Class A Noncommercial License

Movin On

UPDATE March 25, 2024

Hubby was able to take road/skills test here in Livingston. He passed! After he passed the written test here in Livingston, he was scheduled by the staff in the Livingston DPS office to take the road test. Livingston IS NOT listed anywhere online as a testing site, but they will offer it to an applicant who uses the Livingston office for your application. 

Another option we were informed of: another driver (me) can apply for the Class A non-commercial license and just take the written test but not the road test and receive a Class A restricted license that requires a fully licensed Class A driver to be in the vehicle when you are driving. This way I can drive our rig as long as hubby is with me. I passed the written test so we will now both be able to drive our rig. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

BTW the Livingston DPS staff are outstanding - Very friendly, helpful and accommodating. 

We are in the middle of establishing our domicile at Rainbow’s End RV Park In Livingston TX. We have arrived at the point to transfer our Drivers License from Georgia to Texas and must have the Class A non commercial class drivers license. We understand we can take the written part here In Livingston, but it appears you can no longer take the driving skills test here. Has anyone recently taken the skills driving test, and if so, where do you suggest we schedule an appointment.? It appears to us there isn’t a nearby location. 
Your input would be appreciated. Not looking forward to having a road skills test…wasn’t required in Georgia for our fifth-Wheel. ☹️

Edited by Movin On
Update

22 hours ago, Movin On said:

We are in the middle of establishing our domicile at Rainbow’s End RV Park In Livingston TX. We have arrived at the point to transfer our Drivers License from Georgia to Texas and must have the Class A non commercial class drivers license. We understand we can take the written part here In Livingston, but it appears you can no longer take the driving skills test here. Has anyone recently taken the skills driving test, and if so, where do you suggest we schedule an appointment.? It appears to us there isn’t a nearby location. 
Your input would be appreciated. Not looking forward to having a road skills test…wasn’t required in Georgia for our fifth-Wheel. ☹️

Back when I got my Class A NCDL I was told the driving skills test was only given at the DPS Mega Centers. I don't know if that is still true but a little google search says the closest Mega Center to Livingston is North Houston.

I took my driving test at the mega center in Austin. From what I recall you can take the driving skills test at any of DPS Mega centers through out Texas doesn't have to be the closest one to Livingston.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

Check out this topic here on the forum.  It covers the issue in great detail and should answer all your questions.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...