On the Fence about selling truck or removing Hitch.

house

I just wanted to get some outside opinions,  I just pulled the flatbed off my 2 axle truck and put the commercial 5th wheel back on to go pick up my new horse trailer.  Made it from Springfield Mo to California without incident.  I am just concerned that when I fully load it up I will be over weight on the rear axle, So. I am on the fence about removing the bed and hitch from the 3 axle tractor that is also an RV,  but the air ride hitch is much more involved, and I have quite a bit more invested in the bed and hitch than my 2 axle tractor, but it is also a lot newer International ProStar with the Max Force motor that I have invested 20-25K finally getting to run right after 5 years.  

I guess I am wondering if I should just sell the International, as an RV and purchase another truck or literally cut the International up and bring it back to the way it was when I bought it.  

There are plenty of commercial trucks out there that will meet my needs, but since they are commercial trucks there are either a lot more headaches involved than my current RV, or I could work on going through the process of registering a new truck as an RV which is no small feat in California from what I understand.  Just kind of disheartened to undo all the work that I have done on the bed, which is not finished.  I have also spent quite a bit of money fixing many small and few large issues with the truck.  Would love to hear what you would do.

I am going to weight the truck once I get some horses in the trailer this weekend and I guess that will give me a better idea of what direction to go.

You already know the reputation of the maxxforce, so....

If it's singled and your only concern is weight, you can install a lower rating, single tire, pusher/tag axle that can fit in an amazing small area, especially since it would not have to be raise and lowerable. Just installed and tee'd into the air system. ?

There is nothing wrong with the prostar truck, only that engine. Unless you get some sort of warranty with any truck that you purchase as a replacement, you may just be buying a whole new money pit. Las Vegas?

I'm a work'n on it.

You can put 17,000 on a single axle. How big is your trailer?

You wont get much for the international. 

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta admit I just learned something.  For years, I believed the max single axle weight was 19k.  Not true.  For most states, it's 20k or lower.  Six states allow a higher weight, with Hawaii being the highest at 22.5k.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net