Benson, AZ to Waco, Texas.......

Choices are heading on 70 to Roswell and then east to Waco.

Or 82 from Almogordo to Hobbs....then south and east to Waco.

Or I-10 through El Paso and then to 190 to Waco.

I am towing a small Casita trailer with a one-ton truck (not taking chances on not enough truck!!) and my friend is driving a 40 foot motor home towing a truck. 

Any information camp spots or overnight stays around the 400 mile work would also be handy.

My first time in Texas so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We just left Benson on April 11 and stopped at a blm just west of Alamogordo. It’s a lake for the Air Force Base( hollaman). Then went up to 70 to Rosewell and stayed straight through and it turns into 380. Great drive we stayed in a picnic area pull off one night too. We followed 30 to Greenville Texas but once you get close to the falls area you can take one of the state highways south. The Hobbs area roads are ok but I would stay away. The raids are dirty/oily from all the oil work around there but the roads are good. I need to look at the map because I think we have taken 190 off of 10 also. I will look but if it is it is hilly but good roads. Will post after I check

If it were me, I'd take I-10 through El Paso and then to 190 to 377 to 84 into Waco. It has been several years but when we last traveled that way it was our route. There are several very nice side trips available along any of those routes if you are not in any hurry. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We skip around to try to see different parts. We did the 190 route twice once going to Waco and the other just to take the smaller highways. Next year we’ll probably go another direction to and from Benson. 70 to Alamogordo was scenic. 

5 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Yes took 190 from 10 just past fort Stockton to Waco 2 years ago. We stay on truck routes and had no problems. I liked 70 to 380 better. Stayed out of the El Paso mess. We’re you just at Saguaro in Benson?

Still in Benson.  Leaving tomorrow for the eclipse.  Then up 83 and the great plains.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

On 4/2/2024 at 10:39 PM, Vladimir said:

Still in Benson.  Leaving tomorrow for the eclipse.  Then up 83 and the great plains.

Be aware that when you get close to the line of totality in Texas quite a few counties and cities have declared disaster status or states of emergency. Seems we are taking a page from the ancients that eclipses are a sign of doom and destruction. I sure hope you have a confirmed place to stay.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Seems we are taking a page from the ancients that eclipses are a sign of doom and destruction.

From what I've heard, the concern is the traffic situation in the event of a major emergency event. Lou showed me some pictures of traffic in rural WY after the one that are bumper to bumper traffic leaving out where there is little activity. In areas that have traffic problems every rush hour it has the potential to for disaster should some unrelated major event take place. I know that some law enforcement agencies are concerned about the possibility of a terrorist action. I spoke with an ambulance team and they were stationing units all around the Dallas County area, just in case. 

The latest weather prediction for Monday here is partly cloudy & sunny. 

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

From what I've heard, the concern is the traffic situation in the event of a major emergency event. Lou showed me some pictures of traffic in rural WY after the one that are bumper to bumper traffic leaving out where there is little activity. In areas that have traffic problems every rush hour it has the potential to for disaster should some unrelated major event take place. I know that some law enforcement agencies are concerned about the possibility of a terrorist action. I spoke with an ambulance team and they were stationing units all around the Dallas County area, just in case. 

The latest weather prediction for Monday here is partly cloudy & sunny. 

Same weather prediction here in the Austin area. My statement about doom and destruction was tongue in cheek although I did go to the grocery store and replenished stocks that I normally wouldn't and lo and behold there were quite a few empty shelves. The road in front of our RV park has a sign up warning that parking alongside the road is for emergencies only and will be enforced. The RV park which normally has a few available spaces does not at this time. 

It is going to be interesting to observe the eclipse and also the after effects. We are thinking that perhaps we too should stock up on a few things. We live in a gated community so shouldn't have any traffic problems and each of the areas of the community are doing something for the big event. There are places that we can see part of I30 and it has traffic problems in this area already due to the construction on I635 and the interchange so it wouldn't take much to make that worse. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Be aware that when you get close to the line of totality in Texas quite a few counties and cities have declared disaster status or states of emergency. Seems we are taking a page from the ancients that eclipses are a sign of doom and destruction. I sure hope you have a confirmed place to stay.

We will be camped tomorrow on private land right on the center line. 

It is the only reason I decided to make the trip for the eclipse. 

I was at the 2017 eclipse in John Day, Oregon.  Unless you were a Forest Service employee, you probably don't know where John Day is located.  It was extremely crowded. 

The local school raised 24,000 dollars by allowing us and others to camp at the rural school for three days.  I was happy to write a check for 400 dollars.  The school wanted an eclipse every year!!

There is nothing like a total solar eclipse.

PS....leaving on Tuesday after the eclipse.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

10 hours ago, Vladimir said:

To each his own.  I get a total solar eclipse every day at my house when the earth comes between the sun and me.  It gets dark for a while, then it gets light again.  Been doing it for almost 75 years now, sure as clockwork.  😎

14 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Very true! We were at a rally in northwest Nebraska for the 2017 eclipse. I am looking forward to this one although the weather forecast is not promising.