Opinions/Expertise Wanted On Possible Purchase

SecondWind

Don't rule out a TT that you otherwise like because it only has one A/C. In the size range you're looking for, most will be pre-wired for an optional second A/C that replaces an existing vent. If you're working with a dealer, that second A/C could be a negotiable item when making a deal. Or at worst a relatively low cost add-on.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

59 minutes ago, JimK said:

I do wonder why a well built RV should weigh more than one that is cheaply built.  I would actually think the opposite.  Hardwoods and plywoods are typically lighter in weight than pressboard materials used in many cheap RVs.  Of course, I don't shop for RVs.  I have had the same unit for 7 years.

Let me say that I'm no engineer and the weight thing is more an observation than anything scientific, but I'm quite sure that it is true that higher quality and higher weight tend to run together. There are some things that I can point out which play into this as the lowest price RVs typically have aluminum frames, while the higher end use steel and the gauge of metal is also different. Our current travel trailer frame is such that the use of an equalizer hitch will void the warranty.(It is light enough weight to not need one) I'm not sure about the weight of solid wood when compared to the Presswood & cheap plywood, but I can tell you from owning different price/quality level RV's that the thickness of the materials used in cabinets, walls, and other interior items are much thicker on the higher end units. They usually have larger tanks at the upper end so the contents of them will increase the weight. Things like the construction of drawers of wood, rather than plastic increase weights. Metal sinks, rather than plastic, counter top materials, larger water heaters, furnaces, & refrigerators, increased insulation, dual pane windows (compared to the cheapest aluminum), and a long list of other things contribute to the differences. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would have thought a steel frame was cheaper than aluminum.  The bigger fridge, sinks, tanks and appliances make sense, but I don't view that as a quality issue.  To me size and quality are different.  It would seem there should be small, light, well made RVs but maybe that is not the case.   

$.02 and keep the change!!!

This unit, while sure just a tad bit older, is heads above the three you have listed. 

Lower purchase price, for a much higher quality unit. Yes it is a fiver, vs trailer. 

If the actual price is in the $12K range. You could have it towed to where you want it. And also still have several $K left over to do any modifications and or upgrades that you would want to make it your place. 

But hurry on this, as I sent it to my BIL to look at - and he is in San Diego so could easily beat you to it:)! 

And you could even do the full deal from Texas. Hire an independent inspector to go check it over for peace of mind, and any possible punch list of items that may need attention. Finish up the deal and arrange money transfer for title, and hire someone to bring to where yo want it...

And best of luck to you on your decision:)! And moving to the next phase:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, Smitty77_7 said:

$.02 and keep the change!!!

This unit, while sure just a tad bit older, is heads above the three you have listed. 

Lower purchase price, for a much higher quality unit. Yes it is a fiver, vs trailer. 

If the actual price is in the $12K range. You could have it towed to where you want it. And also still have several $K left over to do any modifications and or upgrades that you would want to make it your place. 

But hurry on this, as I sent it to my BIL to look at - and he is in San Diego so could easily beat you to it:)! 

And you could even do the full deal from Texas. Hire an independent inspector to go check it over for peace of mind, and any possible punch list of items that may need attention. Finish up the deal and arrange money transfer for title, and hire someone to bring to where yo want it...

And best of luck to you on your decision:)! And moving to the next phase:)!

Smitty

We've nothing against a fiver, especially at this point since we don't plan on moving around a lot yet and thus will only need to have somebody tow it for us once or twice.  Have looked at some of them, and for the most part seem built sturdier than TT's.  But it still comes down to a floorplan we like in the price range we can currently afford.  Oh... and a 2011 (or newer) model.  Several parks seem to have a "10-year" rule, and we don't want to be locked out of them before we've even hit the road.

Cheers,

Ken

On 4/1/2017 at 1:42 PM, JimK said:

It would seem there should be small, light, well made RVs but maybe that is not the case. 

It could be done, but the type materials used in the aircraft industry are expensive and would make such an RV cost more than most of the buying public will pay. Aluminum is only as strong as steel if used in an alloy that costs far more than does steel and so prohibits it's use if you keep the prices down. It may be true that there "should be" such RVs around, but if you know of some, share the information as we recently shopped light weight travel trailers and found none. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oh they can build light and strong. But folks wont pay for it. Composite materials such as those used in the boating industry could change the market over night. But costs and resistance to change hobbles the industry. Just the same as out of date warranty policies. Change wont come until someone forces the industry to change.

regards

The majority of RV buyers want light and cheap. That has been proven over and over again, and is reinforced by sales figures.

The reason why companies like Nuwa (Hitchiker), Cameo, Excel, and now Forks have gone under is that too small a number of buyers are willing to pay (both money and weight) for the hidden quality that made those trailers so good. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Archived