.

We had a Duramax dually that had the power to pull our 18000# fifth wheel trailer just fine. Braking was a little scary though. Came to find out even though we were under on all of our axle weights, we were over on our GCVWR by 2k. We went through brakes on the dually and the rears alone were $1k to replace. The dually would eat injectors for lunch and even though a new dually would have the GCVWR, we knew we would be going to a bigger trailer in the future so we decided to go the HDT route.

Archived